Rant: Mesh marked the end of SL, in my opinion. And it looks like Sansar is going to be mesh-only.

Fmeh Tagore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think your post got truncated at some point, irihapeti. Here's a corrected version:

irihapeti probably meant to write:

am not really getting your point FMeh

to make something oldschool from scratch in SL then

- use a 3rd party tool to create the textures

- use a 3rd party tool to create sounds

- use a 3rd party tool to create animations for avatars that will interact with the model

- use the SL Code Editor to create effect scripts

- use the SL Builder to create the model by torturing triangles

then combine all to create the finished thing

+

to make something newschool from scratch in SL then

- use a 3rd party tool to create animations for avatars that will interact with the model

- use the a 3rd party tool to create the model by torturing triangles

- Log on to the beta grid for the first test upload

- Try to figure out why the UV maps that looked so good in your 3D editors are all wrong in SL

- Fix the UV maps

- Upload second test to check you got the UV maps right this time. If necessary, repeat the two previous steps until you have it sorted out

- Go back to your 3D editor software, merge, remove and move triangles until you have something that looks like a decent mid resolution LOD model

- Upload on beta grid to check what is wrong with the mid resolution model. Keep making new ones until you get a good compromice between LOD and LI

- Go back to your 3D editor software, merge, remove and move triangles until you have something that looks like a decent low resolution LOD model

- Upload on beta grid to check what is wrong with the low resolution model. Keep making new ones until you get a good compromice between LOD and LI

- Go back to your 3D editor software, merge, remove and move triangles until you have something that looks like a decent lowest resolution LOD model - if your build needs one

- Upload on beta grid to check what is wrong with the lowest resolution model. Keep making new ones until you get a good compromice between LOD and LI

- If your build requires a defined phsyics shape, go back to your 3D editor software and make something that looks like a decent physics model

- Upload to beta grid with physics

- Figure out why the physics model made the land impact skyrocket

- Fix the pjhysics model

- Upload the complete build to the beta grid

- Check for the inevitable blatanty embarrasing errors

- Log on to the main grid

- Upload to the main grid

- Go back to the 3D editor and fix the blatantly embarrasing errors you can't believe you overlooked on the beta grid

- Reupload to the main grid

- Go back to the 3D editor and fix the blatantly embarrasing errors you still somehow had managed to miss

and finally: find a way to blame Linden Lab for the lag your twenty gazzillion high resolution cutsom baked textures cause.

+

the torturing of triangles part is the same. Only the tool used for this part is different. The rest is the same as it ever was

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anya Ristow wrote:

And the trick is to find these events.

Time to start a new group perhaps? One where only events that are guaranteed free of crowdfiller bots are allowed to advertise. Shouldn't be too hard to organize and with a few enthusiasts telling all their friends and their friends telling their friends, it shuold be reasonably easy to spread the word about the group too.

I can't see a realistic way to reach the newcomers though. We would really need support from LL for that and I can't imagine they woud be interested.

ChinRey wrote:

I think Syo Emerald's reply is the best so far because it illustrates so well the difference between the "new" and "old style SL'ers - and gives me a good excuse for some blatant stereotyping.
^_^

I bet Fmeh never thought about clothing when he mentioned mesh and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't occur to Syo that mesh is used for other things than clothes and avi attachments too.

And that's the difference in a nutshell. For the stereotypical old school SL'er the avatar is a vehicle to socialize and explore the wonders of a virtual world. For the stereotypical new school SL'er Second Life is just a backdrop for the avatar. (Me, I'm somewhere in the middle btw, Dressing up my avtar is one of the fun things I do in SL but it's certainly not the only one, and not even the most impotant one.)

These new avatar fixated users aren't doing much good for SL, apart from contributing to the MP sales of course, but they're not doing much harm either. For Second Life as a whole they're simply irrelevant.

Except for one crucial detail: these people aren't going to stay for long. Right now the inflow of new avatar fixated users is almost enough to compensate for the loss of traditional ones so the number of active users doesn't drop very fast. But avatar posing is boring in the long run - even more boring than redecorating your virtual home once a week. Most of them will be gone in a year or two and
then
we'll suddenly see how precious few there are left of the traditional Second Life users. That's going to be quite a shock for many people both in SL and LL.

Not staying for long? As you can see, I have a lastname. I have been here for more than five years.

