EVENTS SPAMMING

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Galilla Sinatra said:

Events listings seem to be getting worse with spamming from the same clubs on a daily basis.  It's useless to try to look for events these days due to all this spam.  What happened?  The lab used to be pretty strict on this issue but now it seems no one is minding the store.  

Hello Galilla Sinatra,

The forums allow creating of 1 post per event.  If a location, like a club, has multiple events each day, while it does make sense for them to make 1 post in the morning with a listing of that days events, the forum policies do not disallow the creating of 1 post per event.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am well aware of that but some people are taking advantage of no one policing the event lists at all.  Case in point - all these events at the same place and all "today at 12:00 pm."  Same event just a long number in the event name.  No one is policing the events listing.  Years ago when I had a club, I had live musicians only on a Saturday night and I had some of my listings removed by LL accusing me of spamming!  What the heck?  How is this happening?

By the way, there were about 8 more on the list here but I got tired of making screen shots!  

events spamming5.PNG

events spamming4.PNG

events spamming3.PNG

events spamming2.PNG

Edited by Galilla Sinatra
Had amount wrong (changed "8 events" to "all these events"

37 minutes ago, Galilla Sinatra said:

Yes, ......

as you see at the post above yours... it's totally ok..

That it is conform rules doesn't make it great or nice, guess people have to live with it, but perhaps stop wondering why there's only a load of bs on that list and no serious use anymore.

2 minutes ago, Galilla Sinatra said:

And the point is Alwin, it wasn't always like that.  Someone actually policed it.  

i know... and checked one now...

Time:10/21/17 12:00 pm

Duration:12 hours

NOBODY, really nobody there.... so what's the event?.... a empty sim? or ...simply FAKE .. so yes, the system works, but could perhaps better simply be removed from the mainpage.

On 10/10/2017 at 10:23 AM, Dakota Linden said:

Hello Galilla Sinatra,

The forums allow creating of 1 post per event.  If a location, like a club, has multiple events each day, while it does make sense for them to make 1 post in the morning with a listing of that days events, the forum policies do not disallow the creating of 1 post per event.

Clearly this is not multiple events Dakota.  

I'm sorry but I'm going to drop my tuppence into the mix. 

So, the events that Galilla seems to be looking at and questioning are the actual events found through the Events Search in the viewer, not the events posts that we see here in the forums which Dakota was referring to. .... or at least that's how I'm looking at it so please correct me if i'm wrong

Secondly, those event listings do get abused. They do allow for multiple posts per day, and not just per event but per person so you can have 5 or 6 avi's all posting the same event over and over every single day and filling up the events list. Also, because those events have to have a start and end time and cannot be 24 hours long, instead they are posted in 12 hour sections, and like Alwin found, some of those venues are often empty. The emptiness in itself goes against the terms agreed to when posting an event, they are supposed to be a hosted Event, corrected me if i'm wrong but wouldn't that mean you should see at least one avatar in attendance at all times (or at least most of the time when baring in mind RL and whatnot)? Then there are the store listings and other commercial businesses creeping in there too, no special event or purpose, just a 12 hour event under miscellaneous categories.

I know a lot of this we can do nothing about, and technically they are (for the most part) within the terms of the Event listing agreement, but there are loopholes, some very large loopholes that some folk and venues  are happily skipping through back and forth. It's one thing to see half a dozen listings for a specific, staffed event (which i have nothing against), but its a completely different story when its being abused for cheap advertising, day in and day out with unmanned dead "events" lasting 12 hours continuously.

/me steps off her soapbox and dives into the events search in an attempt to try and socialize

• Like 6

• Moderators

Hello Galilla Sinatra & Whirly Fizzle,

Thank you for the clarification that the issue is regarding the in world Events Listings and not the Community Forms Events listings. 

Please file an Abuse Report against the users who are posting the Events and the Governance Team will be able to look into the issue further for policy violations.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Maintenance of the events list(s) should not depend on users filing abuse reports that the Governance Team can look into. I regularly check for events at secondlife.com/my/community/events, and it is always full of spam, and repeat listings of genuine events are not the only problem. A bigger problem is listings of what are clearly not "events" by any stretch of the imagination, but are just designed to attract people to an empty shop or sim that happens to have a music stream. Genuine events just get drowned out by this rubbish. There needs to be a moderator keeping an eye on the lists, with powers to remove spam on sight and ban offenders.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Hello Galilla Sinatra & Whirly Fizzle,

Thank you for the clarification that the issue is regarding the in world Events Listings and not the Community Forms Events listings. 

Please file an Abuse Report against the users who are posting the Events and the Governance Team will be able to look into the issue further for policy violations.

Thank you!

Ok I just sent in 4 AR reports, one for each account posting the current batch of spam for that club.

Should new AR's be filed each time a new batch of spam is posted (it's every 12 hours, 24/7) or will one AR report against each spamming account suffice?

• Thanks 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Ok I just sent in 4 AR reports, one for each account posting the current batch of spam for that club.

Should new AR's be filed each time a new batch of spam is posted (it's every 12 hours, 24/7) or will one AR report against each spamming account suffice?

Hi Whirly!

Thank you for filing the AR's.  1 report against each account should be sufficient.  The Governance team will then be able to look at each account and see all of the spam on the Events listings and address the issues directly with the users.

• Thanks 1

So today, the same club posted 26 duplicate events for 12AM and another 26 duplicate events for 12PM, as they usually do, every single day, twice a day.
I filed 5 AR's again today, one for each account posting the spam.

This was the content of my AR report - I tried to get in as much detail as possible with the limited characters allowed. Feel free to reuse my wording if you think it's suitable  ;)

See https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/412912-events-spamming/
Todays repro:Seach events for "SEXY BDSM HALLOWEEN at TOYS"
Each day, twice a day (12AM & 12PM) there are ~26 duplicate events posted for Toys club, for the same event, starting at the same time with the same wording.
This has been an ongoing issue for over a year.
Ref: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-40954, which reports the same club, a year ago.
Each batch of spam is posted by 4-5 different accounts which change daily, I'll file an AR for each account posting the spam.
The accounts posting the spam today are: <LIST OF 5 USERNAMES>
I know this club's event spam has been AR'd before & never stopped, so if I'm wasting my time & yours ARing it, please let me know. 

Second Life Search2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those same ads with the same wording are there today using websearch. 

And when I use my favorite (often looked down on by some folks) legacy search I easily counted 38. 

It's the weekend afterall.

One way to not see them is of course to turn off "A" for adult. But if you are LOOKING for adult activities that pretty much doesn't work.  There were some other "spammers" but with many less listings and they at least reworded things and changed the times to sort of conform to the rules.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.