Edit cut-off is a bit quick, to say the least.

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Limiting the length of time when it's possible to edit a post is very good. In the past, I've suggested it to avoid link-spammers creating posts with no links in them, and then returning at a later date to add spam links when the threads had gone from the first page. BUT... I made my first post in this forum and 5 minutes or so later I no longer had the option to edit it. I wanted to add something but I couldn't. The edit period is way to short. At least an hour is the standard sort of time in forums.

• Like 2

I wouldn't have thought a Jira was necessary. I would think that, in the current circumstances of newly launched forum software, LL would be monitoring at least this sub-forum to get feedback. Not only that, but I've never created a Jira and wouldn't know where to start :)

ETA: (if I have time). Ty for the Like. I'm no longer showing 0 lol.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

30 or 60 minutes is a good amount of time. It would allow the fixing of typos etc. in a long post, whilst preventing the kind of link spam that I described in the OP. 5 minutes gives me no chance to satisfactorily fix the mistakes in some of my longer posts. I can't imagine any reason at all for it being such a short space of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

I wouldn't have thought a Jira was necessary. I would think that, in the current circumstances of newly launched forum software, LL would be monitoring at least this sub-forum to get feedback.

</snip>

Agreed.  Otherwise why even have this sub-forum?

And while it may sound harsh to some people, they get paid to put up with us, not the other way around.  ;)

• Like 1

I'd prefer there be no time limit.  I post regularly in the land forum.  It's not even possible to have an accurate listing of my land if I can't edit my post when lots sell or I put new ones up for sale.  Because I can't delete either putting up a new post when listings change is just going to make the thread very messy.  

• Like 1

I was surprised by how short the editing time window is.  I am such a lousy typist that I almost always have to go back and correct something.  Even if I made no typos at all, I often have an extra thought that will clarify my meaning.  I do appreciate the importance of keeping a thread intact, but as it is, I can't fix a typo I made 15 minutes ago.  :(

• Administrators

Hello!

I just wanted to take a moment and let everyone know that we are listening to the feedback that we are receiving and at this time have upped the time limit for being able to edit to 60 minutes. This should give adequate time to review your post, get a snack, go for a walk, and still come back and edit your post some more.

While we may not be able to grant every request, please do continue to provide feedback and submit reasonable requests and we will review and discuss them.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Imagin Illyar said:

I'd prefer there be no time limit.  I post regularly in the land forum.  It's not even possible to have an accurate listing of my land if I can't edit my post when lots sell or I put new ones up for sale.  Because I can't delete either putting up a new post when listings change is just going to make the thread very messy.  

I agree.

2 hours ago, Imagin Illyar said:

Maybe I am asking too much but wouldn't be cool to have a personal blog?  Even if it was one page.  Maybe even the profile page.  Then you could post a link to your blog/profile where the current listings are available and up to date.  I guess you could do this with blogger but external links are prone to misuse and thus often removed.

Hmm. In the mesh forum we have often had long discussions, lasting several days, that have resulted in notes being added to the earliest replies correcting or extending the adivice there. With the time limit, this will no longer be possible. That will mean users who share the problem having to read thtough the whole long thread to discover the corrections. That is a pity. I suppose I will have to assume the perceived benefits of the time limit, whatever they may be, are worth this negative effect.

Edited by Drongle McMahon
typo
  • Like 2

@Drongle McMahon This is very true. Perhaps some forums should have unlimited editing times. You don't want to be creating a new post to amend the advice you gave 3 days ago, explaining how your original advice was not completely accurate as you left out an important detail. In help and advice threads, further information often becomes available by later posters, with someone correcting your advice and you agreeing with them - this may be pages later, and people may not read that far. 

Edited (date and time): Perhaps the ability to add to your post like I am doing here, but the original post cannot be changed after an hour.

Edited by Rya Nitely
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2017 at 5:01 PM, Avery Crazyboi said:

If there was a spell checker people wouldnt have to edit there posts so much

Most viewers have spell-checker extensions and add-ons.  Certainly Chrome does.   

One of the things I like about this platform is that my Chrome spell-checker works here in real time, while it didn't in the old Lithium one.   There you had to use their built-in one (which didn't recognise, and couldn't be taught, SL-specific terms like "rez" or "teleport").  

• Like 2

On 3/16/2017 at 9:10 AM, Drongle McMahon said:

Hmm. In the mesh forum we have often had long discussions, lasting several days, that have resulted in notes being added to the earliest replies correcting or extending the adivice there. With the time limit, this will no longer be possible. That will mean users who share the problem having to read thtough the whole long thread to discover the corrections. That is a pity. I suppose I will have to assume the perceived benefits of the time limit, whatever they may be, are worth this negative effect.

Yes. 

Tommy, not everyone sits at their computer open to the forums, interrupted only by snack time. More pointedly:

THE MESH FORUM IS THE ONLY RELIABLE UP TO DATE DOCUMENTATION OF MESH. LL FORGOT TO MAKE ANYTHING LIKE IT BEFORE Charlar, who promised one, exited. 

It is not going to hurt anything if a thread is affected by a later edit, but we need the documentation and tutorials in the mesh and other threads to be CORRECT. Don't make things harder for an ill defined benefit.

• Like 2

There is, or will be, a similar issue in the Scripting Forum.   

Of course we try to be accurate, but it's inevitable that sometimes there will be typos or errors in examples that we post, and if I can't go back later and fix an example that I've just realised contains either a typo or a logic error, it's going to confuse people no end.   Obviously I can correct it later on in the thread, but that assumes that people make it to the end of the thread before trying to use the broken code.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.