soo my game crashed ... why is it going to take me 6 days to log back in ?

Splatulated

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Splatulated wrote:

Learn how to read ISO format dates. :matte-motes-nerdy: :matte-motes-big-grin: :smileywink:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html

http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/iso8601.htm

ISO 8601 describes an internationally accepted way to represent dates and times using numbers.

When dates are represented with numbers they can be interpreted in different ways. For example, 01/05/12 could mean January 5, 2012, or May 1, 2012. On an individual level this uncertainty can be very frustrating, in a business context it can be very expensive. Organizing meetings and deliveries, writing contracts and buying airplane tickets can be very difficult when the date is unclear.

ISO 8601 tackles this uncertainty by setting out an internationally agreed way to represent dates:

YYYY-MM-DD (that is: Year-Month-Day)

For example, September 27, 2012 is represented as 2012-09-27.

[unquote]

Christhiana wrote:

It says 9-3-2014, which is today...

Oh no. Where I live (Europe) it definitely says 03.09.2014  = 3rd September 2014

However in America it indeed does say 9-3-2014 or 9/3/2014 or 09/03/2014 which amazingly means September 3, 2014.

Wow, same date as in Europe, Americans just love to put it in a strange illogical order. :smileysurprised: :smileyvery-happy:

Logical orders for dates are: Day-Month-Year and Year-Month-Day

Very illogical order (the American way) is: Month-Day-Year

Therefore to avoid confusion what a date means, ISO needed to step in and make ISO date format as: YYYY-MM-DD

:smileywink:

I'm from the Netherlands so I use the same format as you. And I do agree the american format is really annoying sometimes :D I can't think of any sane reason to mix up the order like that. But if he would have read it in the wrong format, the date would be the 9th of march this year so still not 6 days in the future... Ow...it's really too late at night for this :D

Coby Foden wrote:

09/03/2014 which amazingly means September 3, 2014.

Those are in the same order. I have always wondered: In Europe would you say 3rd of Sept., 2014? 

(BTW I think everyone has given up on Americans adopting metric measurement. That was just not going to happen,. ) 

Coby Foden wrote:

Christhiana wrote:

Oh no. Where I live (Europe) it definitely says 03.09.2014  = 3rd September 2014

However in America it indeed does say 9-3-2014 or 9/3/2014 or 09/03/2014 which amazingly means September 3, 2014.

Wow, same date as in Europe, Americans just love to put it in a strange illogical order. :smileysurprised: :smileyvery-happy:

Logical orders for dates are:
Day-Month-Year
and
Year-Month-Day

Therefore to avoid confusion what a date means, ISO needed to step in and make ISO date format as: YYYY-MM-DD

Coby, we couldn't change now even if we wanted to. None of us would be able to remember our birthdate on short notice. Dropping off a prescription request or visiting the doctor; that's the first question they ask.

"Date of birth?"

" 6-12...no. Wait. 19...no wait. "Um, June..."

"NEXT PLEASE!".

It'd be a disaster. Epic.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Christhiana wrote:

Day-Month-Year
and
Year-Month-Day

Coby, we couldn't change now even if we wanted to. None of us would be able to remember our birthdate on short notice. Dropping off a prescription request or visiting the doctor; that's the first question they ask.

"Date of birth?"

"NEXT PLEASE!".

You think that would be a disaster?  Imagine trying to picture Metric measurements while driving, when the only mental frame of reference you've got is Imperial... it would not be pretty.

...Dres

Pamela Galli wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Those are in the same order. I have always wondered: In Europe would you say 3rd of Sept., 2014? 

(BTW I think everyone has given up on Americans adopting metric measurement. That was just not going to happen,. ) 

I think it was them damned Colonial Traitors who did it.  They wrote, "In Congress, July 4, 1776...."

As far as the metric system, it's ok for scientific stuff, but for everyday things, a pinch of this and a dash of that does perfectly fine.  ;)

Pamela Galli wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

09/03/2014 in Europe will mean 9th March 2014, not September 3, 2014 as in America.

Therefore the ISO system was made for dates YYYY-MM-DD. That's the preferred method in international written communications to avoid confusion.

Yes, we do say: "3rd of September 2014" and also just "3rd September 2014".

I once heard an American saying "Imperial measurements are good. They have short one syllable names like inch, foot and mile. Easy to pronounce without much effort. Whereas the metric system has those difficult long names like millimeter, centimeter, meter, kilometer."

