so i was banned from a sim, and not sure if i was even allowed to be banned

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

long story short......i was drunk in a sim, and messaged pretty much person to person...........these IMs were shared with people that ran the sim and i was banned...from what i've read, IMs aren't allowed to be shared with anyone under any circumstance, no matter the content correct? if im mistaken, please correct me

well... most likely it's used to prove you were misbehaving and report you.

Think you are lucky if nobody reported you at LL for a more closer look and possible gridwide action against you.

And if you wonder if it's allowed to be banned... yes totally, every simowner is allowed to do that for any or even none reason..

Tosibu Robonaught wrote:

long story short......i was drunk in a sim, and messaged pretty much person to person...........these IMs were shared with people that ran the sim and i was banned...from what i've read, IMs aren't allowed to be shared with anyone under any circumstance, no matter the content correct? if im mistaken, please correct me

1) You are correct that IM's can't be shared without consent.

2) However, that makes no bearing on whether or not you can be banned. There's no legal process, nor "inadmissable evidence." Someone with the power to ban someone from a region can ban anyone for any or no reason at all and there's no outside authority you can appeal to.

It is illegal to share actual logs without the consent of all parties.  However it is not illegal to relate in a general way what was said to someone else.  It is also not illegal to share the logs with LL when filing an abuse report. 

Estate owners and land owners have full rights to control who can come on their land or not so they can ban you for any reason or no reason at all.  They don't have to tell you anything either or give you a warning.

Everyone who owns a place can ban anyone at any time for any or no reason at all. So you can't to anything about that. Not even, if sharing of IMs lead to this. You are correct that IMs aren't allowed to be shared, but that doesn't have an effect on your ban. You could only report that your IMs have been shared. But are you really sure that is what happened? People might just told the sim owner that you have been rude and disrubtive and thats why you got banned.

Tosibu Robonaught wrote:

long story short......I
was drunk
in a sim, and messaged pretty much person to person...........

This is all that counts. Confession is good for your soul. Now learn from this and go out and commit not your heinous act ever again.

Moral: You don't get a pass by trying to cast your current lot in life on others.

During a Wisconsin winter, you're far better off being drunk in a heavily crowded place than by yourself. A young woman froze to death here a few days ago after leaving a party drunk, alone, and underdressed for the -6F weather.

Curiously, in SL you can be drunk in a heavily crowded place while simultaneously facing the perils of being drunk alone.

Tosibu Robonaught wrote:

You're correct that the content of the IMs doesn't affect whether they can be shared, but the restriction is not some broad non-disclosure agreement; it only affects what can be shared over Linden Lab-controlled media. If your IMs were shared by email (or pastebin, or printed in the New York Times for the world to see), there's absolutely nothing Linden Lab can or should do about it.

But that's really not what you should be worrying about now. Rather, you should be trying to develop some personal responsibility for your actions. Consider it a teachable moment.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Tosibu Robonaught wrote:

You're correct that the
content
of the IMs doesn't affect whether they can be shared, but the restriction is not some broad non-disclosure agreement; it only affects what can be shared over Linden Lab-controlled media. If your IMs were shared by email (or pastebin, or printed in the New York Times for the world to see), there's absolutely nothing Linden Lab can or should do about it.

But that's really not what you should be worrying about now. Rather, you should be trying to develop some personal responsibility for your actions. Consider it a teachable moment.

Yeah! What Qie said!

How did they share the IMs?   The LL Official article in the wiki on Residents' privacy rights says

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

NOTE
: This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

So if the chat was shared via google hangouts or skype text chat or whatever, that's OK.

Even if it was shared in-world via IMs I very much doubt LL would be any more sympathetic to a complaint about this from someone who was banned being a drunken lout than am I.

How do know your IMs were shared, anyway?   On the estate I'm involved in running, we have a strict rule against sharing IMs without permission.  However, our security staff and region managers are all very good at summarising incidents.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. You were bothering people and were reported to the sim owners for it. That you were drunk doesn't matter, nor does it matter if logs were shared; enough people complaining and you don't need logs to prove it.

Walk away and own your actions. If you were bothering people and being obnoxious, you really aren't in a position to be looking down on people over a technicality.

Tosibu Robonaught wrote:

To address your question, yes, sharing chat without consent is not permitted within LL properties. Since you're probably now going through the butthurt or "I want revenge" stage, you should also be aware that it is a rule broken all day every day during the petty he said/he said disputes that make up Second Life, so is therefore unlikely to arouse much interest.

"

Innula Zenovka wrote:

How did they share the IMs?   The LL Official article in the wiki on
says

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

NOTE
: This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

So if the chat was shared via google hangouts or skype text chat or whatever, that's OK.

Even if it was shared in-world via IMs I very much doubt LL would be any more sympathetic to a complaint about this from someone who was banned being a drunken lout than am I.

How do know your IMs were shared, anyway?   On the estate I'm involved in running, we have a strict rule against sharing IMs without permission.  However, our security staff and region managers are all very good at summarising incidents.

This other sentence in the Wiki is also enlightening:

""Conversation" means text that originally came from Second Life chat or Second Life instant messages. If it's totally unattributed, then it isn't considered disclosure. Additionally, Residents are not punished for sharing or posting a comment such as "Bob Resident said, 'You're the greatest!'"

And we always need to remember that LL moderates at their own discretion.  While they may not give a public nod to Sim Mgt sharing things they might silently let it pass.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.