I know that mesh gets used for all kind of things, I have owned land in previous years and brought objects to decorate it. People like me keep the economy running. I put money in SL and spend it. I am one of the many who keep creators bills paid, because I care about my avatar. Because of people like me, many can spend more time creating.

And I'm part of the crowd that keep social venues busy. I express myself trough my avatar, thats why my avatars apperance matters to me. If all SL users would be "oldschool" (and by that you probably mean people mainly focused on building) SL would be quiet and empty, because builders use to hang out at sandboxes, concentrated on what they are doing...and certainly not interested in interaction and exploring.

Anya Ristow wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

Well I can't really say I have noticed much change. Clubs I went to when I started out were always full of people gesturbating and others mostly AFK whilst they shop on marketplace and listen to the music.

When was "when I started out?" If it was 2011 when you joined this forum then you've never known a time when people talked in open chat everywhere on the grid, because that started to decline in late 2007 and by mid 2008 clubs were full of what I called "club chat", which is gesture spam and nonsensical, tiny snippets of random prerecorded comments. That is, bots.

No, they aren't AFK while they shop. They are brought in by the venue owner to make it look like there are people in the club. Multiple avatars are run by one person using a bot client, and the "chat" is generated by the client. The person running them can respond to chat or IM, but their own bot chatter can make it difficult to see that someone has walked into the club and said hello. That, or sometimes they're just watching TV, or too busy setting up bots in another venue. So, actual human visitors can be ignored.

My initial foray in to secondlife was in 2009, but fairly shortlived as my pc just wasn't up to it. I walked into some water on help island or wherever i started. I couldn't see anything much for graphical glitches and well I relogged and I was still in the water and I couldn't get out. I came back in 2011 on this account with an upgraded computer and have stayed ever since.

I have never considered whether the gesturbating friends of the hosts you see at some events are bots or not, perhaps some are, but not all of them. For the most part I seem to recall them saying hi to each other when they arrive before they start showing their gestures off. I don't care for it but each to their own. So long as they don't get in the way of the music I will put up with them.

Aethelwine wrote:

I actually see much less of that nowadays because I rarely go to clubs and instead go to events with djs and people chat at them and don't gesturbate.

And the trick is to find these events. I know of one because I found a club owner on another web forum and got in her in-world group, where she posts event notices. And I know of a discussion group that posts in-world group notices because I found them years ago through word-of-mouth.

Now, imagine you are running out of things to do because these groups and venues are closing up. How do you find new ones? When someone asks what there is to do in SL, this is the info they need, not a vague, unhelpful, "yeah, I still find things to do. I don't see bots at the events I go to."

If you have a strategy for finding these events, describe it. Describe it in enough detail that someone else, perhaps a newbie who doesn't have twelve hours worth of patience before they find their first event, can reproduce it.

If you know of a venue that has real events, name it. If the event it regular, name the time.

If you know of a group that posts event notices, name it.

I've asked many times over quite a few years where people are finding live humans at the keyboard, and these unhelpful responses account for almost all the answers:

1) A described strategy that no longer works, because the person is describing how they *used* to find things. Or it amounts to "check the events list", which only works if you have unlimited time and patience, and probably means you are describing a strategy you don't actually use, or that you can't tell the difference between humans and bots so the events on the events list seem real enough to you.

2) A named venue that currently has no live humans, because the person hasn't actually been there in years and they don't know that it is no longer active.

3) A named venue that *everyone* names (NCI, Shelter, Blarney Stone). Again, this tends to be from memory, not from current experience.

4) A named venue that is empty or has bots 166 hours per week. A more helpful response would be to name the update group where event notices are posted, so one can show up during the 2 hours per week there are humans there.

5) Most of the responses amount to "no, you're wrong, SL is full of human activity" without naming anything at all.

I don't mean to pick on you, Aethelwine, but I have years of experience asking this question and in all that time only a couple people have been helpful. Almost everyone else is just here to tell me I'm wrong, out of pride or something.

