app time from Lindens

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Luxen wrote:

Easy:
"Everyone have a smartphone now and he doesn't understand why Lindens don't seem to work on this app"...

;)

innernets english

is quite lucky for quite a lot of people on here that some of us ( incl. you) are able to provide a translation service for them who are not multi-english speakers 

(:

greek Wingtips wrote:

think your find the one not mentioned is not avaialiable 

Well, I got a nastygram from a Moderator about a post I made (with a link to that product in the Google Play store for Android) as proof it's "available" along with a popular blogger's recent post mentioning that its developer continues work on improvements.

So, even though I can't post links to prove it (and now I'm spooked about even uttering its name), rest assured that the product is available and readily discoverable with even a cursory search. (Oh, and in case it's not obvious: I have nothing to do with the product, other than as a very occasional and satisfied user.)

Buy why would anyone suggest otherwise? Or... re-reading the quoted post in light of language challenges, now I'm not entirely sure what it might mean, particularly "the one not mentioned" -- so anybody's guess is as good as mine.

Ok for some of those replies that have gone of the track I shall rephase  my question" why is it that Linden Labs have not created a smartphone app for secondlife " before anyone posts the thast one does exisit  which I wont mention because I prob get booted no longer can be download why I dont no ,in this day and age thinks lindens should produce an app.

Maybe a LL employee can answer the question

greek Wingtips wrote:

no longer can be download

That's just not true. I uninstalled it and re-downloaded it from scratch now to make absolutely sure.

I'm in Canada, and some apps have geographic restrictions, so maybe that's the difficulty.

(It is a one-time paid app, of course, because it uses no ads and has no in-app purchases.)

Well, whats in it for the Lab anyway? There are a thousand ways to 'chat' already out there. Plus any 'phone type dev I would imagine would be something for the next platform anyway.

Could they monetise it? Possibly but the dearth of existing third party versions (not mentioning the one already ) seems to show its not worth the bother - I mean, all the source is out there and APIs for various phones are standard part of most dev kits but no one seems to have felt the urge.

Interesting to think about though. SecondLife can function as a chat platform just like Skype or Instant Messangers, so to think that LL could utilize the profile system allowing people to use an APP to create an account and chat with people is not that extreme. In fact, having an APP like this might even draw some attention or new users to SL, at very little risk or cost to the Lab. I think it's just a matter of developing it and implementing it in a creative way that's troubling, i doubt LL has their sights set on anything like this regarding SL, if anyone is working on anything for mobile I think we can rest assured that effort is going towards Project Sansar...

I cannot mention the name but the one that comes to mind  still works if you had it installed about a year ago, it allows you to live chat to your friends and look at your inventory,

Reason I mention this is that if your on the road and in a cafe and do not have a pc at hand, its nice to be able to chat with your friends live, if a third company can make it I do not see why Linden cannot.

Qie Niangao wrote:

greek Wingtips wrote:

think your find the one not mentioned is not avaialiable 

Well, I got a nastygram from a Moderator about a post I made (with a link to that product in the Google Play store for Android) as proof it's "available" along with a popular blogger's recent post mentioning that its developer continues work on improvements.

So, even though I can't post links to prove it (and now I'm spooked about even uttering its name), rest assured that the product is available and readily discoverable with even a cursory search. (Oh, and in case it's not obvious: I have nothing to do with the product, other than as a very occasional and satisfied user.)

Buy why would anyone suggest otherwise? Or... re-reading the quoted post in light of language challenges, now I'm not entirely sure
what
it might mean, particularly "the one
not
mentioned" -- so anybody's guess is as good as mine.

Seriously?  A Nasty Gram?

I know we are not supposed to "question" moderation but perhaps it should be pointed out that said Viewer is lsisted in the WIKI under Second Life Wiki > Official Policies > Third Party Viewer Directory.

The TPVD is maintained by none other than Oz Linden.  (Page History)

Well, it wasn't nasty, really. I've just grown accustomed to having some posts with some links spontaneously disappear a few seconds after a successful post, whereas this one lasted a while before being zapped with a direct message reminding me that references to commercial products are verboten, or something like that. So, it's not a big deal, just something I haven't seen for a while, which kinda spooked me.

For future reference (and at the risk of further offending with more about moderation), I'm pretty sure the offense was a direct link to that viewer's listing on Google Play app store for Android. I also linked to a very popular blogger -- and I did rave about her as usual -- but I've never noticed my posts disappearing that link to her blog, so I doubt that was the problem.

Well, Lumiya has a very steep learning curve and is for Android only. There used to be one for Iphone a long time ago but not anymore. 

The thing is, SL and the coding are a bit too complex for most phones. The source code is open but I have no idea how hard it would be write it. Players want the graphics not just the chat.

Ok, wear a commercial hat.  How much money will LL make (or how much will they save) by spending resource to create a phone app which just allows chat?  There's really no incentive for them to do it.

Chat using offline IM's to email, works fine or choose a phone which isn't a niche 18% market share holder.

The app in question that still works allows you to IM live to many people it as if your in sl but not in an avatar state, I not sure the amount of members secondlife have ,but am sure it would make a small profit but it would also promote SL,

everyone else makes app why not LL of not LL's then maybe firestorm ? it is when this new platform come along, SL dies 

SL is free to access, people wouldn't want to pay for an app from LL to get even less functionality.  It really makes no sense for LL to create a chat only app when there are many already for friends to chat amongst themselves.

The skill set for a mobile app is different, the Firestorm team take the LL code and create another similar viewer.  To port to a mobile app is quite different.

Lumiya on Android works fine, Apple is just a niche 18% or thereabouts market share device, it's just not popular enough to warrant effort or I guess someone would have done so :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.