Creator/Merchants: Mac or PC?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

IvanBenjammin wrote:

Uhh... I replied to the thread, which addresses it to you.
:)

Right, because there are no relevant posts to reply to because this thread is not about which Platform is better, and I don't see anyone trying to make a case that Mac is better.

This thread is just to introduce a poll, that's it.

IvanBenjammin wrote:

Uhh... I replied to the thread, which addresses it to you.
:)

No, Pamela wasn't the right one to reply to, Blaze was the one you should have posted that to who was also the one I posted my question to but to which Pamela chose to respond *sighs*

Anyway, Pamela, to maytbe help with your answer.  This weekend I picked up CRYENGINE and their completet development pack of buildings, trees, sounds, vehicles, people, mocap etc.  (don't know why they insist on captialising it but I will follow their convention).  When you download, they give a nice little pie chart of statistics.

Given that they're ptiching CRYENGINE as a development platform for creators who want to make games and such like, it's probably quite analogous to the whole Sansar experiences thing into which Linden Lab chooses to throw itself.

The ~15,000 purchases will be a far larger sample of "creator types" who use Mac or PC in a game dev environment than the couple of dozen forum posters here.

Of course, I'm just stating what I've heard, so take it with a grain of salt. Macs will not support VR, or AR, and there are no plans to do so. I think this is exactly why Ebbe said what he did.

Personally, I have always used a Windows PC because I have many more options for software, and I'm a software whore. Plus, I don't like Apple's business practices, especially in the educational market.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Of course, I'm just stating what I've heard, so take it with a grain of salt. Macs will not support VR, or AR, and there are no plans to do so. I think this is exactly why Ebbe said what he did.

This is true re VR. But unless Sansar is planned to be exclusively for Occulus Rift users, I did not expect for Mac users to be excluded entirely. This thread is to determine whether my impression that a higher percentage of creators than overall users use Mac, is correct. It seems to be. 

But it has really been a relief that LL made the decision about going to Sansar for me. It would have been a terrible amount of work for I suspect no commensurate reward.

Pamela Galli wrote:

This thread is to determine whether my impression that a higher percentage of creators than overall users use Mac, is correct. It seems to be. 

But it has really been a relief that LL made the decision about going to Sansar for me. It would have been a terrible amount of work for I suspect no commensurate reward.

Well, I mentioned educators. They are why Macs are used more by artists than the general public. Most schools actually have school programs to buy a Mac. My sister, nephew, and neice, all in different art fields, were all pushed into buying Macs.

Ultimately, I have no real opinion on whether an artist should or should not buy a Mac. It's like saying horse hair brushes are better than pig hair brushes for painting. It's mostly all opinions and style now. All that said, there isn't a Mac available that could compare to my Windows PC, and what I want to do would be impossible on a Mac.

I don't have any opinion on which platform creators should use either (since I don't think they should or should not use any particular one) or why more of them may use Mac than the general public. I just wanted to know if my perception is correct that Mac use among SL creators is higher than, say, the ten percent of all users that Whirly reports wrt Firestorm.

Mac creator here. I've been working with them since 1987 (starting with a Lisa, actually), and have, ever since been using all kinds of operating systems and hardware, ranging from Mac OS 1 through OS X Yellowstone, Windows 3.11 through 8, Slackware/Gentoo/Knoppix/Ubuntu Linuxes, you name them. Up to Windows 7, doing graphics work had always been easiest/least painful on a Mac, Also according to many colleagues. Also, most graphics softeware was invented on Macs. (Aldus Pagemaker, Illustrator 88, Postscript, anyone?)

So I'd say the Mac user base for graphic designers is proportionally higher than in the complete computer user population for historic/traditional reasons, rather than pragmatic. Most Windows machines run graphics software faster and more efficient now.

With regard to project Sansar: I think the roadmap for Sansar is currently more in line with hardware that's bleeding edge but available for Windows and Linux, but not (yet) for Apple Macs.

Blaze Nielsen wrote:

(since we are silly impractical dreamers with our heads -- um, in the clouds -- not unlike Mac users)

I think you should speak for yourself regarding the head in the clouds comment Pamela. In the world of content creation Mac has always ruled and still does for quite practical reasons. The preference of Mac among professional content creators is extremely high. I agree it is something Linden Lab should consider very seriously.

Spot on!

DartAgain wrote:

Oddly, while LL is stating that PC only is the target OS so far, they have been trying to hire someone with Metal experience, which is for Apple product. How far down the road, or when if ever is anyones guess.

Actually there is an immediate need as the SL viewer (and all TPV viewers) crash with a GPU memory violation on OS X 10.11 as Apple now is compositing the desktop with Metal. So the viewer code is stepping all over the place.

The only reason why it still compiles is because LL have turned off warnings of discontinued frameworks, but it will get more and more fragile for every new version of OS X unless the code is rewritten for OS X. 

Gavin Hird wrote:

Blaze Nielsen wrote:

(since we are silly impractical dreamers with our heads -- um, in the clouds -- not unlike Mac users)

I think you should speak for yourself regarding the head in the clouds comment Pamela. In the world of content creation Mac has always ruled and still does for quite practical reasons. The preference of Mac among professional content creators is extremely high. I agree it is something Linden Lab should consider very seriously.

Spot on!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

• 3 weeks later...

Mav vs. PC...this is such a troll thread! These things always end up in arguments.

Anyway, since we don't know min. system requirements I bet many people will end up having to spend money on upgrades or new systems. It is a business expense for PC users, but a pain for Mac users as well as an expense!

Well, the stratagy works like this: You buy whatever in sansar. Oh, you see your fav creator is now in Sansar, 6 months later. You buy a similar item and replace it!

If feeds consumerism, makes another sale and keeps new products steadily coming in rather than a whole glut of reexported old builds only. Fresh builders get less competition, old favorites trickle in and you are always wanting to check out what is new in Sansar for months on end!

If the straragy =s more money, more engagement for longer of a time period...uh, why would they worry about a Mac client? You all come in later and make news for many folks, keeps the place a buzzing place to check out. Consider yourselfs not used, just conveniently and profitably forgotten...but maybe more money for you in the long run anyway, if Sansar is a hit and it all plays out well that is.

Poenald Palen wrote:

Mav vs. PC...this is such a troll thread! These things always end up in arguments.

This was a simple survey with specifically no preference or endorsement one way or the other expressed by the OP, not a troll thread. 

It was hijacked into a debate on which is better.  In reality creators, both SL and RL pros, can now use what ever system they like and do. 

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Poenald Palen wrote:

This was a simple survey with specifically no preference or endorsement one way or the other expressed by the OP, not a troll thread. 

It was hijacked into a debate on which is better.  In reality creators, both SL and RL pros, can now use what ever system they like and do. 

You are right, but I was joking around and should have put the all important "just joking" after that line.

It is a very serious issue, you can lose a lot of time waiting for software. I use Linux frequently, so so much not supported but this is changing as time goes on and it is much better these days.

Another thought on this: If LL has a streaming service planned, maybe it will be web based so at least Mac users can check some stuff out? But for Beta, they maybe out of luck for some months. I bet it will not be long, it should port quickly to Mac because they are so similar in hardware these days.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.