Billing info refuses to update.

Jenie Yoshikawa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm trying to update my billing information, but it refuses to update.

I deleted the old card i had on file, and put in the information on the new card i have now, and it's just not updating.

Does it take awhile?

I'm not sure what's going on.

When i enter my information, the web page goes blank and does nothing.

And when i check my bank account, it said a dollar was pulled or something.

But then the dollar will vanished going back into my account.. but my information still refuses to update.

Am i doing something wrong?

Is there something wrong with the system?

8 hours ago, Jenie Yoshikawa said:

I can use it pretty much anywhere.

But not here.  The old card was apparently issued before Linden Lab changed their credit processor a couple of years ago, so it was still in their system as an accepted payment method, even though it was always at high risk.  Now that the card has been re-issued, the system no longer recognizes it as valid. 

It's probably smarter to use your PayPal account anyway,  If you ever want to transfer money out of SL, you will only be able to do it with PayPal (or Skrill). Be sure that your PayPal account is verified -- check the PayPal web site for instructions about how to verify an account -- if you have never used it as a payment method in SL. Once that is done and the account is registered with Linden Lab, the only thing you will need to remember is that because your bank cannot make instant transfers rapidly enough, you will need to be sure that you have enough cash in your PayPal account balance whenever you plan to use it for Second Life.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jenie Yoshikawa said:

Am i doing something wrong?

Is there something wrong with the system?

the info you give isn't enough... but guessing it's the card type.

if the initial payment and refund of 1 dollar fails, you most likely try to add a prepaid or debit?

• Like 1

You can also contact Billing Support - but only Mon-Fri 6:00 am - 3:00 pm Pacific Time

Local Toll-Free numbers (for Billing issues)

US/Canada: 800-294-1067 FREE

France: 0805-101-490

Germany: 800-724-4552 FREE

Japan: 800-100-3060 FREE

Brazil: 800-878-3076 FREE

Spain: 90-083-9074

UK: 800-086-9081 FREE

Long distance ( not free, but you can use Skype to save some cost ) : 703-286-6277

**Note: Support is offered only in English

26 minutes ago, Jenie Yoshikawa said:

when i check my bank account, it said a dollar was pulled or something.

But then the dollar will vanished going back into my account..

That is normal behavior.  It is part of the registration process.  As the Knowledge Base explains,

This is not an actual charge, but an authorization that we request from your credit card company.

Once the authorization is received, which confirms the account is valid, we then rescind the authorization.

At no time is the US$1.00 actually charged, though the authorization may appear on a credit card statement as such. The amount may show as "pending" or "authorized" for a few days, but then will drop off the account entirely.

That process tests whether your payment method can transfer funds both ways in a timely fashion.  If not, the test fails and your payment method is rejected.  As Alwin notes, one of the common reasons why it might fail is that you are using an unsupported card type. Again, from the Knowledge Base:

At this time, the majority of prepaid cards are not compatible with our system, even if they bear the VISA/AMEX/Mastercard logo. This includes cards purchased at retail stores, rechargeable credit cards, and bank-issued check cards

That includes debit cards.

• Like 1

Oh dear god... it works on any other sites and services i use it on.

ANYTHING i use it on.

It's a credit/debit card.

All i know is this card is from my bank and draws right from my account.

I been using a card like this for a LONG time.

And recently the card i WAS using went out of date, and i was sent a new card.

I don't see why this bank card would not work since the last one did.

I might have to use paypal...

Paypal is linked right with my bank account..

This is ridiculous..

I can use it with Steam.

I can use it with Amazon.

I can use it with foren selling sites like Aliexpress.

I can use it on my Nintendo eShop.

I can use it pretty much anywhere.

So i don't get this.

Edited by Jenie Yoshikawa

It's a Credit Debit card.

Anything that does not accept debit, often times gets pulled through credit first, and then master card will turn around and take the money from my account after they pay for what ever i am using something on.

It's not a prepaid card, I checked.

None of my cards have been prepaid.

I think it would help if mentioned that if anyone is checking the name Jenie Yoshikawa on SL that's not the account this is about, it's for Rika Tachikawa.

Edited by Jenie Yoshikawa

1 hour ago, Jenie Yoshikawa said:

I think it would help if mentioned that if anyone is checking the name xxxxa on SL that's not the account this is about, it's for xzxzxz

no that makes no difference, nobody here checks in any way what your problem is. This isn't LL support but residents like yourself.

Here you get answers based on the info you provide yourself.

9 hours ago, Jenie Yoshikawa said:

It's a Credit Debit card.

Anything that does not accept debit, often times gets pulled through credit first, and then master card will turn around and take the money from my account after they pay for what ever i am using something on.

There is no such thing, as far as I am aware, as a "credit debit card".  What you describe is a debit card...a card that takes money from your account to pay for your purchases.  Linden Lab doesn't accept debit cards, because if someone makes a purchase and there isn't enough money in their bank account to cover it, they don't get paid.  However, as Rolig says, you CAN use a PayPal account which has been "verified"...backed up by a RL bank account and/or debit card associated with a bank account...as a payment method, as long as you're careful to keep enough money in the PayPal account to cover your SL purchases.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RomyLovey said:

I'm considering quitting SL, if my money isn't good enough for them anymore.

It's not your money but your debit card, and it's nothing personal.  The Lab changed credit processors more than a year ago and no longer accepts prepaid or debit cards because they are too difficult to verify and can be used too easily for money laundering.  The Feds can come down very hard on Internet businesses that look too attractive for money laundering. Anyway, under the current system, you can continue using a card that was already acceptable before, but if it expires and needs to be updated, you fall under the stricter rules.