Well, that person failed to see the advantages of the very easy decimal system what the metric system uses. :smileywink:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Christhiana wrote:

Day-Month-Year
and
Year-Month-Day

"Date of birth?"

"NEXT PLEASE!".

You think that would be a disaster?  Imagine trying to picture Metric measurements while driving, when the only mental frame of reference you've got is Imperial... it would not be pretty.

...Dres

I was reading recently they are having a problem in the military now because the recruits never wore analog watches.  So the old tried and true spatial references are no longer effective.

When they tell a recruit the enemy is at 12 O'Clock High or 3 O'Clock Low it isn't computing in their brains fast enough.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Christhiana wrote:

Day-Month-Year
and
Year-Month-Day

"Date of birth?"

"NEXT PLEASE!".

...Dres

I was reading recently they are having a problem in the military now because the recruits never wore analog watches.  So the old tried and true spatial references are no longer effective.

When they tell a recruit the enemy is at 12 O'Clock High or 3 O'Clock Low it isn't computing in their brains fast enough.

Disastrous, indeed.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Imagine trying to picture Metric measurements while driving, when the only mental frame of reference you've got is Imperial... it would not be pretty.

...Dres

I wonder how the designers used to the imperial measuments manage to build in SL accurately? They have no mental immediate grasp how big a meter is. They have to constantly convert between meters and imperial units.

Well, I have read that some designers rely on a very inaccurate GAH (General Avatar Heights) method in sizing their stuff.

The GAH method includes and relies on eyeballing things "Hm.. let's see, that looks about the right size".

No wonder that the scaling of things in SL is so haphazard.  :smileyfrustrated: :smileyvery-happy:

Coby Foden wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Imagine trying to picture Metric measurements while driving, when the only mental frame of reference you've got is Imperial... it would not be pretty.

...Dres

I wonder how the designers used to the imperial measuments manage to build in SL accurately? They have no mental immediate grasp how big a meter is. They have to constantly convert between meters and imperial units.

Well, I have read that some designers rely on a very inaccurate
GAH
(
G
eneral
A
vatar
H
eights) method in sizing their stuff.

The GAH method includes and relies on eyeballing things "Hm.. let's see, that looks about the right size".

No wonder that the scaling of things in SL is so haphazard.  :smileyfrustrated: :smileyvery-happy:

That reminds me of a time I was in Court.

When asked how he arrived at his conclusion the Witness stated he had SWAGed it.

The attorney with a raised eyebrow asked, "SWAGed?"

The witness replied, "Scientific Wild Arsed Guess."

It took a minute for the Judge to restore order to the Court.

Coby Foden wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

Well, I have read that some designers rely on a very inaccurate
GAH
(
G
eneral
A
vatar
H
eights) method in sizing their stuff.

The UK has notionally used metric measurements for almost as long as I've been alive. I was only ever taught metric in school, and the pound was decimalised shortly after I was born. That's over forty years ago.

Ask almost any Brit how tall they are, and you'll get an answer in feet and inches. Most will know their weight in stones (a unit of 14 pounds) and pounds. Food is sold in kilos, drink in litres and most linear measurements are in metric. However, speed limits are in mph, road signs give distances in miles, petrol (gas) is sold in gallons* and beer is sold in pints. Just to be extra confusing to visiting USAnians, our pints and gallons are 25% larger than yours. We have different tons, too.

The mathematically inclined work it out in their heads. The practical ones know when to reach for a calculator. The rest muddle along and occasionally get ripped off. A yard is a bit smaller than a metre. Two pounds are just less than a kilo. Two pints are a bit *more* than a litre (OUR pints are!). We manage.

eta: As Phil pointed out, I was wrong and clinging to my old concept of petrol in gallons. To phrase it more accurately, "petrol is not sold in gallons".

Pamela Galli wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Just for completeness, as others have also answered your question. We say both 3rd of September and September 3rd here in the UK, and it's not easy to estimate which is used the most. Unlike the Dutch, we don't say, 3rd September - we keep the 'of', which is commonly shortened to o' as in 3rd o' September - like a common pub name here - The Ring O' Bells (ring of bells)

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Christhiana wrote:

Day-Month-Year
and
Year-Month-Day

"Date of birth?"

"NEXT PLEASE!".

...Dres

Not much of an issue really.  A yard and a metre are close enough to give you a decent frame of reference.  I'm sure that you can appreciate that a kilometre is 1000 of those and just over 60% of a mile.

millimetres to miles I grant you would be an odd thing to try and reference, or maybe chains or cubits but no, distance is plenty easy enough.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.