Wave if you use viewer 2!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I use it from time to time and there are some things I like about it.  The sidebar and the way things like contacts, inventory, etc. are separated makes sense to me.  I think there is a lot of potential for making the viewer and web surfing more compatible as they are trying to do.  However, and I cannot state this enough - it is terrible for building. 

I know some of this may sound like a dog not being willing to learn new tricks, but it is inefficient for building, I think the menu text is too small (even on a 23 inch monitor), and I do not find the camera controls as easy to use.

I am not really sure what makes an executive think that a great idea for an existing product is to make its long time users have to relearn how to use it.  Unfortunately, that's what Viewer 2 does.  Things are so different that one can even spend a ridiculous amount of time learning just where the "you know what" you have to go to grant edit rights.

When you are trying to build and service customers and have to jump through hoops after four years to accomplish simple tasks, it leaves you frustrated.

I used it since its launch and I kept using it - together with other viewers. 

Note that "Viewer 2" may be too vague as a term, as the improvements from the 2.0 version have been huge. 

• Shared Media still has a lot of potential. I'm waiting for all viewers to support this feature - developers need this in order to have an audience big enough to create more advanced and modern tools.
  • Location Bar. It's just great.
  • Alpha layers, multi-attachments...I don't use them but they're known to be appreciated.
  • Auto-update. Handy, given SL viewers are frequently updated.
  • Code modularity/refactoring. Not something we users can directly experience, but makes developers' life easier. Yeah, I mean developers of third-party viewers. Read Nalates' blog if you're interested about this.
  • Sidebar. I never loved it but I thought it made sense from a User Interface Design point of view, as it aggregates stuff and attention. Recently, some third-party developers released viewers that are based on Viewer 2.x and IMHO improve the current Sidebar design (Kirstens, and notably Firestorm).

I have also used it since it was first released. It has had some buggy issues, and building with it needs to be reconsidered, but overall I have apppreciated it a lot, especially the features that have come out with 2.5.1. and in general it just feels more "modern' and contemporary then the old viewer ( duh?). I give it a thumbs up, and figure it well develope nicely in the future!

It was a little rough to move from the viewer I was used to for 6 years prior. but now I would never go back!

Been using it since day one semi-exclusively. Nearly exclusive use (I do experiment with TPV's on ocassion) since they fixed the showstopper group notice fiasco and, later, event search.

Took me a week or so to get used to using the sidebar. I admit to hating it at first. But then I realized something - it was hardly ever necessary to have it open! Its like a suitcase - take it out of the closet, pull out what you need, and put it back in the closet.

2.0 had too many headaches and at least one show-stopper for me to use it much. But it had enough goodies to pull me back from time to time. And the problems that existed for me with 2.0 didn't last long.

Web-based profiles are a mistake though, and I wish they would stop releasing features that didn't actually work (ie., favorites on login)

When I first tried 2.0 my response was YUCK!  Didn't like the interface, it acted realy glitchy, etc etc.

Recently I tried 2.5 and have been very impressed with the improvement.  Actually like the interface more then what I had with the older viewers.  I'm not on SL very often these days and when I do it's just to explore, so I haven't tried it for building or scripting or such.  And I very much appreciate the Auto Update feature, one of my noob tricks was mistaking "Show Updates" for that then spending the rest of my night trying to figuring out why all the avatars and lots of other things are giving off what looked like colored gas

[**bleep**! these smileys suck]

I have to retract my support for Viewer 2.  As I said previously I've had good experiences with 2.5.0, but last night was forced to upgrade to 2.5.1 (Manditory upgrade and 2.5.0 disabled).  Couldn't even explore using 2.5.1, movement was jerky and I crashed frequently.  Went back to Phoenix and everything was fine again except for the dated interface.  I'm discouraged that they turned out a promising viewer then turned around and broke it.  Seems I'm going to have to look to TPV for a RELIABLE, newer then 1.23 interface, viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.