how do i play second life on my chromebook

ciara123able

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

24 answers to this question

It's not fast, and it completely eliminates the stellar battery life on most chromebooks, but I have done it.   

Download Crouton here:   https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton

Use it to install linux (I'm using kubuntu and it works great).   If you're worried about hard drive space, you can always install it to a USB drive -- that's what I did, and it is still capable of running SL.   Instructions on that here:  https://www.maketecheasier.com/map-crouton-installation-external-device-chromebook/

Anyway, once you get linux installed, you'll need to get 32-bit compatibility libraries.   There are lots of instructions on how to do that -- just do a web search.

Then, grab your viewer of choice (as long as it's available for linux), and you're good to go.

You'll need the lowest graphics settings, and don't expect it to be fast.   But it does work.

Hi Clara,

Rolig's right. Second Life requires a computer that meets these requirements...

https://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

There is a way around this that may work with your Chromebook. SLGo is a service of OnLive that runs the SL viewer on a remote computer in a closet somewhere in California. That computer then (hopefully) streams video to your Chromebook. You can find out more about it here...

http://slgo.onlive.com

The service costs US$9.95/month and there is a free seven day trial.

Good luck!

• Like 2

In RL I am a computer tech. It would be a task to setup my Chromebook for sl.  Listen Rolig she is correct.  Yes, there are workarounds because yes anything can be done but is it worth it NO.  You will put in hours and hours setting up a Chromebook and it will be a huge disappointment. You can honestly get a computer at an outlet for the price of a Chromebook that you can run SL on and be much happier.   If you ae extremely techie and want to try it and see for yourself the power to you but I think you will come to the same conclusion. 

1 hour ago, Drakeo said:

I hate ingnorace.

I hate condescension. And mister not-ignorant, your computer does have a spell checker, does it not? Now, mister genius-who-hates-ignorance, how about you explain everything you said like I'm five years-old. Good luck with that.

Confirmed. Firestorm viewer will run acceptably in the Linux Beta environment on a Chromebook. You just need to be sure to unpack the tarball in your home directory, not in the default Downloads directory (where it can't make symlinks) and install the linux chromium browser if you don't want the media plugin to crash.

It's running quite happily on my Lenovo C341 right now.

ello! ^_* im nyla and i just bought a new laptop and its a chrome OS and its not letting me download second life skype.... how would i download SL on my chrome OS? can anyone help me????

1 hour ago, Kiarra87 said:

Please stop giving people the wrong answer here. (5 times even...)

it's not a wrong answer, not even 5 times...

how does this sound?:

"However other posts say different , it is possible to run SL on a Chromebook, but only with a huge workaround, that's not suited for non techie computer users."

sounds nicer... and tells the same time, a Chromebook IS NOT able to run SL without serious workaround.

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 1

I hate ingnorace. Especially when I an informed. Or when people lack knowledge. Old thread.

Enable linux apps. Because you are running a debian linux.

Then make sure you graphics driver is propritary.

Oh it is why because the linux your running was. Bult for the hardware.

Download the Firestorm linux viewer. Or my LL secondlife linux viewer or Kokua linux viewer. Extract tar ball and click the executable file. Have fun

Linden Labs drop Linux support in the viewer. Took me over 2 years to fix Nats left overs. But very stable. Find it under my name in bitbucket

• Thanks 1

On 2018-01-28 at 11:52 AM, Rolig Loon said:

Nope, and not likely.  You need a real computer to handle the graphics and the memory needs of SL.  As time goes on, the demand keeps increasing, so Chromebook will never be adequate.

Please stop giving people the wrong answer here. (5 times even...)

It worked 2 years ago for people like Karl Brunswick on their chromebook, and it works now on linux on my Chromebook (c201). The process to get it to work isn't great for people who aren't comfortable with computers, and you prettymuch need to be plugged into the wall with your charger, but on very basic settings it DOES work on chromebooks. It's a lot easier to do with an x86 (intel) based processor because then you can even just install something like Mint or Ubuntu onto your chromebook instead of resorting to Crouton like you have to on an ARM processor, but if you want to run it, provided your chromebook isn't pretty aged, it will work. 

And yes, aside from having integrated graphics, most newer chromebooks exceed the minimum specs required for second life. 

Edit: As a side note, you MUST be running a version of linux on your cbook to get SL to run, unless you manage to somehow find a chromeOS client (which I'm a bit skeptical of considering the architecture and cbook security measures)

Edited by Kiarra87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.