When I first joined Sl seemed a very lonely place you could be in a crowd and no one would talk to one another the hubs were full of noisy people being stupid or offensive. I would have given up on it quite quickly if I hadn't been preyed upon by a bloodlines clan member, who bought me a Hud and introduced me to a premade group of friends with social events. Alot involving the War thing where they jump around attacking one another and stuff. I had too much lag to get involved with that, but having a premade social group made the difference between going and staying. They eventually fell apart but I found another bloodlines group to hang out with. In my travels I came across Hippie Bowman's sim and got involved with building, the Breakfast club and events and people there. And then I joined a motorcycle club and things really took off. My friendslist expanded exponentially. They had events, affiliated MCs had events, like one big family of people. More recently I have taken up sailing going on LCC cruises, Topless Cruises and RSYC cruises. I always contribute what I can, building advice, finances to keep the sims running, hosting, Djing just getting involved. I am now a Vice President of an active MC that runs two of the best biking sims (RRMC), and a Cruise Director for the Thursday Topless Cruises. I struggle to manage all the chats and social side of things to make time to do the things I like doing like sailing and riding. I don't think I am special.

When I first joined I was afraid to talk in public for fear I would look stupid, I still do. But once you get to see people enough they become familiar faces and then it becomes easy to talk in public and private. There isn't any secret formula to finding events. You just look for the things that interest you, do them, meet people talk to them get involved in their events and then the conversations start happening, just naturally.

As for event groups, if you like live music... then Live Music Enthusiasts is a good place to start. The performers chat to the crowd and encourage conversations. Naz Fride DJs an event at Atomic Palace Saturday nights I have really enjoyed going to, on the few occassions I have managed it (it is the middle of the night for people in Euro time). Commune Utopia has great events and are a nice bunch of people. Hippie Bowman's breakfast club on Sundays and anything he does. Helping Haven do nice events and are a nice bunch of people if you like helping people. The Caledon Group, The Wastelands, the sailing groups are all good for after parties and chatting during the cruises and after. My MC too RRMC has about 5 or 6 events a week to get involved with, some riding, some dancing and djs

There must be countless events and communities to get involved with and find friends to chat with in SL, you just need to look for when their events are. After my first few years here I now have more to do than there is time in the day.

Because of sailing what people think of as mainland is expanding through the addition of private sims on its borders, the Seychelles, the USS sims. SL seems more alive today to me than at any other time since I joined.

ChinRey wrote:

I think your post got truncated at some point, irihapeti. Here's a corrected version:

ChinRey wrote:

irihapeti probably meant to write:

am not really getting your point FMeh

to make something oldschool from scratch in SL then

- use the SL Builder to create the model by torturing triangles

+

to make something newschool from scratch in SL then

- use the a 3rd party tool to create the model by torturing triangles

- Log on to the beta grid for the first test upload

- Try to figure out why the UV maps that looked so good in your 3D editors are all wrong in SL

- Fix the UV maps

- Upload second test to check you got the UV maps right this time. If necessary, repeat the two previous steps until you have it sorted out

- Go back to your 3D editor software, merge, remove and move triangles until you have something that looks like a decent mid resolution LOD model

- Upload on beta grid to check what is wrong with the mid resolution model. Keep making new ones until you get a good compromice between LOD and LI

- Go back to your 3D editor software, merge, remove and move triangles until you have something that looks like a decent low resolution LOD model

- Upload on beta grid to check what is wrong with the low resolution model. Keep making new ones until you get a good compromice between LOD and LI

- Go back to your 3D editor software, merge, remove and move triangles until you have something that looks like a decent lowest resolution LOD model - if your build needs one

- Upload on beta grid to check what is wrong with the lowest resolution model. Keep making new ones until you get a good compromice between LOD and LI

- If your build requires a defined phsyics shape, go back to your 3D editor software and make something that looks like a decent physics model

- Upload to beta grid with physics

- Figure out why the physics model made the land impact skyrocket

- Fix the pjhysics model

- Upload the complete build to the beta grid

- Check for the inevitable blatanty embarrasing errors

- Log on to the main grid

- Upload to the main grid

- Go back to the 3D editor and fix the blatantly embarrasing errors you can't believe you overlooked on the beta grid

- Reupload to the main grid

- Go back to the 3D editor and fix the blatantly embarrasing errors you still somehow had managed to miss

and finally: find a way to blame Linden Lab for the lag your twenty gazzillion high resolution cutsom baked textures cause.

