soo my game crashed ... why is it going to take me 6 days to log back in ?

Splatulated

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Either way, having a full tank is the same as carrying a small adult passenger around all the time. The further you go before filling up, the smaller the passenger gets, but it's still weighty, and driving it around costs money in petrol.

Yes, it costs something extra to carry some more weight. What I'm really interested to know is that is the saving significant amount of money or not.

Now we would need the MythBusters to make test drives to solve this mystery.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

For someone who just does in town driving, having a full tank is foolish.

The DOE estimates that every 100 pounds of additional carried weight decreases gas mileage by 1-2%. Each fill of my car is 10 gallons, or about 61 pounds. Three quarters of that is about 45 pounds. So, maybe I'm saving 0.5-1% by running on 1/4 tank or less. I can go 75 miles on a quarter tank (30mpg). One percent of that is three quarters of a mile. So, if I must go more than 3/8 of a mile out of my way to fill up, I'm losing ground.

The gas stations within that range of my daily errand routes have gas prices about a dime a gallon higher than my favorite, which is a couple miles away (i get near it once a week) and has a dog that loves tummy rubs. That dime is more than 2.5% savings, swamping any economic benefit of driving on empty. The tummy rubs are a bonus, as is the security of having a full tank.

And my time is worth something.

So, my scientific analysis says, "fill 'er up."

;-).

Sassy Romano wrote:

Madeline, I found the same information.

So my question to the "non fillers uppers":-

Do you also remove the spare wheel and not carry that around?  How often have you needed one? 

Big difference there. I live in a city. There are gas stations everywhere, all about the same price. If i get a flat I need that spare. If i run low on gas i get some. A spare is for emergencies. If you don't notice your gas gauge is low, that is on you.

I've been looking at new cars, just window shopping but quite a few are leaving out the spare now and just offering a can of stuff instead.  I've never had a flat tyre and with the roadside coverage, do you *really* need that spare or is it just a warm fuzzy feeling?  (especially in a city then where recovery would be relatively simple).

I was too lazy to write this up earlier, but Maddy's covered almost everything I wanted to say. My contribution is this: Maddy's numbers are for the top 1/4 of her tank of gas. Once she's used 1/4 of a tank, the weight penalty is down to about 31 pounds, When the tank is half full, the weight penalty has dropped to 15 pounds, and there's no penalty for the final quarter.

Your mileage is affected more by the way you drive than by the amount of gas/petrol in the tank.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

For someone who just does in town driving, having a full tank is foolish.

The DOE estimates that every
. Each fill of my car is 10 gallons, or about 61 pounds. Three quarters of that is about 45 pounds. So, maybe I'm saving 0.5-1% by running on 1/4 tank or less. I can go 75 miles on a quarter tank (30mpg). One percent of that is three quarters of a mile. So, if I must go more than 3/8 of a mile out of my way to fill up, I'm losing ground.

The gas stations within that range of my daily errand routes have gas prices about a dime a gallon higher than my favorite, which is a couple miles away (i get near it once a week) and has a dog that loves tummy rubs. That dime is more than 2.5% savings, swamping any economic benefit of driving on empty. The tummy rubs are a bonus, as is the security of having a full tank.

And my time is worth something.

So, my scientific analysis says, "fill 'er up."

;-).

Sassy Romano wrote:

I've been looking at new cars, just window shopping but quite a few are leaving out the spare now and just offering a can of stuff instead.  I've never had a flat tyre and with the roadside coverage, do you *really* need that spare or is it just a warm fuzzy feeling?  (especially in a city then where recovery would be relatively simple).

Spares were a necessity when tire (where'd you learn to spell, Sassy?) reliability was low, roads were rough, and help was potentially far away. I haven't had a flat since... (thinks a minute)... 199... (thinks some more) 1 or so, when my ex-hubby ran over a curb while feeling up my knee.

I'd be thrilled to have the trunk space the spare tire takes in my Miata. I can't close the lid on a tank of propane.

Sassy Romano wrote:

I've never used it but I know people who have. I live in a place where tyre is spelt tire, but I've been told by someone who did squirt a flat full of goo that when he went to his shop to get the flat fixed he was advised to tip the guy who had to do the actual repair (that's not the kind of thing that normally results in a tip). Apparently that stuff makes an absolute mess inside the tire, all of which has to be cleaned out before the tire can be patched.

