Logging Chats? Why?

BinxSalem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've seen about the umpteenth person as I was perving profiles to have a pick about them saving chats and using them for their own purpose. How did this all start and what are people really trying to convey by saying this?

It's very curious to me, because I've found that this stupid warning really makes me scared to talk to these people, not because I have anything to hide, but because it makes them seem sort of dickish. Am I missing a bigger picture, like this is a way of protesting LL saving our logs? Or perhaps are these people just trying to scare off strangers?

I doubt you're missing anything. This thing you see people talking about, making claims about in their profiles about "saving all chats and IMs for my own purposes", I think it's just another wildfire trend that means ultimately nothing.

I save all chats. I rarely do anything with them. The main reason I do it is in case I forget something important. And I occasionally go back and re-read some particularly choice moments for the simple pleasure of it.

I also feel free to avoid anyone who comes across a 'dickish'. As an introvert, I am really good at choosing where I want to spend my energy. If something seems relevant to you, to who you are, include it in your life. If it doesn't, leave it behind. Objects will get smaller in your rear view mirror.

I too used to save the majority of my chats, but only because I only ever got around to cleaning things when I updated my viewer, and I thought some information was still relevant from my friends. It wasn't for any major reason though, and certainly I never professed it on my profile like it's a threat.

Actually, perhaps these people are doing it because they think they always have to be right about things? I mean, the only logical thing I can imagine is if they tend to hang out with liars a lot, and so they can say something like "no you totally DID say that you like raisins in your oatmeal, you said it in June 2012. I have the logs to prove it you lying son of a..."

Even in that case, totally being a dick I think.

Not a new thing at all. As I tend to check profiles before contact anyway, if I see this I just add a note to the profile notes (where do those get stored I sometimes wonder) and shrug and don't bother unless its important. Same place I leave aide memoires for other reasons.The funniest ref I ever saw involved taking logs and shredding them for fun..

As the log function is there I tend to assume others have probably got it ticked in. If they need to add a little 'I so special snowflake the ToS doesn't apply to ME' then meh whatever =^^=

BinxSalem wrote:

So I've seen about the umpteenth person as I was perving profiles to have a pick about them saving chats and using them for their own purpose. How did this all start and what are people really trying to convey by saying this?

It's very curious to me, because I've found that this stupid warning really makes me scared to talk to these people, not because I have anything to hide, but because
it makes them seem sort of dickish.
Am I missing a bigger picture, like this is a way of protesting LL saving our logs? Or perhaps are these people just trying to scare off strangers?

Bingo.

Pretty sure that whole disclosure thing started because of the amount of people BSing about their RLs / role in drama / alts etc, who couldn't be bothered to be consistent with their lies.

The joke being that rather than going 'Ah well, that's SL for you', these people have become ultra-paranoid and feel the need to cross-check every IM to ensure you might be vaguely 'genuine' (while being complete hyprocrites on their alts).

Just avoid them. Like the 'No Drama' profile crowd, they're usually boring and annoying people you'd avoid in RL.

People who write about logging chats aren't really "normal" people. In real life, you can easily go by visual cues or patterns of speech and behavior. Online, you have to go by what people are writing. The very same warnings in real life that tell you to avoid people are the same warnings that are going off when your read those particular profiles. Congratulations on avoiding potential problems!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.