+

the torturing of triangles part is the same. Only the tool used for this part is different. The rest is the same as it ever was

I got a good laugh from this. I think, to put it more simply, that when you make something in mesh you lose the spontaneity of working in the moment. You have to plan ahead, measure carefully, and then test test test. I remember my first prim 'house' - it took me just a few minutes to make - and it didn't have a door, but it was
there
. I still haven't yet made a decent house in mesh.

I'll agree Mesh did change SL in many ways.  Whether for better or for worse I an still not sure.

When it was first introduced there cropped up those people who's attitude was "if it is mesh it's got to be good."  But it is not without its flaws and problems.  And some of it, just like some things that are built with prims, is really pure trash.

I do know some very talented builders in SL and the things they build with prims still look better than many things I have seen done in mesh.

For me personally, I doubt that outside of manipulating prims I'll ever learn any external 3D modelliing programs.  It's just not on my agaenda.

Rufferta wrote:

I got a good laugh from this. I think, to put it more simply, that when you make something in mesh you lose the spontaneity of working in the moment.

You know, I didn't even think about the spontaneity factor but you're absolutely right of course. When was the last time we had a mesh speed buildign contest in SL?

Perrie Juran wrote:
When it was first introduced there cropped up those people who's attitude was "if it is mesh it's got to be good."

Oh yes, "Mesh for Mesh' Sake" - that's a serious issue. To me the saddest aspect there are the old school builders who used to be great before they turned to mesh. There are some builders (I won't mention names of course but most of them are doing landscapes and plants) I truly admire for the great meshes and sculpts they used to make. But then mesh came along and they bought Mesh Generator or Mesh studio and ... got completely lost, producing mesh garbage that is way below the quality of their own old builds and well below what we really need in SL.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Not staying for long? As you can see, I have a lastname. I have been here for more than five years.

I did mention something about "blatant stereotyping, didn't I? ;)

But although I was exaggerating a lot, I wasn't joking.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to build the best looking avatar possible. It's one of the many great things you can do in SL. The problem appears when that becomes the only thing to do here. And btw, yes, it would be equally bad if building was the only thing you could do in SL. I must have missed that period and didn't know about it. (I was here briefly more than ten years ago and then I stayed away for a long time.)

Syo Emerald wrote:

And I'm part of the crowd that keep social venues busy. I express myself trough my avatar, thats why my avatars apperance matters to me.

Me too - and I also find time to build and explore. I guess I spend far too much time in SL really. ;)

There are also two problems when we combine fancy high poly avis with socializing, the ones Fmeh mentioned right at the start of his rant.

I'm not sayiong you're actually doing this yourself - probably not since you're an experienced SL'er - but imagine you're putting together a really wonderful avi. A high poly mesh body, a lovely mesh fitted mesh dress, flowing fitted mesh hair, highly detailed mesh eye lashes and nails (of course) etc., etc. And of course, since you really want to look your best, you only use items covered with high resolution textures and some "new materials" for good measure. Looking good, aren't you? So you go to a club to show off a little. But it's all delusion. What other people actually see, is a grey cloud of disjointed untextured body parts and clothing. I doubt there are many people who actually want to express themselves that way. (There is a builder's equivalent to this btw: set your LOD sky high and tweak the windlight to make your build look as good as possible, then fool yourself into believing that is how others see it too.)

Then it's the question of uniformity vs. individualism. I bought the Maitreya body the day it was launched and I was really happy about it. I still am, it's a lovely work. But in the beginning it also amde me feel special, because I had something great nobody else had. I still use it a lot for many reasons but it doesn't make me feel special anymore, quite the contrary.

With mesh bodies and clothing there is also a limit to how many people you really can have in the same place. Club owners and club goers are usualy very concerned about script count because of the lag too many scripts can cause. That's good of course but seriously, script lag is nothing compared to fitted mesh lag. Ten fitted mesh avis jumping around at the same dance floor, that's lag Hell regardless of how careful they are with their script counts.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Well I hope you're not going to feel that my mesh for mesh sake is appropriate here?  There are just some things that you can't do properly with prims:-

Lovely! But... aren't there a few zeros missing from the price tag there?

Sassy Romano wrote:

Well I hope you're not going to feel that my mesh for mesh sake is appropriate here?  There are just some things that you can't do properly with prims:-

In the immortal words of George Carlin, "Nail two things together that have never been nailed together before and some schmuck will buy it."