As for the rest, I'd want a spare. Never know how long the roadside assistance will take in the places I drive. On my summer trips there might as well not BE roadside assistance since a lot of the time I'm in places with no cell phone coverage. My gas purchases are usually determined by how much money I have at the moment (except, once again, when I'm on a trip: then I fill up everytime and use plastic. I can weep later.).

eta Jinx ;-)

tire (where'd you learn to spell, Sassy?) 

Oh I spell tire just fine, usually when i'm describing my state just before going to sleep :matte-motes-asleep:

But because etymology interests me... from good old (well young really!) Wikipedia:-

Historically, the spelling was "tire" and is of French origin, which comes from the word tirer, to pull. The reason for this naming is that originally "tire" referred to iron hoops or thick wires bound to carriage wheels. In French blacksmithing the word for a drawn iron rod is a tirer, or pull. The same word was often used for any metal drawing or rolling process. In an article in the London Magazine/Intelligencer of 1853 "The Utility of Broad Wheels," it explains that the common practice was to bend two rods, called "tires," into hoops and bind them to the wheel, but it is preferable to use an iron band, called a "broad wheel" rather than the rods, because as the rods wear they bite into the wheel. Another early mention of a tire in English is in The Scots Magazine, Volume 15 By James Boswell (1753).

Another origin of "tire" is provided by Online Etymology Dictionary,[2] essentially that the word is a short form of "attire," and that a wheel with a tire is a dressed wheel. Some other etymologists may share this view.

The spelling tyre does not appear until the 1840s when the English began shrink fitting railway car wheels with malleable iron. Nevertheless, traditional publishers continued using tire. The Times newspaper in Britain was still using tire as late as 1905.[3] The spelling tyre, however, began to be commonly used in the 19th century for pneumatic tires in the UK. The 1911 edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica states that "[t]he spelling 'tyre' is not now accepted by the best English authorities, and is unrecognized in the US",[4] while Fowler's Modern English Usage of 1926 says that "there is nothing to be said for 'tyre', which is etymologically wrong, as well as needlessly divergent from our own [sc. British] older & the present American usage".[5] However, over the course of the 20th century tyre became established as the standard British spelling.

When I bought my lovely little diesel ute 2nd hand, the guy kept the tank full and only ever drove it around the local town. Over some years, the tank grew algae in there. o.0 So when I got it and started driving from town to town all the time, 1600km round trips, it kept starving for fuel and conking out. So the tank had to be removed, chemically cleaned, then have regular filter changes for quite some time after that. I do fill the tank up but only if I am going to be doing "out of town" amounts of miles. They said lucky it had good fuel filters or the algae stuff would have wrecked everything and it would have cost thousands & thousands to fix it all up.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Spares were a necessity when tire
(where'd you learn to spell, Sassy?) 
reliability was low, roads were rough, and help was potentially far away. I haven't had a flat since... (thinks a minute)... 199... (thinks some more) 1 or so, when my ex-hubby ran over a curb while feeling up my knee.

I'd be thrilled to have the trunk space the spare tire takes in my Miata. I can't close the lid on a tank of propane.

Where people spell correctly. The word is 'tyre' - with a 'y' ;)

What's the name of the language again? :)

A reason why it is good to keep the tank full: :matte-motes-big-grin:

http://drivelinemoto.com/why-you-should-keep-the-gas-tank-full/

An almost empty tank can be a problem in locations where the temperature goes up and down and where the air humidity is often very high. Water condensation in fuel system surely is not a good thing.

About this "algae" found in your tank; it appears that it actually is not algae at all.

http://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/111973/Label-Says-Fights-algae-But-Do-You-Need-a-Diesel-Fuel-Algaecide

Algae growth in fuel is a misnomer for the problem.  What looks like algae might not be algae at all, but could be a different kind of microbe altogether (bacteria or fungi). Or it may in fact not even be microbe-related – it could be asphaltene accumulation, better known as diesel sludge.

