Another BIG Friday question.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Assuming that SL V2 gets written and released before you all die, or are suffering senile dementia, or are bankrupted by Tutankhamun's Syndrome (buying stuff in the current world that won't transfer to the next) how much would you be prepared to pay (one-off, monthly, or by-the-minute) for something that definitely won't be a step-change beyond the current SL experience, and in fact may be hobbled by the need to make it available on the small screens of smartphones?

[Note that neither Ebbe, nor any of the other SL mouthpieces, has indicated that SL V2 would be made available without charge.]

Well...

I can live with all the rest...

but I cannot live with:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Assuming that SL V2.....

there is NOT an SL V2...

There is a new project called high fidelity and has NOTHING to do with SL or a SL 2 or a whatever people want to present as a substitute of our beautifull world.

I can take everything, but I had enough with e name of.... Secondlife No2 .....

LL is working on a new virtual world.  They've been very clear about that and a few people have seen it already.  (Those people are also under NDAs.)  Some outsiders call this project some variation of "Second Life 2."  LL have their own name for their project which they've wisely decided to keep to themselves to avoid the branding implications, among other things.  

All kinds of rumors are flying about it at this point, many of them laughably false.  We'll see later if keeping so quiet about things was a good idea or a bad idea.  My bet is that LL are doing the right thing.

There is a separate project/company called High Fidelity.  

beethros Karas wrote:

Well...

I can live with all the rest...

but I cannot live with:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Assuming that SL V2.....

there is NOT an SL V2...

There is a new project called 
 and has NOTHING to do with SL or a SL 2 or a whatever people want to present as a substitute of our beautifull world.

I can take everything, but I had enough with e name of.... Secondlife No2 .....

High Fidelity has nothing to do with the new virtual world LL is creating, and yes...they are creating one as has been in the news quite a bit a few months ago. Ebbe Linden even participated for a while in this forum, about this new product.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Assuming that SL V2 gets written and released before you all die, or are suffering senile dementia, or are bankrupted by Tutankhamun's Syndrome (buying stuff in the current world that won't transfer to the next) how much would you be prepared to pay (one-off, monthly, or by-the-minute) for something that definitely won't be a step-change beyond the current SL experience, and in fact may be hobbled by the need to make it available on the small screens of smartphones?

[Note that Ebbe, nor any of the other SL mouthpieces, have indicated that SL V2 would be made available without charge.]

I cannot say that it will definitely be as bad as you seem to think, I would like to look at it in a more positive way.

I will pay, if it is good for me - but I will have a look first (as I did with SL) and then decide. It's impossible, for me, to at this moment come up with an amount I would be willing to pay :).

LlazarusLlong wrote:

[Note that neither Ebbe, nor any of the other SL mouthpieces, has indicated that SL V2 would be made available without charge.]

I would pay exactly the same amount as I would pay to purchase the Left shoe right after returning home with a new box of shoes then discovering the box contained one Right shoe .. and a coupon to purchase the Left one that was guaranteed to be the same size, shape, color and could fit the Right foot in an emergency.

I'll continue to pay as much as I pay now, assuming I remain interested and the product doesn't get any worse (can it?). I wouldn't double up by subscribing to both simultaneously for any length of time. If enough of my friends were ready to try it, I'd drop $9.95 for a single month if there was no other way to see it.

An interesting question. As a group (which you may define as you will) the budget (cost in fact) is 120 US per 4 weeks. The figure is approximate due to local exchange of course.

That is tied to the existing LL product.

That amount can be easily used elsewhere.

If the Lab are going to offer a product that interests us enough to spend the same - then that is the amount available.

The other factors in your list are minor for me. The group has other opinions.

That is the amount that, as a group, we have.

As a caveat we as a group of makers have been cross platform creating for some time.

Imagine a little  Victory Garden with a 'HyyperGate' outside so we can huddle over tea.