Oh wait, have I just described Second Life?   ;) 

Perrie Juran wrote:

In the immortal words of George Carlin, "Nail two things together that have never been nailed together before and some schmuck will buy it."

Oh wait, have I just described Second Life?  
;)

Only if the nails you use are long, red and made from fitted mesh.

ChinRey wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:
When it was first introduced there cropped up those people who's attitude was "if it is mesh it's got to be good."

Oh yes, "Mesh for Mesh' Sake" - that's a serious issue. To me the saddest aspect there are the old school builders who used to be great before they turned to mesh. There are some builders (I won't mention names of course but most of them are doing landscapes and plants) I truly admire for the great meshes and sculpts they used to make. But then mesh came along and they bought Mesh Generator or Mesh studio and ... got completely lost, producing mesh garbage that is way below the quality of their own old builds and well below what we really need in SL.

On the other hand there are some things that just don't work with prims.

I wanted a see through dance floor to fit a circular room that didn't have alpha problems. so I stretched out my tube added my texture set it to alpha masking and sat back happy at a job well done until I realised my prim now had a land impact of 200.

Rather than give up on the idea I added the script to it to it to make it in to mesh and load it back in to SL, rezzed and textured that and the land impact was back to 1 again.

A variation on Dilbert's Mesh tube does work in SL, in a way that the same shape in prim does not.

My 2 cents.

Mesh has increased avatar diversity. 

My point is easy enough to prove:  The big butts. (Which seem to manage to find plenty of clothes.) I know if you have been on the grid you have seen the fat mesh behinds! Also, boobs in many shapes and sizes. Plus clothes are going into fit mesh that wraps around any shape. All most all my clothes are fit mesh, now. Plus the new skeleton thing the lindens are doing; I guess will help improve avatar diversity. 

Oh and I downloaded Maya for FREE. ( just saying) Didn't mess with it much but it was difficult. The "intro to programing" course I took didn't mention it and I really didn't learn anything helpful for SL! 

Mesh's existence doesn't stop anyone from prim building. It just stops them from being able to sell it.  Was their fun in making money or the building ?  Or I guess the issue is that residents can't stand in a sandbox working together on a build because mesh is imported. 

But other than the above , I really agree with you.

I want to scream when I am in SL because it is so SILENT, 

Silent and anti-social.  So silent . 

Another thing though - mainland looks like crap.  Some really outdated hodge Podgorica crap flung randomly around.  OUTDATED and ABANDONED  

however, I bought my first land mainland plot recently and I enjoy driving the roads.  I still manage to find fun and make new friends: it's just harder. 

If you wanted to talk about Sansar:  I don't know.  I have heard so many theories on it that it is not even fun to debate the what ifs. 

Well that is probably all 2 cents covers. 

Seriously, the low prim count of mesh  is amazing. The above post talk about mesh being for the money spenders but wait = when 100 prims  can beautifully fill a whole house .....  Then they only need a tiny piece of land big enough for their home.  

Very good point made. 

SL peaked in 2009, with roughly 26,500 private regions and 5,000 Linden regions  online (31,500 total).  Then it suffered badly  from the "Homestead debacle" for a year and recovered strongly in 2010 - with 25,500 private regions and 6,500 Linden  regions online (32,000 total). Since then it is in a slow, but steady decline.

Linden Lab lost 7,500 private regions since then (down to 17,900 now) - while mainland regions (still roughly 7000 by now) mainly are held by Linden accounts (Maintainance) or seem to be mostly abandoned The overall income loss for Linden Lab (2011 -2015) certainly is worse as the region numbers indicate (roughly 28 percent loss of regions since 2010), because the 7,000 mainland regions have turned into wasteland mostly,  and because the ratio full private region : Homestead region most probably is not too favorable.

Land always was the main income source for Linden Lab. And - except a decent improvement regarding marketplace business income - the  premium account income (the secondary income source)  declined as well since 2010. Add that costs (wages, taxes, technical maintainance and so on) most probably did not decline, but increase since 2010.

Concurrency is in steady decline since 2010, but this is only another indicator for a shrinking user base.

Basically Second Life, not only as a business for Linden Lab, is back to mid 2008 level, if not worse. Still profitable, but obviously without any growth potential in it's recent shape.