On the other hand, if water enters your fuel storage or distribution system, either through condensation or venting, there’s an excellent probability that it will cause bacteria or fungal growth. That’s different from algae.  Many species of bacteria, mold and fungus can grow in diesel fuel, but algae cannot because algae are plant-based organisms that need light to survive (which they won’t get in virtually any fuel systems). The scientific names for the most common types of organisms that live in petroleum products are Cladosporium resinae and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.  Neither of these are good news for the fuel users lucky enough to find them.

[unquote]

Phil Deakins wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Spares were a necessity when tire
(where'd you learn to spell, Sassy?) 
reliability was low, roads were rough, and help was potentially far away. I haven't had a flat since... (thinks a minute)... 199... (thinks some more) 1 or so, when my ex-hubby ran over a curb while feeling up my knee.

Where people spell correctly. The word is 'tyre' - with a 'y'
;)

What's the name of the language again?
:)

Tire vs tyre.jpg

Phil Deakins wrote:

;)

Unfortunately Phil, while I know that was a tongue in cheek comment, it is often said that American spelling and pronunciation is more accurate to older English. 

Also, remember that after 1066, Latin was the language used for most official documents, or French, French was the most commonly spoken language amongst the upper class and along with other Germanic influences, English has stolen many words and phrases and continues to evolve.. 

What I don't understand though is that a simple word like "Centre" which would have crossed the Atlantic a couple of hundred years ago, with origins in Greek and then Latin,  maintains "Central" but gets totally broken and turned into "Center" when it's CLEARLY Centre!  How did that suddenly become forgotten as to the correct spelling? :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

;)

Unfortunately Phil, while I know that was a tongue in cheek comment, it is often said that American spelling and pronunciation is more accurate to older English. 

Also, remember that after 1066, Latin was the language used for most official documents, or French, French was the most commonly spoken language amongst the upper class and along with other Germanic influences, English has stolen many words and phrases and continues to evolve.. 

What I don't understand though is that a simple word like "Centre" which would have crossed the Atlantic a couple of hundred years ago, with origins in Greek and then Latin,  maintains "Central" but gets totally broken and turned into "Center" when it's CLEARLY Centre!  How did that suddenly become forgotten as to the correct spelling? :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Oddly enough, I prefer the american spelling of 'centre', and I agree that some of their misspellings are better than the correct spellings. Jewelry, for instance. But that's still not an excuse for a whole nation getting so many words wrong. I suppose the people who went over initially weren't the educated ones lol.

Even the occasional expression is better than ours, imo. The american 'in back of' makes sense because of the global 'in front of', but it's an expression that we never use although we always say 'in front of'. So they didn't get everything totally wrong - just some things :)

Parhelion Palou wrote:

If you get a flat that's a simple puncture in the tread, the can of goo should work. If anything else happens to the tyre (such as a cut or damage to the sidewall), you'll be stuck. IMO, leaving out the spare is a terrible idea.

The only time I've had a flat I was glad to have a spare. A whole wheel fell from under a pick-up in front of me at highway speed. I tried to steer round it, but hit it with my front right. The car felt like it bounced a couple feet in the air and by the time it came down, the tyre was totally flat.

When I pulled over, it looked like the impact had pinched the sidewall flat to the rim. There was a gash about eight inches long. All the tyre goo in the world wouldn't have held it together. Frankly, I was amazed the wheel was still intact.

Now as this thread has transformed into a language thread I have a question to ask. :matte-motes-big-grin:

What are these things, in the pictures below, most commonly called in USA and UK?

Picture 1
Is this: Perambulator, Pram, Stroller, Baby Buggy or Baby Carriage?

Pram-1.jpg

Picture 2
And what is this? Does it have different word from the above?

Pram-2.jpg

Coby Foden wrote:

Now as this thread has transformed into a language thread I have a question to ask. :matte-motes-big-grin:

What are these things, in the pictures below, most commonly called in USA and UK?

Picture 1

Is this: Perambulator, Pram, Stroller, Baby Buggy or Baby Carriage?

Pram-1.jpg

Picture 2

And what is this? Does it have different word from the above?

Pram-2.jpg

Those are both Strollers.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Those are both Strollers.

That's strange. So if people are talking about strollers they have no idea what kind of stroller it is, until it is further defined (like "I mean a stroller where the baby lies down" and "I mean a stroller where the baby sits"). Here where I live we have different word for each.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.