The ONE Unmakable item on SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Its obvious that just about anything you can think of can be made here in the virtual world and even get it to work like in RL OR how you would assume they would  if they actually existed in RL. BUT I think I have come upon 1 (one) thing that is in virtually every house yet cannot be made to function likewise in SL.

Care to guess what it is?

JamieThunder wrote:

Its obvious that just about anything you can think of can be made here in the virtual world and even get it to work like in RL OR how you would assume they would  if they actually existed in RL. BUT I think I have come upon 1 (one) thing that is in virtually every house yet cannot be made to function likewise in SL.

Care to guess what it is?

Hmmmm...I can only think of an iron, but it is not to be found in every virtual house....an electric cooker then? :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Nope..... I think even and iron and Cooker could be made to APPEAR to be working by adding some 'Steam" coming from the iron and "smoke" from the cooker. What I,m thinking of does not even have moving parts YET cannot seem to be capable of being duplicated to function as what it does in RL

JamieThunder wrote:

Nope..... I think even and iron and Cooker could be made to APPEAR to be working by adding some 'Steam" coming from the iron and "smoke" from the cooker. What I,m thinking of does not even have moving parts YET cannot seem to be capable of being duplicated to function as what it does in RL

Opaque walls?

you can use water as a mirror, ok so you would have to turn your house 90 degrees to get the mirror on a wall, but it can be done.  I like the idea of building on a 90 degree angle it gives a sim a 256x 4096 foot print to build on

https://zonjacapalini.wordpress.com/guides/mirror-water/

here's an other mirror like effect in SL using synchronized animations. 

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2010/07/sl-mirror.html

Vampires can have mirrors :)

The old way of creating "reflections" was to build a copy of the room in reverse on the other side of the reflective surface.

I have a dresser with mirror in my inventory that I used to use with Clover where we could brush each others hair.  I toyed with the idea of grabbing the profile pic of whoever sat in the chair to texture the mirror but it just looked silly.  I eventually took a pic of Clover in the chair at an angle and put that on the mirror behind a "glass" surface and called it good.

That reminds me of an other old trick I forgot about, I have a mirror that you would sit on and the animation would put your avatar behind the mirror but force you camera view to be looking at the mirror from the front. 

An other way that would give a real mirror like effect would be to have a bot with a web cam looking out of the mirror streaming that image to media on a prim.

I just tried making the mirror from water in a sandbox and it looks acceptable. The reflection is very pixelated but still detailed. The code to render reflections is there. I wonder why it cant just be added for mirrors.

On an aside, there aren't many sandboxes with water. Plum is the only one I know. Azure islands had one before too.

Bree Giffen wrote:

I just tried making the mirror from water in a sandbox and it looks acceptable. The reflection is very pixelated but still detailed.

By tweaking the water settings it is possible to make the reflection on the water quite good.

To get rid of the jagged edges on the reflection, do this:

Tweak the debug setting “RenderWaterRefResolution”, change it to something like 2048, then turn Advanced Lighting off and then immediately back on. It’ll work some magic and makes the reflection on the water pretty clear.

Like this:

Mirror-test.jpg

To enhance the clarity even more you can take the snapshot in very high resolution.

Like 5760 x 3084 pixels for example.

Bree Giffen wrote:

I just tried making the mirror from water in a sandbox and it looks acceptable. The reflection is very pixelated but still detailed. The code to render reflections is there. I wonder why it cant just be added for mirrors.

On an aside, there aren't many sandboxes with water. Plum is the only one I know. Azure islands had one before too.

all the channel test sand boxs have at least one sim with partial water.

JamieThunder wrote:

Mirror!!!!!

Just can't make one to REFLECT in SL !!! Imagine if you could. You could look into a virtual pond and see your face. Our Avi's could have SHADOWS!!!

You can have reflections in water as long as it's 'grid water' - i.e. the sea or rivers and pools made by lowering the terrain below sea level.

Also you can have shadows in SL, and very good they are too, if you set the graphics to 'advanced lighting' and enable 'shadows' but it does slow my computer down somewhat.

Am I right that LL experimented with proper reflections a few years ago, and for a very brief period one could see reflections in mirrors?  Perhaps it was just with a test viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.