I keep getting this You can't exchange currency. Please click here for more information

Korralin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

20 answers to this question

These are the only cards that LL accepts.  They generally don't take prepaid cards either.  If your card is accepted by LL then you need to call billing.

You may use the following payment methods with Second Life:

• Visa
  • American Express
  • MasterCard
  • Delta Online (non-U.S. Residents only)
  • JCB
  • Diners Club
  • Discover (U.S. Residents only)
  • Visa Electron (non-U.S. Residents only)
  • PayPal
  • Skrill

The currencies accepted for payment include:

• CAD, AUD, JPY, EUR, GBP for non-U.S. Residents, and
    • USD for U.S. Residents

If your card is accepted by LL then you need to call billing. We are only volunteer residents here no Lindens read this. We have no access to your account records.

Billing support phone numbers:
Toll-Free (US/Canada)
Long-Distance
The Billing team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Local Toll-Free numbers

France: 0805.101.490
Germany: 0800.664.5510
Japan: 0066.33.132.830
Portugal: 800.814.450
Spain: 800.300.560
UK: 0800.048.4646
Support is in English Only

If you cannot use one of these phone numbers contact Live Chat if you are a premium member or file a support ticket

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Not sure why you posted the same information three times. It also doesn't explain why people get this message when they have the correct payment method that is accepted. I am having this issue right now, in my main account as well as my alternate account I just made. It's the same card I have been using to make previous purchases so it just doesn't make any sense. By the way, you should fix your typing error. You are saying if it is accepted, contact billing. lol

Rather than starting your own thread to ask about your problem, you decide to resurrect a 3 year old thread and berate someone for their prior reply.   Can't say as that will encourage many to jump right in to help you.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

To me, a thread is a thread. If a moderator didn't want anyone replying to old threads, they would close it, just like they do for other websites. I believe I have seen that done on here but I am not sure. I was not berating, I was joking. You seem to be a negative person to assume the worst of others. 

I just like to respond to threads already created. It takes out the awkward feeling to make sure I put a title that people will click on. I don't like to be in the spotlight like that. It's hard to explain.But I shouldnt be attacked for replying. Either you want to help or you dont. Stating a thread is old does not help the person. 

Not surprisingly, all forums are not created equal, and not all are moderated by large numbers of staff with a lot of time on their hands.  It's also true that not all old threads contain unreliable information.  Figuring out which ones do is a tricky business, which means that moderating them to decide which to close could be time-consuming and might create more problems that it's worth.  In point of fact, SL moderators very rarely close threads.  When they do, it's usually because a conversation has gone completely off the rails, violating community standards for civility.  I have never known a thread to be closed because it contains stale information.

For reasons that no one probably understands, the SL forums -- certainly the Answers forum -- have evolved  over the years to depend heavily on the collective expertise of residents like me (and Lindal, LittleMe, Alwin, Maddy, Nalates and others in a changing cast of characters), many of whom have been in SL for a decade or more.  We often have more practical experience with SL than the forum moderators, and we have the freedom to offer advice that might not be "company-sanctioned." That's why you will rarely see a Linden posting here. We also occasionally respond in ways that a paid moderator might be scolded for -- teasing, joking, or making sarcastic observations.  After 11+ years of doing this myself, I've found that it's easy to rub some people the wrong way with off-the-wall comments, so I try to avoid them unless I'm responding to someone I know.  So do almost all the "regulars" here, but we've all occasionally said something that got someone's back up. It's almost never deliberate, though. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

... That's why you will rarely see a Linden posting here. We also occasionally respond in ways that a paid moderator might be scolded for -- teasing, joking, or making sarcastic observations.  After 11+ years of doing this myself, I've found that it's easy to rub some people the wrong way with off-the-wall comments, so I try to avoid them unless I'm responding to someone I know.  So do almost all the "regulars" here, but we've all occasionally said something that got someone's back up. It's almost never deliberate, though. 

/me racks her brain for something to say that would get Rolig's back up, and comes up empty.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

instead of listening to a resident who states I can't use my card on a new acct.

you got your answer by a LL from a openly available article, so a the least you'r self to blaim not to have seen it, now stop whining to certain people that only wanted to give advice from their long experience here.

Keeping nagging won't be forgotten by some and when comming back here huge chance your question will be skipped and miss usefull answers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I finally got a reply back from staff. Yes, debit cards are accepted. I copied part of the email where she states this,

"

In general, Second Life accepts credit cards, debit cards, PayPal and Skrill. For more information regarding the specific payment methods accepted in your country, please view our Knowledge Base article here:

Best Regards, 

Evie Linden
Second Life Support
Linden Lab

Sincerely,
Second Life Support Team"

I'd also like to add that I am currently waiting on a reply after I saw a reply to this acct to answer a security question so that I can purchase Lindens with the same debit card on my alt. Glad to know that I can do that instead of listening to a resident who states I can't use my card on a new acct.

I looked at that link and only see a section listing credit cards, not debit cards.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

46 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I looked at that link and only see a section listing credit cards, not debit cards.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Unfortunately it does not state it in the link. But the staff did state it in the email. My guess is they did not update the page to include that information.

8 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Unfortunately it does not state it in the link. But the staff did state it in the email. My guess is they did not update the page to include that information.

Or the person who sent that e-mail gave you incorrect information.

• Like 3

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

I highly doubt that as my debit card went through. Then I was asked to answer my security question so I can use my debit card on my alt account. Websites aren't always updated, that is why it is better to get all the information from the official staff.

