How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..but the original actors who played the women were men, correct?

They were mostly boys, but yes. That's something I'll be playing with in some of my pics -- as Shakespeare occasionally did, most notably maybe in Twelfth Night.

ETA: I'm sort of playing with that here too. My theme for Lady Macbeth is her "unwomaning"; she goads her husband on to action by suggesting that she is more like a real "man" than he is, and she deliberately repudiates her femininity, rejecting her traditional role here as a mother. She is the one who lays out the daggers for Macbeth to murder Duncan, and it is she who uses them to smear the drugged guards with his blood.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm sure you will make a fine, um.."boy".

My favorite Shakespeare debate is "was Shakespeare an uneducated pig farmer who never travelled outside his home village and had his name used by a group of writers who feared persecution, or was Shakespear an uneducated pig farmer who never travelled outside his villiage and somehow magically had a vocabulary of 30,000 words and detailed information about Rome."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Khadijah Starchild said:

My favorite Shakespeare debate is "was Shakespeare an uneducated pig farmer who never travelled outside his home village and had his name used by a group of writers who feared persecution, or was Shakespear an uneducated pig farmer who never travelled outside his villiage and somehow magically had a vocabulary of 30,000 words and detailed information about Rome."

Debatable! 

• Like 4

On 5/3/2023 at 10:25 PM, Khadijah Starchild said:

I'm guessing you're not very serious about this, but . . .

Shakespeare's father was an alderman and successful businessman in Stratford, which entitled him to send his son to the local grammar school free of charge. (His father was later awarded a coat of arms.) William would have begun his education at about 6 years of age, and been mostly taught in Latin (the language of learning and education in that age), and would certainly have been exposed to a great deal of Roman literature, especially histories. His father's financial problems likely meant that he had to withdraw from school as he was entering adolescence, but he'd have had a reasonably good background in both English and Latin by that time.

We're not entirely sure when he arrived in London, but he was a well-established actor there by 1592 at the latest, and he spent most of his time in the city until at least 1613, when he bought a house at Blackfriars in the city. So, while it's highly unlikely that he travelled at all outside of England, he certainly knew London (and probably other parts of England from his time as an itinerant player).

As for the stuff he knew . . . well, he read books. In most cases, we can identify which particular books he got his information from based on the details included in his plays.

The "who wrote Shakespeare's plays" thing is sort of a fun game, but I don't know of any really serious Shakespeare scholars -- by which I mean people who've devoted their lives to the study of him -- who believe that Shakespeare was a "front" for another writer. That said, he did collaborate with others on some plays, and there is a lot of serious scholarship about identifying which "parts" of these plays Shakespeare might have written.

Yeah, sorry. I'll shut up now. 😏

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1