What or Who brought you into SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was looking through my bookcase this morning for something exciting to read and found myself looking for the reason I came to SL.

I was off work and going through a reading phase. I was reading a book, (can't remember the name of it but I will look for it), and one of the characters in it was a hit man who kept getting confused about his real life and his second life, and his thoughts that he wished he had the super fast car he had in his secret second life for work in his real life, and he looked forward every night to being able to slip into his SL, where women loved him, he had a fleet of fast cars, a boat and he could fly rather than this stupid walking he was expected to do in his first life.

Was only later in the book when it mentioned he went to a hotel room, logged onto his second life and slipped into the world he thought he deserved, that I realised this was a computer game. I didn't for one minute expect to find anything on the internet, afterall the book was fiction, but lo and behold, googled Second Life and up it popped. The book had made it seem quite exciting and so in I came.

So, who or what inspired you to join Second Life.

:smileyhappy: very good friend of mine is responsible for me crash landin into the SL world dj for his station he added club to SL i cane with him met the most amazin indivual ever thanks to SL my partner ..so music was ultimatley trsponsible for my life changin expierience of join the SL network

I've always been playing adventure rp games on the pc for about the last 20 years or so. Early 2007 i saw a documentary about SL on Dutch televsion which made me very curious about this "game". So i wanted to see for myself what it was like and started in February 2007 with my first avi to try it out. About 1 month later i created this avi in which i felt more myself :smileyhappy:

An article in Wired magazine said you could join for free, with the subtext that although the virtual world was sold on the basis of the delightfully constructed user content, that it was a great place to get your rocks off if you were a fat geek living in your mother's basement. I was suffering from self-esteem problems at the time and thought it would be a great place to meet people that would improve my self-confidence, by demonstrating that however badly off I thought I was, there were people with bigger personality problems.

I ran into a SL mentor on another website

She Invited me in . I I took the offer.

She showed me around for a few weeks and  it inspired me. It amazed me. I took it to heart and started building 2 weeks into the game.. I was like wow! This place is awesome!

Then started doing business ever since.

I did come before about 6 months prior to meeting her and  tossed it because I didn't know what It was about LOL

But thankful I ran into her on a website..

I will never forget her name tho :)

Eva Williamson

Cato Badger wrote:

An article in Wired magazine said you could join for free, with the subtext that although the virtual world was sold on the basis of the delightfully constructed user content, that it was a great place to get your rocks off if you were a fat geek living in your mother's basement. I was suffering from self-esteem problems at the time and thought it would be a great place to meet people that would improve my self-confidence, by demonstrating that however badly off I thought I was, there were people with bigger personality problems.

th_rofl.gif

A good friend first introduced me to SL as she knew I had just quit smoking and was "climbing the walls" looking for something to do that would grab my attention and keep me focussed for a while.  Well it definitely did that!  I was completely new to online 'games' apart from scrabble :smileyhappy: so I didn't even know how to walk.  I ended up swapping one addiction for another.

@Jazleen: Those programmes don't seem to be on when I get control of the TV handset. By the way, you do realise that oe of the frequent postes amongst us is a veteran of such shows, apparently. (Not giving away anything about her rl that she has not posted in these forums already by the way, but not posting her name just in case.)

I used to be very active in a text-based fantasy role playing forum, where you could be just about anything you could imagine, from an ultra-powerful God/Goddess, to a helpless kitten. The site itself was PG-13, but it wasn't uncommon for players to do an 'off-scene' interaction with each other via ICQ Chat or some other private communication, to play out parts of the interactions that were too 'adult-rated' for the forums themselves. 

One of my two main characters in that forum, also named Ceera, had established a relationship with another player's character. We referred to each other as 'companions' and went on adventures and dates together in the role playing sessions. Her character was a Kitsune, and mine was a human magic user who could shape-shift, and who, when out with my Kitsune friend, tended to assume the form of an anthro vixen, to match my friend's species generally. We really enjoyed role playing with each other and with our friends, but the forum itself was slowly closing down, as the founding members (including the person who owned the domain and paid for the servers) lost interest and moved on to other things. I noticed eventually that my friend, like many of the other people who I played with, was spending less and less time in that set of forums. So I asked her where she was spending that time, and she told me she had started playing in Second Life.

