Graphics card problem, wtf Second Life?

XxOBL1V10NxX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I tried downloading second life on windows 10 but it says I need to update my drivers card and it would not work. It says my graphics card is up to date. Idk wtf is happening with this bug but I think it needs to be fixed. My specs for my windows 10 computer is: Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)

12 answers to this question

Just now, XxOBL1V10NxX said:

How am I supposed to play Second life without a better driver? I just don't get it.. >:(

manually dowload the driver, remove the old one and let the new one install.

but....

If your machine isn't able to run the drivers SL requires .. it simply won't work.

As suggested in a previous post, have a look at the Firestorm solution.

W10 is simply not supporting some graphic chips anymore, if that's the problem, only a previous OS ór a new machine will be able to get you on SL.

Another option when it's not supporting your graphics, have a look at brightcanopy.com, that will run SL in your browser.

4 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

use the manufactorer website or google to find the right driver for your device, download and install

Yeah, but all it would do is not let me download the driver because I have the best driver on my computer. How am I supposed to play Second life without a better driver? I just don't get it.. >:(

The Q45/Q43 Express Chipset is old technology, sadly, and as others have pointed out graphics chips are generally a poor choice for an environment like SL anyway.  If you do a little research with Google, you'll find that other people are running into the problem you're having in Minecraft and a lot of other games.  Intel is not providing W10-compatible drivers for many older chipsets, so you either have to revert to an earlier operating system or upgrade to a computer with a dedicated graphics card instead of an integrated chip.

• Like 2

You could try the driver at this page:  http://www.driverscape.com/download/intel(r)-q45-q43-express-chipset  It says it's compatible with Windows 10.

However, the problem is basically that Windows 10 does not support your integrated Intel Q45/Q43 Express graphics.  If the above solution does not work, you have two options.  1) Uninstall Windows 10 and reinstall Windows 7 or 8.1, or 2) if you are using a desktop computer and your motherboard has a slot for a PCI Express graphics card, buy a graphics card (Nvidia GEForce tends to work best with SL, but AMD/ATI Radeon cards will work too.)

• Like 1

The requirements to run SL are here: https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/index.php?

These are minimums and the conservative recommended hardware. Even at recommended you won't be able to run at max graphics.

Using HD Graphics in the Intel CPU requires the system to use RAM for memory and video memory. The recommended 4GB of memory is not enough. 8GB might get you by. But, you'll need the HD chip in a 5th or 6th generation Intel CPU and even those are not on the min req list.

If you are running a desktop, you could add a video card... good cards are cheap on eBay.

Your Q45 is 2008 tech... pretty old, especially for SL.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.