Best websites for seamless textures?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The best way to guarantee that the textures are not only high quality but also not ripped ones that some pirate posted on the Internet is to make them yourself.  Take a photo with a digital camera or your cell phone and manipulate it in Photoshop or GIMP to get whatever you want.  You'll find a zillion tutorials on line that explain how to make a seamless texture (like this one >>> 

).

• Like 3

Get your self a copy of an application called MapZone, if you can, it's a node based flowchart style procedural generator, speciffically made for producing seamless textures, including making matching normal and specular maps, needed for the whole SL Advanced lighting Model Materials thing, I got my copy free on the cover disk of a 3d modeling themed magazine ages ago.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Get your self a copy of an application called MapZone, if you can, it's a node based flowchart style procedural generator, speciffically made for producing seamless textures, including making matching normal and specular maps, needed for the whole SL Advanced lighting Model Materials thing, I got my copy free on the cover disk of a 3d modeling themed magazine ages ago.

I did some searching. That sounds like a nice free piece of software. But I think, like with so many good free things, someone stomped on it to make room for their own enterprise. All the links I checked out for downloading it redirected to Allegorithmic's website, and their Substance software, which probably isn't a bad deal if you make enough in SL to justify it.

It is probably important to note that there is a difference between photo textures turned INTO seamless textures and those generated. I use an old version of Corel Paintshop Pro and it has the make seamless feature in it. Copies of X4 are probably almost free now :D.  

Other programs GENERATE textures mathematically from your input -- usually from a starting point texture that you choose.  If I need that I have a REALLY old copy of PhotoImpact that still amazingly works in Win10.    They are not interchangeable, so it is important to know which kind you want. You may need both. 

You can also make textures within Blender using cycles (and likely other ways I don't know about) and then save that texture to your computer and make that "generated" texture seamless.  So plenty of possibilities. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I did some searching. That sounds like a nice free piece of software. But I think, like with so many good free things, someone stomped on it to make room for their own enterprise. All the links I checked out for downloading it redirected to Allegorithmic's website, and their Substance software, which probably isn't a bad deal if you make enough in SL to justify it.

Allegorythmic made mapzone, they agreed to give away version 2.6 on a cover disk for 3d world magazine many years back, as they had a newer version out. It was worth a try, they might have had an old version still available as a freebie someplace.

Digging around I stumbled on this, might be interesting for you blender users.

http://www.creativebloq.com/how-to/create-stunning-tileable-textures-in-blender

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/8/2017 at 7:32 AM, stephenmadden83 said:

i know this thread is old but i looked around for a download of mapzone found one maybe the last one anywhere lol but its working get while you can download is your choice i just supplying the link have a nice day http://www.netfox2.net/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=2&lid=1022#.Wio-9EqnFMI

Thank you!   And it runs under Wine on Linux.  Wonder of Wonders!  Now to find out how to use it......

http://www.truancyfactory.com/tutorials/mapzone/mapzone01.html

Edited by anna2358
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.