How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

I started trying to make a realistic Korean avie almost as soon as I joined in 2009. It was not easy back then. Most head and skin designers did not seem to know what Asian facial/bone structure is actually like. It was frustrating to see creators slap a Caucasian skin onto a head, crank up the out corner of the eyes and advertise it as Asian. That's a caricature, and an offensive one really.

So, I began a lonely journey down this years-long rabbit hole, tweaking, tweaking tweaking. Fortunately, in recent years, designers have begun to understand Asian cheekbones, nose bridges, eye sockets, eyelids, eyebrows, etc.  Here's where I'm at today. This photo is a pure screenshot - no photochopping.

Lastly, if there's one thing I've learned in all of this, when you've tweaked your shape into a dark corner of the ugly room, set it all to 50s and start over -- don't try to tweak your way out of it!

EvoX Ceylon + Moccino Gia + Velour Porcelain + 100% custom shape.

image.thumb.png.322a63574860df9b6e93922e27db9528.png

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, Jaenie Crystal said:

Lastly, if there's one thing I've learned in all of this, when you've tweaked your shape into a dark corner of the ugly room, set it all to 50s and start over -- don't try to tweak your way out of it!

Good for you at being persistent!!!  And I totally agree with your hard-won wisdom!  You rock!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jaenie Crystal said:

I started trying to make a realistic Korean avie almost as soon as I joined in 2009. It was not easy back then. Most head and skin designers did not seem to know what Asian facial/bone structure is actually like. It was frustrating to see creators slap a Caucasian skin onto a head, crank up the out corner of the eyes and advertise it as Asian. That's a caricature, and an offensive one really.

So, I began a lonely journey down this years-long rabbit hole, tweaking, tweaking tweaking. Fortunately, in recent years, designers have begun to understand Asian cheekbones, nose bridges, eye sockets, eyelids, eyebrows, etc.  Here's where I'm at today. This photo is a pure screenshot - no photochopping.

EvoX Ceylon + Moccino Gia + Velour Porcelain + 100% custom shape.

image.thumb.png.322a63574860df9b6e93922e27db9528.png

The advent of mesh heads has been great.  Back in the day, we all had the same head and you had to work really hard to shape it into what you wanted.  It was also hard to find any African American skin that wasn't just an darker version of the Caucasian skin the store sold.  It wonderful to have such a variety of choices now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1