Marketplace Scam

Red Pralou

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1871 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A Seller is a fraud and her marketplace is a scam. She is selling boxes with no items and taking thousands of lindens from second life residents. 1f615.png=/ she

I bought: CURELESS[+] Sororis Obscura / COMPLETE FULL SET 14 + 2 RARES which is the new set from Salem . I understand it is a gacha set and I am taking my chances  as I have been buying gacha items from marketplace for years and have never had a problem, however when I got the box it was the smallest of a prim you can make and transparent and there was nothing in it.

I want to report her  to make sure these doesn't happen to other people, but im not sure how?

The listing is gone cause I bought the item, Is there a way to report the marketplace store as a whole?

Edited by Red Pralou
Needed to add more information to post.

15 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, Red Pralou said:

The listing is gone cause I bought the item, Is there a way to report the marketplace store as a whole?

First, please edit the post and remove the link. We are not allowed to post such things here because if we were, people would abuse the forum to post false accusations against people they don't like.

You can try to file a support case at https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

I have no idea whether LL will be able to help but it's worth a try.

18 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

First, please edit the post and remove the link. We are not allowed to post such things here because if we were, people would abuse the forum to post false accusations against people they don't like.

You can try to file a support case at https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

I have no idea whether LL will be able to help but it's worth a try.

Thanks, ill try that. I reported an abuse fraud ticket inworld as well because that is what it ultimately is. She is taking users lindens without supplying a product. Lindens equal real money. Some of these false items she is selling are going  for more than $25 USD at once. Imagine doing that everyday how many lindens she is stealing. 

Edited by Red Pralou

8 hours ago, Red Pralou said:

Thanks, ill try that. I reported an abuse fraud ticket inworld as well because that is what it ultimately is. She is taking users lindens without supplying a product. Lindens equal real money. Some of these false items she is selling are going  for more than $25 USD at once. Imagine doing that everyday how many lindens she is stealing. 

Submitting the Abuse Report was exactly the right thing to do!  This scam is what I refer to as the "Empty Box" scam, and it can often be found on the Marketplace.  Your best protection is to check the avatar age of the seller.  If they are a very new avatar, have no in-world store, and are advertising expensive items on the Marketplace, proceed with extreme caution!  See my blog post: http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2014/04/an-example-of-empty-box-scam.html

• Like 2

It is also possible that the merchant is a Marketplace newbie, or a total klutz, or both.  He may have uploaded an empty box by mistake.  It has happened before, more than once.  Have you tried simply contacting him and politely pointing out the error of his ways?  If I were the merchant, I would be totally embarrassed and very grateful that you thought to help.

(Unless I were a total thieving scumbag, of course.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Submitting the Abuse Report was exactly the right thing to do!  This scam is what I refer to as the "Empty Box" scam, and it can often be found on the Marketplace.  Your best protection is to check the avatar age of the seller.  If they are a very new avatar, have no in-world store, and are advertising expensive items on the Marketplace, proceed with extreme caution!  See my blog post: http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2014/04/an-example-of-empty-box-scam.html

this person has been on sl almost 4 years and has had a marketplace since 2013. I would think that would be a pretty safe person to buy from. Considering the items she is selling is gachas a little different then buying normal items. She is selling items that she really doesn't have. I believe the reason she is making the box as small as she can and transparent is so when you rez it, you can't find it and think you lost it because its a no copy item. i would have never found the item when i rezzed it if i didn't area search it. 

10 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

It is also possible that the merchant is a Marketplace newbie, or a total klutz, or both.  He may have uploaded an empty box by mistake.  It has happened before, more than once.  Have you tried simply contacting him and politely pointing out the error of his ways?  If I were the merchant, I would be totally embarrassed and very grateful that you thought to help.

(Unless I were a total thieving scumbag, of course.)

she is far from a "newbie" this person has been on sl almost 4 years and has had a marketplace since 2013. i have tried to contact her thru IM and notecard.. no response.  I'm pretty sure she is a scammer. 

Edited by Red Pralou

looks like her MP is now empty. that is either because i flagged her items or because she got my notecard about wanting a refund and reporting her to LL about frauding and stealing lindens from second life residents. 

either way, im glad there are no more items in her marketplace, because i would hate to see this same thing happen to anyone else. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Red Pralou said:

this person has been on sl almost 4 years and has had a marketplace since 2013. I would think that would be a pretty safe person to buy from.

That actually sounds like a hijacked account.

16 hours ago, Red Pralou said:

I believe the reason she is making the box as small as she can and transparent is so when you rez it, you can't find it and think you lost it because its a no copy item. i would have never found the item when i rezzed it if i didn't area search it.

Yes, I think that is a rather important clue. ;)

• Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 5:57 PM, Red Pralou said:

A Seller is a fraud and her marketplace is a scam. She is selling boxes with no items and taking thousands of lindens from second life residents. 1f615.png=/ she

I bought: CURELESS[+] Sororis Obscura / COMPLETE FULL SET 14 + 2 RARES which is the new set from Salem . I understand it is a gacha set and I am taking my chances  as I have been buying gacha items from marketplace for years and have never had a problem, however when I got the box it was the smallest of a prim you can make and transparent and there was nothing in it.

I want to report her  to make sure these doesn't happen to other people, but im not sure how?

hi, I hope you work it out, but just to mention that you say a SELLER and i know you cannot name names, but you mention the store and the items, and that store does not deserve to be dragged into it as they didn't do anything wrong and it can be misread. The seller is not a seller they are a Gacha RESELLER so that needs to be clear that you got scammed (potentially) by not the creator of the items but someone claiming to own them and selling them on. 

6 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

😉 you didn't start the necro, the post above yours brought the thread up

I realised, I only brought up unread today, but I did catch one earlier, just dropped this one, maybe it will help someone one day still, a bit of Necro revival might help someone warmer blooded 😋

Why are they necros once resurfacing, wouldn't that make them Zombies ?

Edited by Sasy Scarborough

1 minute ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

maybe it will help someone one day still, a bit of Necro revival might help someone warmer blooded 😋

i don't mind older posts getting at top again, for sure not when it adds something like yours did.
I just like it to to let somebody roll eyes...grins 😀

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1871 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.