Or not. Plans available for non US readers

Yes found a hums

i see alot of mixed emotions on this post, but bottom line is, Linden Labs has failed....they have failed in the current world as problems just keep repeating themselves over and over as they lack the knowledge and know how to fix the issues or more likely they just don't care enough as long as their private sims are working fine.  If they would trace the problems and fix the issues instead of using 10 year old laughable methods on a cutting edge game, we might be ahead of the curve instead of sitting in the middle of the curve....The fact they are making another world, tells me they have no intention on repairing nor even attempting to fix a failing world.  They care more about money, evident by the astronomical sim pricing, note LL, it's better to sell 1000 of something at 10 dollars than only 10 at 100 dollars...that's just simple math...point being, if you really gave a **bleep** about the world that your resident created, you would give those that desire to be in the world a broader opputunity in making the world a better place.  Instead you charge 300 for a sim, which let's face it, performs subpar at best, even when only half full and regardless of script time.  You are simply robbing peter to pay paul right now and that my ignorant Linden friends is going to cost you dearly.  The fact you state that you will keep both worlds up and running is extremely laughable as you can't even keep one running smmoothly....My advice to you is very simple, fix what is already in place by any mean necessary, replace servers, downtime is fine if we know things are being repaired and righted....If you fail to allow the resident to transfer at least their newer items to the "new world" you will lose more residents than you will gain simply by bad mouthing your horrid business senses.  Designers, clubs as well as educational institutions have pulled out of second life because of this talk and the ones who make the world what it is are suffering because your heads are firmly up your incompetent ceos ass....good luck and I urge your choice to be in favor of the people instead of your pocket.

You are an idiot, picking a fight, here is something for you to think about....If it takes 2 to argue, it only takes one to stop it....I am old enough to know what Linden labs and you are doing wrong o'childish one.  Go take your vitamins and put on your superman cape, bed time is almost here.

Lustey wrote:

i see alot of mixed emotions on this post, but bottom line is, Linden Labs has failed....they have failed in the current world as problems just keep repeating themselves over and over as they lack the knowledge and know how to fix the issues or more likely they just don't care enough as long as their private sims are working fine.  If they would trace the problems and fix the issues instead of using 10 year old laughable methods on a cutting edge game, we might be ahead of the curve instead of sitting in the middle of the curve....The fact they are making another world, tells me they have no intention on repairing nor even attempting to fix a failing world.  They care more about money, evident by the astronomical sim pricing, note LL, it's better to sell 1000 of something at 10 dollars than only 10 at 100 dollars...that's just simple math...point being, if you really gave a **bleep** about the world that your resident created, you would give those that desire to be in the world a broader opputunity in making the world a better place.  Instead you charge 300 for a sim, which let's face it, performs subpar at best, even when only half full and regardless of script time.  You are simply robbing peter to pay paul right now and that my ignorant Linden friends is going to cost you dearly.  The fact you state that you will keep both worlds up and running is extremely laughable as you can't even keep one running smmoothly....My advice to you is very simple, fix what is already in place by any mean necessary, replace servers, downtime is fine if we know things are being repaired and righted....If you fail to allow the resident to transfer at least their newer items to the "new world" you will lose more residents than you will gain simply by bad mouthing your horrid business senses.  Designers, clubs as well as educational institutions have pulled out of second life because of this talk and the ones who make the world what it is are suffering because your heads are firmly up your incompetent ceos ass....good luck and I urge your choice to be in favor of the people instead of your pocket.

Gah!  Paragraph breaks!  Learn them.  

For you  ---->  Open Sim.   Go!   

(See?  I'm here to help  ; )

Also, why do so many people fail to understand that a business, exists....to make money?!   

Im not sure.  I will of course check it out and as someone said, if my friends go over then I might be persuaded to too.

When I started sl I spent very little, now I buy something every week....its additive and I tell myself its so little really compared to what some people spend rl on sports and hobbies, drinks and eating out. 

CheriColette wrote:

Im not sure.  I will of course check it out and as someone said, if my friends go over then I might be persuaded to too.

When I started sl I spent very little, now I buy something every week....its additive and I tell myself its so little really compared to what some people spend rl on sports and hobbies, drinks and eating out. 

Hi Cheri!  If you're referring to Open Sim, then yes, you should check it out.  : )

Beethros Karas wrote:.....

"there is NOT an SL V2..."

Linden Lab themselves have said they're embarking on the development of a new virtual world, or SL V2 if you like.

"There is a new project called 
 and has NOTHING to do with SL or a SL 2 or a whatever people want to present as a substitute of our beautifull world."

Linden Lab is one of the
named investors
in High Fidelity, which is run by Philip Rosedale, the originator of SL.

I expect the revenue model of the new SL to be similar to the old SL where you can live for free but everything from goods, land and services will cost something. Merchants and land owners would still have to invest in their business.

I don't think the new SL will offer only small improvements or be hobbled by a need for mobile usage. But, if that is ever the case, I would think that the revenue model would still be the same and would not expect any kind of subscription or initial payment.

I honestly don't know why LL invested in High Fidelity. It seems like a dumb move for companies that are supposed to be competitors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.