On 10/6/2017 at 2:34 PM, Rolig Loon said:

It's not your money but your debit card, and it's nothing personal.  The Lab changed credit processors more than a year ago and no longer accepts prepaid or debit cards because they are too difficult to verify and can be used too easily for money laundering.  The Feds can come down very hard on Internet businesses that look too attractive for money laundering. Anyway, under the current system, you can continue using a card that was already acceptable before, but if it expires and needs to be updated, you fall under the stricter rules.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

There is no such thing, as far as I am aware, as a "credit debit card".  

Some people describe their "debit" card as such because they can also use it as "credit" card - in which case they do not enter a PIN but provide a signature.  My thought is that the OP may not understand that this type of card is not allowed. Only "pure" credit cards are allowed.  Right?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Some people describe their "debit" card as such because they can also use it as "credit" card - in which case they do not enter a PIN but provide a signature.  My thought is that the OP may not understand that this type of card is not allowed. Only "pure" credit cards are allowed.  Right?

Correct.  Just because it has a credit card logo and can be used like a credit card, signature only, does not actually make it a credit card.  If it is tied directly to a bank account, it is in fact a debit card.  The new rules do not allow such.

• Like 1

@RomyLovey,

The policy is what it is, and grousing about it won't get us anywhere useful.  There is a fairly easy work-around, though.  Create a PayPal or a Skrill account, and "verify" it (link it to) your card/RL bank account.  Then transfer enough money from your RL account to your PayPal or Skrill account to finance your SL purchases and bills.  As long as you actually keep money in your online account, LL will not care what sort of account you've used to back up your PayPal or Skrill account.

On 6/10/2017 at 6:34 PM, Rolig Loon said:

The Lab changed credit processors more than a year ago and no longer accepts prepaid or debit cards

I just came home with a PIN from PaySafeCard. I spent $200. I asked about different payment methods because I don't have a credit card. I asked after seeing PaySafeCard as an option on the site because I wanted to make sure that the info was correct! An adviser quoted the same info I read and told me to use PaySafeCard... What can I do now? 

2 minutes ago, Flinn236 said:

I just came home with a PIN from PaySafeCard. I spent $200. I asked about different payment methods because I don't have a credit card. I asked after seeing PaySafeCard as an option on the site because I wanted to make sure that the info was correct! An adviser quoted the same info I read and told me to use PaySafeCard... What can I do now? 

I'm guessing here because I've never used it, but I'd say first off to try adding it like a credit card -- or maybe if your address is one of the countries that list the PaySafeCard, you will have said option on your billing page.  If that doesn't work then I'd contact Billing and ask them for specfics:

https://support.secondlife.com/billing-support/

Our Billing team is available from 6am to 3pm PST, Monday through Friday.

Local Toll-Free numbers (for Billing issues)

US/Canada: 800-294-1067 FREE

France: 0805-101-490

Germany: 800-724-4552 FREE

Japan: 800-100-3060 FREE

Brazil: 800-878-3076 FREE

Spain: 90-083-9074

UK: 800-086-9081 FREE

Long distance ( not free, but you can use Skype to save some cost ) : 703-286-6277

**Note: Support is offered only in English

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

5 minutes ago, Flinn236 said:

What can I do now? 

The PlaySafe Card is a fairly new option. Whether you may use it depends on where you live, because PlaySafe Card is accepted in some countries but not all.  If you happen to be in the US, you're in luck.

edc7db5aa47ff56fa0af998129f3ac52.png

Otherwise, check

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

The PlaySafe Card is a fairly new option. Whether you may use it depends on where you live, because PlaySafe Card is accepted in some countries but not all.  If you happen to be in the US, you're in luck.

Does it get added as a credit card.  Even though it says they are valid for the US, it doesn't show as an option on my Billing Info page.  These are the only options that I get:

temp.jpg.681b1df911b9a4befb973ac11aab6940.jpg

5 minutes ago, Flinn236 said:

I have the PIN ready to be used but I don't know how as I can't find the option on my billing info page :/

That is a very good question.  I'm afraid that I don't have an answer, though, because it is a new option and I have not talked to anyone who has used it in SL.  As LittleMe suggested, you can try calling the LL Billing Office or (if you are a Premium member) contacting Live Chat.  We may also be able to attract a Linden ( @Kristen Linden ?) to come here and post a response.  :)

14 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm afraid that I don't have an answer, though, because it is a new option and I have not talked to anyone who has used it in SL

Ok, I figured it out myself... For those who need/want to use PaySafeCard, Bitcoin or Neteller and faster payment methods WITHOUT a credit card or bank account, the choice is Skrill. You create a Skrill account and then you'll be able to use those methods to make your transactions. 9_9

I have one more question though: how long can a transaction take? I made the payment more than an hour ago (cash option) and my balance is 0. Same with Skrill account, nothing happened yet. Just asking. It's the first time I do this and I have my fingers crossed lol.

Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flinn236 said:

I made the payment more than an hour ago (cash option)

What do you mean by "(cash option)"?  Your options are Market Buy or Limit Buy.  If you have never used the LindeX before or are unfamiliar with the way that currency exchanges or stock markets work, you would be smartest to use the Market Buy option for now.  That way, your order will be filled immediately at the current market price.  If you have placed a Limit Order and have set the offering price unreasonably low, it could take forever to fill the order.  If that's what you did, cancel the order (secondlife.com >>> LindeX >>> Manage >>> LindeX Order History) and try again. 

At the moment, however, the system is indicating that you do not have a payment method on file, so I suspect that you will find that there is no current order in your Order History.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.