Where are the best places to meet and greet black people?

Cameilla

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Cameilla wrote:

I mean, Real black Folks. I am not being racist so please relax. Just want to know some key words to type in or places that they chill at. I know that there are people that come here and they look black and are in fact a totally different race in RL. I can understand because most of the answers I get when I ask why choose a black avi is "Love the skin tone and look"

Here you go... http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Inworld-Employment/Looking-for-Black-Women-to-Work-at-Angel-Hearts-Gentlemen-s-Club/m-p/2195171

...Dres

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing you have to realize is it's second life, people can be whatever they want to be. The thing is sl is both a big and small place, there are lots of places to go but depending on your interests you will run into the same people. So with that being said, where do black people tend to congregate? Start there. There are plenty of hip hop clubs on the grid, once you find one that's lively talk to people and ask where they hang out.

Not a club person? For some reason there are a lot of black sororities and fraternities on sl, try looking at those.

Last but not least, try more urban clothing stores. The more popular ones are bound to have people in them.

The important thing here is to talk to people in world, when you find more friendly ones they'll point you in the right direction. Also join groups, they can get spammy at times, but you can meet people in chats.

I understand what you mean about real black folks, there are some people that use black avatars to play out fantasies and stereotypes. So, yeah....I get that part. The irony is I'm mixed in real life, have a mixed looking avatar, but my daughter is white!

Point is they're just pixels. I've been on sl for three years now and I started out just like you, "where are the black people?" You'll find them, they exist and there are lots! Just be patient and go to places you as a black person would go.

Lisette Seranno wrote:

One thing you have to realize is it's second life, people can be whatever they want to be. The thing is sl is both a big and small place, there are lots of places to go but depending on your interests you will run into the same people. So with that being said, where do black people tend to congregate? Start there. There are plenty of hip hop clubs on the grid, once you find one that's lively talk to people and ask where they hang out.

Not a club person? For some reason there are a lot of black sororities and fraternities on sl, try looking at those.

Last but not least, try more urban clothing stores. The more popular ones are bound to have people in them.

The important thing here is to talk to people in world, when you find more friendly ones they'll point you in the right direction. Also join groups, they can get spammy at times, but you can meet people in chats.

I understand what you mean about real black folks, there are some people that use black avatars to play out fantasies and stereotypes. So, yeah....I get that part. The irony is I'm mixed in real life, have a mixed looking avatar, but my daughter is white!

Point is they're just pixels. I've been on sl for three years now and I started out just like you, "where are the black people?" You'll find them, they exist and there are lots! Just be patient and go to places you as a black person would go.

Hip-hop clubs and urban clothing stores.... Yup, that would be playing out stereotypes..

Syo Emerald wrote:

Maybe I should join that group named "proud to be white".

i'm sure there is quite a few of them..just be careful of the racist ones..

see being proud of something like that isn't racist until you start acting like it's the only color that counts and all the other colors are below you....

then it becomes racist..

because it's a myth based on bullcrap..

now show me  where the OP showed any superiority for herself over them usng some mythical bullcrap that i'm not seeing in the title or the post..

when you can do that..then you'll have your racist you are looking for..in the mean time you're just making up your own version.. 

it's not about color.. it's about one race feeling superior over another because of racial differences and color can be one of those differences..

wanting to find a place where black people hang out..that is not the Op acting superior or prejudice or throwing around  that  black men have the biggest freenises because they are black..

Example..saying something like..i want to hang out with only black people because all white people are in the KKK..

that's racist.because it's  racial prejudice and based on myth..

hey know any places where black people hang out?

that's not racist because  it's not a myth or prejudging them on anything..black people do tend to hang out with each other at times..and sometimes they do it in...OMG...places.. o.O

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Shame on you.. It's ok though.. Hugs?

lol ya i should have known better than to jump in here  anyways..hehehehe

some threads it's like.ok i'm just gonna have a little peeky peek just to see what's goin on in there..

then it's like omg why did i do that!! hehehe

the vortex got me..hehehe

anyways..

Hugs! \o/

hehehe

I should take a page out of Ceka's book and not even respond, lol but I have to laugh; did y'all really not know what the OP meant?  I am black in RL (no I don't intend to Skype to prove it, if you don't believe it, *shrug*)  and I think, and am pretty sure, that OP just wanted to get with some people in his/her comfort zone.   It's hard to explain if you don't share having a group that you are more comfortable with, than with others.  It could be racial or ethnic or something else.  Maybe musicians or artists.   I hang out with other deaf people, in RL and SL  for the same reason, it's a comfort zone. 

Treasure Ballinger wrote:

I should take a page out of Ceka's book and not even respond, lol but I have to laugh; did y'all really not know what the OP meant?  I am black in RL (no I don't intend to Skype to prove it, if you don't believe it, *shrug*)  and I think, and am pretty sure, that OP just wanted to get with some people in his/her comfort zone.   It's hard to explain if you don't share having a group that you are more comfortable with, than with others.  It could be racial or ethnic or something else.  Maybe musicians or artists.   I hang out with other deaf people, in RL and SL  for the same reason, it's a comfort zone. 