This said: 3D object imports were introduced in 2010 / 2011. So you actually can conclude that the steady decline since then is directly related to mesh imports. But if you do, eveyrthing significant  which happened in the SL microcosmos since 2010/2011 is directly related to that as well: This would include the TPV like Firestorm, windlight, shadows, web based marketplace and whatever else development since 2010. You could conclude that the overall strategy Linden Lab followed over the past five years is all but successful and pretty off track, and you may be right there.

In fact, the technical progress made over the past five years did not really impress anyone, neither old nor new nor potential users, nor the media. It simply is not " felt" as being progress. Performance has not become decisively better (mainstream computers and LL servers still choke under the load), the UI has not become decisively easier to handle, in-world creativity tools have not been improved at all, customer service still is mediocre, while pricing still is hilariously high.

Seond Life lives a niche life now, and as it seems, it´s run in  maintainance mode more or less - lately since 2011, when Linden Lab decided to fire a bunch of employees and obvioulsy gave up on development for a serious, radical and probably disrupting  change for the better.

But you also should take a look at what happened oustide of the SL microcosmos. The planet suffers from a dramatic economical crisis and turmoil. Many people simply are not willing or able to hold big chunks of virtual land, not to mention Homesteads or full regions anymore. In times like these even the 10 dollars a month SL premium fee or the expenses on avatar polishing and other toys become a matter of austerity politics for many folks.

The world of online entertainment did not stagnate over the past five years. Second Life is only one niche among many, many other niches and offers on the market. Competition has become more fierce, more diversified and more challenging. OpenSim/Hypergrid, being the only 1:1, truly comparable competitor, hosts 71,000 (!) regions by now - which makes it almost thrice as huge as Second Life is by region numbers.  And nothing comparable beats Minecraft if it comes to user numbers.

It´s too easy to blame everything on mesh imports. They certainly did not help Secnd Life as much as many think, and the way the Lab implemented them certainly is questionable. But there is more than one reason for the overall decline of Second Life.

Regarding Project Sansar: Let´s wait and see what the Lab is exactly up to there. They take a big risk on SL customer  expenses, for sure. But you know, if they fail (which is likely, imho), there always will be that TPV named "Real Life Viewer".

;-)

You absolutely can animate textures on mesh.  This is one area where mesh has it all over system clothes. 

I've seen two dresses where scrolling textures were used effectively (the rest I've seen are not my cup of tea). 

There's also texture flipping (which is what I used until just over a year ago) and offsetting (which is how I make my animated clothing textures now).

When I first came across SL I was like... yay! Im going to make clothes non stop!

Then I came upon prims... and I thought, oh mai gawd, this must be apple sort of stuff or something o.0

and stuck to texture clothes for a looooong time.

Now we've gone mesh and now I make mesh things for RL.

Oh well. Clothes for Sansara maybe... *shrugs :smileyhappy:

Theres only one little thing about mesh... you've got to get over it and jump in boots and all.

\0/ <3

Fmeh Tagore wrote:

To my knowledge you can't apply visual scripts to textures on mesh other than just changing the textures altogether, no animations, no scrolling textures (and if you did scroll it would look totally messed up),

As far as I know, the only thing you can't do with mesh by script is change the actual mesh in the same way you can swap between sculptmaps to animate the object.  You may have heard complaints about how mesh can't be animated.   That's what they mean.  You can't, for example, have mesh flags that seem to flap in the wind, 

However, youu can certainly do anything with textures, including animate them, on mesh objects that you can with regular prims.   In fact, mesh offers more possibilities with texture animation since you can now have animations playing on some, but not all, sides of an object, simply by designating those sides as being the same face.

You can also move mesh objects in the same way you'd move any objects with llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast, so mesh doors work, for example.   

Excellent analysis by Vivienne Schell as usual.

Vivienne Schell wrote:

In fact, the technical progress made over the past five years did not really impress anyone, neither old nor new nor potential users, nor the media. It simply is not " felt" as being progress.

Progress it may be but it's certainly not cutting edge technology in any way. And it's still hard to see any kind of long term strategy beyond the isolated update projects.

Vivienne Schell wrote:

Performance has not become decisively better (mainstream computers and LL servers still choke under the load)

I'm away from home logging on with a laptop right now and that really drives home how thoroughly unsuitable SL is for the "average" computer user. For all the hype Second Life is not and has never been for the mainstream market and Linden Lab has never made a bona fide attempt to change that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.