Should'nt swimming be a default action?

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

bebejee wrote:

With so much water around why isnt it thrown in with avatar actions rather than having to buy a/o for it.  and shouldnt there be a siggestion and feedback forum too on here for such topics? Linden people might prefer browsing that over multiple forums.

Go into "fly" mode when in linden water...you do swim :) (unless the Ao you have on somehow overrides it) Swimming is a built in animation.

Some AO's that you buy for walking, sitting, flying etc. have a swimming animation that replaces your fly animation when your avatar is under linden water.  An AO only replaces the default LL animations. For other swimming animations, there is nothing to replace.

I bought 2 HUDs for swimming that also contains animations for all types of swimming strokes as well as treading water, floating in water on my back or front, plus the underwater swim.  They also contain assorted dives and can be used in prim water.  The reason I have two is the animations in one are better for a pool and the other when swimming in the ocean.

Tari Landar wrote:

Swimming is a built in animation.

Really? It's not on the list in the wiki and I've never seen it. I ask because I've always kinda agreed with the OP about this, that avatars by default should get good swimming animations and physics built-in and triggered automatically at llWater level (with the usual script overrides, naturally).

Good swimming HUDs aren't merely AOs that trigger at (prim or Linden) water level, but also apply physics effects (notably buoyancy) to "feel" a lot more like swimming than just overriding the flying animations.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

Swimming is a built in animation.

Really? It's not on
 and I've never seen it.

Me neither. I can see no default swimming animation at all. Putting fly mode on under Linden water is just that - flying under water. And if you are close to the water surface and going forward you will soon pop out from the water and will fly in the air.

There is no default swimming animation which would allow us to actually swim on the water surface. With default animations the only thing we can do in the water is to "fly dive" under the water. :smileysad: :smileyvery-happy:

Coby Foden wrote:

Me neither. I can see no default swimming animation at all. Putting fly mode on under Linden water is just that - flying under water. And if you are close to the water surface and going forward you will soon pop out from the water and will fly in the air.

There is no default swimming animation which would allow us to actually swim on the water surface. With default animations the only thing we can do in the water is to "fly dive" under the water. :smileysad: :smileyvery-happy:

I've never seen it on the list either, but I swam earlier this evening(ok, last night, it's like 7:30 am and I haven't been to bed) without even having an ao or swimming animation running or attached, after I decided to wander off a platform 4500m in the air, and landed in the water below. I also know, at least a few years ago, hubby and I swam on our sim, and neither one of us owned a swimming hud or animations in our AOs at the time.  

I'm not sure the depth of the water would matter(prob not), but I did land on a sim that was entirely underwater. I swam around for a good bit, then got bored and found some mountains to jump off instead. I was fake-base jumping hence why my AO wasn't attached.

Or maybe its just an oddity that occurs now and then, and shouldn't...kinda like every now and then the head up the ass thing still occurs..and yes, totally cracks me up too.

ETA: no it doesn't let you swim on the surface, it didn't occur to me that was what the OP meant, lol. I meant while underwater. I have used some swiming huds over the years and even some of them won't let you swim right on the surface either.

By default anytime you hit water you should float and trigger a swim animation. Most MMOs do this.

SL just treats it like air.

But you can add a trigger to run a chosen animation when you "fly" inside of water - which is not at all the same, as your motion still reacts as if in air.

When SL was in development, they had a lot more planned for water. There's a video out there with all sorts of ripple effects and water monsters (original SL had monsters you needed to defeat to get some resource to mod the land or something).

I have no idea if swimming was a part of all of that.

But it all got pulled early on - due to excessive resources. That said... having something as simple as how water works in an MMO where you can swim... would not be too much, and should be there.

As others have said the flying animation does not work for swimming, atleast not for me, I tried it at a few sims and there was no swimming animation moves in flying mode just flying in water and the avi eventually pops out and fly's in the air.

bebejee wrote:

As others have said the flying animation does not work for swimming, atleast not for me, I tried it at a few sims and there was no swimming animation moves in flying mode just flying in water and the avi eventually pops out and fly's in the air.

CheriColette wrote:

I was excited and went to water to try it.....

but didnt work.  I was in estate sim ocean  
:(

What do you mean by "but didn't work"? Flying underwater didn't work or the swimming didn't work?

Here is a short video of flying underwater. Works just like flying in the air.

Naturally there is no swimming animation because it is - flying.

bebejee wrote:

As others have said the flying animation does not work for swimming, atleast not for me, I tried it at a few sims and there was no swimming animation moves in flying mode
just flying in water and the avi eventually pops out and fly's in the air.

Get yourself a Superman/girl outfit and do it. You'll look perfect then. You don't see Superman or Supergirl doing swimming strokes underwater. They fly, just as they do in the air.

I was thinking about this a little and maybe it is done this way because it is more complicated than it appears and using AO's really is the better way to deal with it.

For instance, if you always started swimming the moment you got in the water, it could make wading in the water along the shore line problematic.

I don't know exactly what functions are used to detect the waters height (actually I belive it's the Ava's position) to make swimming AO's work, but when you walk your "Z" position is based on  the terrain. I'd guess things could be coded so when you hit water you started following its fixed height and began swimming.

As I see it, it is calculating the "Z" that is the problem.  While the surface of most water in SL is at 20m, not all water is 20m deep.  So there is a lot of 'maths' going on here.

eta:clarity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.