Skin color is not a comfort zone.

What would a 4th year African American law student at Harvard and a Detroit inner city gang banger have in common besides skin color?

Perhaps if they had stated some of their interests it would have been a reasonable request. Such as: Are there any jazz clubs that black people hang out at?  Asking where "real black people" hang out at in SL is a trolling question. She didn't want an answer, she was just looking to start a war. And anyone that only wants to associate with a specific race is a bigot.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

What would a 4th year African American law student at Harvard and a Detroit inner city gang banger have in common besides skin color?

Perhaps if they had stated some of their interests it would have been a reasonable request. Such as: Are there any jazz clubs that black people hang out at?  Asking where "real black people" hang out at in SL is a trolling question. She didn't want an answer, she was just looking to start a war. And anyone that only wants to associate with a specific race is a

seriously?

if they would have said jazz club rather than places then everything would have been fine?

that sounds like that is being very technical..

a request asking where they hang out is not  falling under your definition of a bigot either..

look at the key elements it takes to be a bigot..

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

that is when one leads there life with these elements..it's not when they are looking for places where certain groups of people hang out..

heck you even told someone they were being stereotypical when they mentioned specific places hehehe

the OP didn't leave enough information to determain one way or the other to come to any conclusion of them being a bigot  or a racist..

the reason i felt they were trolling is because they just didn't respond when they came back..and pretty much anytime someone say's  black people..

these forums light up..

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perhaps if they had stated some of their interests it would have been a reasonable request. Such as: Are there any jazz clubs that black people hang out at?  Asking where "real black people" hang out at in SL is a trolling question. She didn't want an answer, she was just looking to start a war. And anyone that only wants to associate with a specific race is a

Ah, still forcing your liberal opinions down people throats?  You never give up.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

We don't know if they are intolerant or not, they havent replied...

at least a jazz club would give some clue as to an interest...

so if we don't know if they are intolerant or not..then how can it be said that they are?

in other words..they haven't been a bigot or a racist..because so far they lack the key elements to be those things..

all they really have done is left a lot of room to assume..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

so if we don't know if they are intolerant or not..then how can it be said that they are?

in other words..they haven't been a bigot or a racist..because so far they lack the key elements to be those things..

I don't know.. personally i think the words "Real Black Folks" is kinda intolerant. That's like saying "Real Women" not men who became women, or women in mens bodies, or men who wish they were women. People would be up in arms if they had said real women instead.

Where are the best places to meet and greet women?

"I mean, Real women. I am not being sexist so please relax. Just want to know some key words to type in or places that they chill at. I know that there are people that come here and they look female and are in fact a totally different sex in RL. I can understand because most of the answers I get when I ask why choose a female avi is "Love the look"

So you would feel uncomfortable in a group of people who have a different skin colour?

What makes it more comfortable to hang out with people who have the same degress of pigments in their skin?

Does the same apply to haircolour and eyecolour? Do you share any deep and special connection to people with the same haircolour?

Wouldn't it sound strange, if some asked where to meet real blond people, preferable with bright eyes too, because blond hair and blue eyes are his comfortzone and he is tired of meeting people in SL who aren't blond and bright eyed in real life and just chose the look because they like it?

I don't think anyone has said, including the OP that they were UNcomfortable in any group.  That was your word.  What *I* said was, that I understand a comfort zone.  (I am personally uncomfortable in the SL forums, where people twist, sometimes slightly, sometimes a lot, to change the meaning of what a person actually said).  But, that's a behavior, not a physical characteristic.  I really did know better than to post in this thread.  A moment I already regret.

When I am around other deaf, I can let my hair down.  I can heave a sigh of relief, and know that these people understand the journey I am on, because to some degree, they are on the same pathway.   That we've been through some of the same issues.  That we 'get' one another and we don't have to work hard to relate to one another.   There are ethnic 'comfort zones' in SL.  (RL too for that matter.)  Germans have places, Italians, Brazilians, most ethnic groups, where  they are more comfortable.  They speak the language, they understand and share the customs, they like the same food because it's from 'their place' their shared experience.   It doesn't mean one is intolerant, or hateful of other people.  It just means that there are some places, with their indigent populations, that one possibly feels more comfortable around, probably because of background and shared life experiences. 

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

I don't know.. personally i think the words "Real Black Folks" is kinda intolerant. That's like saying "Real Women" not men who became women, or women in mens bodies, or men who wish they were women. People would be up in arms if they had said real women instead.

Where are the best places to meet and greet women?