I had heard of Second Life several years earlier, but at the time didn't have a computer that had powerful enough graphics to access the grid. When my friend said that was where she was preferring to spend her time, I looked into it again, and found that the computer I now had was just barely capable of accessing SL. So I set up and account and went in-world, in to follow my friend. We soon met and continued our role playing in Second Life, sharing a home and enjoying the more visual environment and the freedom to express ourselves as consenting adults when the mood struck us to do so. Soon after that, the text-based forum we used to play in shut down, and we switched entirely to interacting with each other in SL.

A year later, we became Partners. I've been in SL over 5 years now, and she is still my Partner here.

All of this has always been with the understanding that the relationship we where acting out was a fantasy between the two fictional characters, and that under no circumstances should it be expected that more than platonic friendship existed between the two people typing at their keyboards. It's worked pretty well for us.

I read an article about SL, visited the website, and decided to try it out.  It was so confusing at first but I stuck with it and have been fortunate to meet a few people who I call my closest, dearest friends.  SL has gone through many changes since I rezzed four years ago, some positive, some not so, but it is an amazing world.

I first heard about virtual worlds from a gruesome article that detailed how a couple let their real baby die from neglect because they were so engrossed in caring for their virtual baby. Second Life was not the world they were playing but I did become interested in what a virtual world was so I did a google search, found Second Life, and joined! I remember thinking, 'How can anyone get that engrossed in a virtual world?' and while I still don't understand getting as engrossed as they did-letting their baby die-I certainly now understand the draw and appeal of virtual worlds! I spend way more time in SL than I ever would have thought I would. But it's all good! :smileyvery-happy:

i joined second life because of an article i read in a magazine i first heard of SL a year or two before i joined when one day i'd been watching day time TV and there was an interview with a couple that had met and married in RL through meeting in SL and getting married the article in the magazine was of the same vein so i decided to find out what it was all about

Coworker was rendering some stuff, trying to model them into SL, so I went in to take a peek. System wasn't able to keep up with it, a bit of drama going on, decided to spend my time with those "books" things.

Didn't come back for another 2 years. Podcast Pickle had been mentioning it a bunch of times, and there was a storytelling contest going on where the others were milling about here, so I figured might as well take another peek.

Kinda got stuck the second time.

The company i worked for at the time was asked to develop a sim for a client in SL, and for some random reason I was selected to project manage it.  The money flowed well for a year or so and then everyone who paid real money seemed to lose interest.....

..... but I didnt!

A/Z

I found SL when I was dealing with a bad breakup not too long after I had my daughter. It was in 2007 and SL was really exploding with activity and whatnot and I really needed some way to escape what I can now accept was the result of some pretty bad PPD and horrible timing on the part of my ex. Somewhere where I could discover new things and have something and someone to look forward to that didn't cause me fear and anxiety.

The first person I met here was so good to me. He helped me un-Ruth myself, showed me around, showed me how to add to friends lists, and was my companion my entire first week. We ended up dating for several months and even when I hit the brakes on remaining exclusive our relationship continued to deepen and we remained BFFs in SL my entire time here.

I think I must have been just reading stuff online and something mentioned SL - I can't exactly remember how I found out about it. But it intrigued me and when I saw the website it looked like something I could get lost in that could help me relearn how to have fun. I credit it with helping me through what will hopefully be the most difficult time of my life, and in the end, I think I came out okay.

Jazleen Raynier wrote:

So, who or what inspired you to join Second Life.

Fantabulous question.  It was a feature on a television news thingy that I first got wind of this SL....I didn't even think about it until about a year later......soooooo late one dark and stormy night, her fingers danced across the keys, and Solaria was born.  I'd box her back up, but it's too late for that now. :)

I was watching a cute little video series called Imaginary B##ches about a woman who developed some imaginary friends because all her real friends were in relationships and she wasn't.  The RL friends were trying to fix her up with this guy who was involved in SL.  One of the imaginary friends flirts with the guy and he excuses himself and goes to his room.  He is gone for some time and she goes looking for him and finds him cybering. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.