Last names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last I heard when LL was going to put in this display name crap, there was still going to be last names to choose from. Well I tried making a new account today and I didn't see anything saying I could change my last name from 'Resident'. What happened LL? What if I want the same first name someone already took without using numbers or extra letters? That's pretty brash to new users who are too late to pick up a name they want.

I agree there with you the old second life was a way better and It would be nice to have a different surname to chose for the

default avatar last name ( whitout using that display name thing ).

A reason more to love my old avatar and keep it:smileywink:

But see the positive side of this thing now we finally live in a world where we all are brothers and sisters......

Linda Brynner wrote:

LL earlier has blogged second names would end. However i do agree it is not the best call from LL.

But why not sign up like First name_Lastname, or Firstname-Lastname.

It's how i would do it. Chances are nill that it is already taken.

Names with underscore or dashes are not allowed in the new naming scheme.  Only letters and numbers are allowed.  Not even a space is allowed.  And all the good names are gone, so it makes it very hard to come up with a decent name and it will only get worse.  I hope LL will go back to the the first name last name choice.  That is what other SL type worlds do.  But its just my opinion. :)

We had a good system, IMHO. Now we're going to get more and more garbage usernames. relm, relm1234, xxxrelmxxx, whatever. And display names be darned (can we say darned here?) because I don't have them turned on. I want to know who I'm dealing with. (Yes, I can find out, but I want it to be painfully obvious with no effort.)

Well I am glad with this new system. The old system was too constrictive and didn't fit a community where you are able to customize everything.

You want a certain surname? Get it. There's nothing from stopping you now. You're not happy with the name you picked? Then change it. You can now. Because we can be creative with our names now.

The name you make when you signup is just something you can use to log into SL. It will show up on contest boards, radars and the like (at least for now) as well as to people who opt not to see display names, but otherwise you can use a display name to pick any first name and surname you want. Or even multiple names.

That's freedom. That's creativy. In my book, that's a good thing.

LL's plan from day one on the Display Names and new name registration was to eliminate surnames.

The way you do it now is to just mash things together, and add a number if you must, and then use Display Names to make it pretty in-world.

Let's say you want to be "Paul J. Franklin" in-world. Register as "PaulJFranklin", or if that is already taken, as "PaulJFranklin29" or "PaulJFranklinNJ", and then in-world, set your display name to "Paul J. Franklin". 

With all single-name login accounts, you get a default 'surname' of "Resident", but that is only for backward compatibility with the old Viewers and old scripts, so if a script returns the old surname value, it will display "Resident" instead of nul, and if you need to enter a surname, you enter Resident rather than leaving that field blank.

If I meet "Paul J. Franklin" in-world, and I am still on the old 1.23.5 Viewer, I would see you as ""PaulJFranklin29 Resident". With a display names capable viewer, I would see you as "Paul J. Franklin (PaulJFranklin29)".

For a limited time it remains possible to use some third-party registration sites to obtain 'real' surnames from the last available set of old lists. I made two new accounts a week or so ago that way, and they work fine. But eventually that option will fade away.

Probably once LL released Mesh, the older viewers will become obsolete, and everyone will be forced to use a viewer that can see display names.

Ceera Murakami wrote:

LL's plan from day one on the Display Names and new name registration was to eliminate surnames.

The way you do it now is to just mash things together, and add a number if you must, and then use Display Names to make it pretty in-world.

Let's say you want to be "Paul J. Franklin" in-world. Register as "PaulJFranklin", or if that is already taken, as "PaulJFranklin29" or "PaulJFranklinNJ", and then in-world, set your display name to "Paul J. Franklin". 

With all single-name login accounts, you get a default 'surname' of "Resident", but that is only for backward compatibility with the old Viewers and old scripts, so if a script returns the old surname value, it will display "Resident" instead of nul, and if you need to enter a surname, you enter Resident rather than leaving that field blank.

If I meet "Paul J. Franklin" in-world, and I am still on the old 1.23.5 Viewer, I would see you as ""PaulJFranklin29 Resident". With a display names capable viewer, I would see you as "Paul J. Franklin (PaulJFranklin29)".

For a limited time it remains possible to use some third-party registration sites to obtain 'real' surnames from the last available set of old lists. I made two new accounts a week or so ago that way, and they work fine. But eventually that option will fade away.

Probably once LL released Mesh, the older viewers will become obsolete, and everyone will be
forced
to use a viewer that can see display names.

We may be forced to use a v2 variant one day but that doesn't mean everyone will turn display names on.  I have no intention of doing so, therefore if someone signs up as HotXXHunk2011 that's all I'll see and that's what I'll call them; their unchanging, permanent username.

Is it my imagination or have you changed your opinion on display names?

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Ceera Murakami wrote:

.....Probably once LL released Mesh, the older viewers will become obsolete, and everyone will be
forced
to use a viewer that can see display names.

We may be
forced
to use a v2 variant one day but that doesn't mean everyone will turn display names on......

I keep it turned off since it was buggy upon implementation and causing "???" to come up instead of user names or display names.  I have no interest in turning it back on.  I can only imagine how many new users left after viewing such a basic flaw under the impression that the whole platform is beta.

• 4 weeks later...

Ceera Murakami wrote:If I meet "Paul J. Franklin" in-world, and I am still on the old 1.23.5 Viewer, I would see you as ""PaulJFranklin29 Resident". With a display names capable viewer, I would see you as "Paul J. Franklin (PaulJFranklin29)".

I have usernames turned off, so I'd see him as Paul. J. Franklin. Even with usernames turned off, you still see the username if you mouseover a resident. I am not sure I understand why usernames are such a big deal.

Sion Pearl wrote:

I have usernames turned off, so I'd see him as Paul. J. Franklin. Even with usernames turned off, you still see the username if you mouseover a resident. I am not sure I understand why usernames are such a big deal.

because usernames are constant and unchangeable, whereas display names can be duplicated. for instance, I could set my display name to "Scion Pearl" and pretend to be you.... which might not be a big deal for some people, but it means if you are a content creator I can screw with your customers, and if I'm I'm a griefer, I can get you in trouble for what I did...

additionally display names are often used by griefers to make it even harder to report them (for people that can't see their usernames) by using extended unicode characters. as well as to try to get around policies on g rated land or general LL policies (names/groups are not supposed to have foul or abusive language in them)

The original implementation simply was not thought through thoroughly.  If I recall correctly the largest group to complain were the Merchants who had and have a legitimate need to know who is who when dealing with customers.

Some have suggested one of the reasons LL dropped the original system was that it was too 'difficult.'  People weren't getting past the registration stage just cause they couldn't find the name choice they wanted.

If anything, IMHO, they should have went with a first name/last name option.  Not the single name choice where if someone wants "Mary," they need to be Mary2538708363972683562.

When I signed up I wanted to use my RL first name.  Sadly it was taken with every available surname at the time.  So I used a variant of my name.  Silly thing now is people oft times read it as "Pierre."  It's "Perrie," rhymes with "Teri."  I may make love like a French man but I am not French.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.