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That sure wouldn't be the first time.  

If it is billing related, I'd probably only trust whatever the folks on the phone at the billing number said. 

3 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Kitteh, and others...

There's no need to get snippy with each other.  I think that Evie Linden, and everyone else, is actually correct...but you have to take what she said in context. (Keep in mind that LL has a long history of saying things that seem to mean one thing, but are actually weasel-worded Lawyer Speak.)

IN GENERAL, Linden Lab does not accept debit cards or prepaid cards or gift cards, only major credit cards...as shown by their list here on the website.  However, LL does accept SOME debit or prepaid cards in certain situations. 

For example, the Mastercard PaySafe prepaid card can be used to back up a Skrill account in many countries, and Skrill can then be used as a payment method for Second Life.  (SL does not accept the PaySafe card directly as a payment method.) 

Also, in many countries, the Visa Electron debit card can be used as a payment method for SL (but not in the USA, Visa doesn't offer Electron here). 

Finally, if you back up your PayPal or Skrill account with a real life bank account (which often has a debit card associated with it!), you can use either PayPal or Skrill as a payment method for SL, provided you keep enough money in your PayPal or Skrill balance to pay charges from LL immediately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think that Evie Linden, and everyone else, is actually correct...but you have to take what she said in context. (Keep in mind that LL has a long history of saying things that seem to mean one thing, but are actually weasel-worded Lawyer Speak.)

Thanks, Lindal.  Your explanation is pretty complete. The Lab updated that page in the Knowledge Base within the past year or so, along with many others. It was part of the new look. I suspect it was then that the previous mention of debit cards was deleted.  As you know, and as others have said in different ways, almost all debit cards are now unacceptable, so it's much easier to minimize confusion by simply leaving them out of the basic article in the Knowledge Base.  That saves going through lengthy discussions and arguments ("But his card works!  Why not mine?").  In those few special cases that you mentioned, some debit cards do work, and support can help identify those (sometimes).  And, of course, any that were active and grandfathered into the system will work until something is updated by the user or the issuing company.  Because debit cards and prepaid cards are almost always problematic, the best advice is still to avoid using them.

Also, note that the only way to transfer funds out of SL is through a PayPal account, so that's probably the most useful payment method to choose for SL. As you said, the backup funding source you use for the PayPal account is immaterial as far as Linden Lab is concerned, as long as you always keep a cash balance in the account.

To me, a thread is a thread. If a moderator didn't want anyone replying to old threads, they would close it, just like they do for other websites. I believe I have seen that done on here but I am not sure. I was not berating, I was joking. You seem to be a negative person to assume the worst of others. 

I just like to respond to threads already created. It takes out the awkward feeling to make sure I put a title that people will click on. I don't like to be in the spotlight like that. It's hard to explain.But I shouldnt be attacked for replying. Either you want to help or you dont. Stating a thread is old does not help the person. 

8 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you got your answer by a LL from a openly available article, so a the least you'r self to blaim not to have seen it, now stop whining to certain people that only wanted to give advice from their long experience here.

Keeping nagging won't be forgotten by some and when comming back here huge chance your question will be skipped and miss usefull answers.

You are a very rude person. I am sure you know you shouldn't harass people in a forum. The link,I had already read before contacting support. I do not like how you make your assumptions into facts about me. It's uncalled for. The staff member mentions debit cards are accepted. It does NOT state that in the link. Not every page is updated, remember that. Now do not reply to me if you are going to continue to harass me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

You are a very rude person......if you are going to continue to harass me.

harras?...

rude?..nah, just a bit forward and direct, even soft compared to what i been before, but taking my pills a bit more often, you should take some too.

9 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

harassment

(either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or grant sexual favors, apply illegal pressure to collect a bill, or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious.

a. not systematic.. just told you once that you did get the same link as you had before... and explaining you asked help to fellow residents as you, who try to help you with their experience, but who you burn down because you don't get the anwer you wanted.
b. unwanted, ... well i don't doubt your precious soul is hurted fast
c. no threats, nor demands
d. i have no racial prejidice, no personal malice, not wanting you quiting a job, and for absolutely no intentions for sexual favors.
e. i'm not asking you to pay bills for me, nor making you my slave, or fearful nor anxious

On 8-6-2018 at 6:41 AM, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Not sure why you posted the same information three times. It also doesn't explain why people get this message when they have the correct payment method that is accepted. I am having this issue right now, in my main account as well as my alternate account I just made. It's the same card I have been using to make previous purchases so it just doesn't make any sense. By the way, you should fix your typing error. You are saying if it is accepted, contact billing. lol

who's harrasing?..your post totally fits in the description of it... including demandings...

I finally got a reply back from staff. Yes, debit cards are accepted. I copied part of the email where she states this,

"

In general, Second Life accepts credit cards, debit cards, PayPal and Skrill. For more information regarding the specific payment methods accepted in your country, please view our Knowledge Base article here:

Best Regards, 

Evie Linden
Second Life Support
Linden Lab

Sincerely,
Second Life Support Team"

I'd also like to add that I am currently waiting on a reply after I saw a reply to this acct to answer a security question so that I can purchase Lindens with the same debit card on my alt. Glad to know that I can do that instead of listening to a resident who states I can't use my card on a new acct.

Edited by Kytteh Wytchwood
problem almost solved - adding this info

Edited by Kytteh Wytchwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.