"I mean, Real women. I am not being sexist so please relax. Just want to know some key words to type in or places that they chill at. I know that there are people that come here and they look female and are in fact a totally different sex in RL. I can understand because most of the answers I get when I ask why choose a female avi is "Love the look"

no that is like saying someone that is real vs roleplaying  not someone that is real vs someone else that is real  that had a sex change..

come on now..play fair hehehe

identifying someone or races with a skin tone is not racist..because people do it everytime they say..Obama is the first what?

Black president..

knowing he is african american and what else? most will probably have to look that part up on the internet because it just didn't matter to them until asked..

it only becomes racist when someone say's it in a way that shows that skin color makes that race less than human  or weaker or deficiant to be as equal..

can we be intolerant  or racist of a virtual looks of avatars for roleplay?

saying real black folks while in a virtual world of  roleplaying ones kind of defines they were not talking about black people being the weaker ones..

if anything it was the virtual versions or the NOT real ones..being the weaker..if anyone was really ever being called weaker in the first place..

and since they are looking for them..can we assume they are hanging around many other types of people as well?

their meaning was just to seperate real people from virtual ones..as many do in many areas of this virtual world..because it is also a communication platform as well where first world communications happen in many ways..

we can keep digging and digging in this hole until we hit china..it doesn't mean we'll ever strike oil..

we've already shown there was no racism in the OP..that is what this whole thing was all about from page one..

now that that hole went dry..it's digging a new hole looking for the bigot oil and not getting any of that texas tea..

can we just stop digging and write it off as there may just not be anything here but dry holes??

i mean if we have to dig this hard to find something..chances are it's that there is a force present that is trying to reinvent the wheel.. 

when we start changing these definitions from the real thing and making them up as we go along to cover such a broader area..

it makes it almost impossible for the real problems to go away..because we keep getting reminded by the situations that are not situations..

and then it's all of a sudden everywhere..

racism and biggotry should be somethign that shocks you when you see it or hear it or feel it..

it shouldn't be something we have to dig and dig to prove..

if we do that to any one person here..then we will find a room full of them..

and they didn't even know it..

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Cameilla wrote:

Thank you very much. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Are you kiding me?!?!? All of the discussion and questions brought about by your vague OP and you jump in to say thank you?!?!?!

smh.. i'm out.

Drake, it's sad to see that you start accusing somebody based on your assumptions.   sad_face.jpg

What did OP actually ask?

This:

"Where are the best places to meet and greet black people? I mean, Real black Folks."

The OP added in their first post:

"I know that there are people that come here and they look black and are in fact a totally different race in RL."

I take that OP's sentence to mean that the OP just wanted to stress that they indeed are asking info of places where real RL blacks hang out in SL. What's wrong in that, eh? There can be multiple reasons why OP at this particular moment wants to meet them.

See, no mention at all that OP would like only real blacks and nobody else.

You assumed so and started accusations of racism and even bigotry.

Where is the racisms in OP's post? I can't see even a slightest hint of such thing.

I think in your view it might be also wrong to ask: "Where the real Italians use to hang out in SL?"

Would you jump in like: "Uhmm.. what! Don't you like other people? Why you favour Italians only?"

Can we ask where can we find red cars? Without accusations "Why do you hate cars of any other colour?".

Anyway, OP got their answer what they were looking for.

I think they were pleased for the piece of info what answered their question.

I think this is a case of:

bark-up-the-wrong-tree.jpg

Coby Foden wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Cameilla wrote:

Thank you very much. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Are you kiding me?!?!? All of the discussion and questions brought about by your vague OP and you jump in to say thank you?!?!?!

smh.. i'm out.

Drake, it's sad to see that you start accusing somebody based
on your assumptions
sad_face.jpg

What did OP actually ask?

This:

"
Where are the best places to meet and greet black people? I mean, Real black Folks.
"

The OP added in their first post:

"
I know that there are people that come here and they look black and are in fact a totally different race in RL.
"

I take that OP's sentence to mean that the OP just wanted to stress that they indeed are asking info of places where real RL blacks hang out in SL. What's wrong in that, eh? There can be multiple reasons why OP at this particular moment wants to meet them.

See, no mention at all that OP would like
only
real blacks and nobody else.

You assumed so and started accusations of racism and even bigotry.

Where is the racisms in OP's post? I can't see even a slightest hint of such thing.

I think in your view it might be also wrong to ask: "Where the real Italians use to hang out in SL?"

Would you jump in like: "
Uhmm.. what! Don't you like other people? Why you favour Italians only?
"

Can we ask where can we find red cars? Without accusations "
Why do you hate cars of any other colour?
".

Anyway, OP got their answer what they were looking for.

I think they were pleased for the piece of info what answered their question.

I think this is a case of:

bark-up-the-wrong-tree.jpg

She said .. point blank.. REAL BLACK FOLKS.. not people who look black but are a different race in RL. and yet she says in her profile "Keepin it SL! NO OTHER RL INFO PROVIDED!  Just have fun!" So i guess its ok for her to demand proof of RL skin color but she wont do the same. She has been in SL for almost 3 years. One would think she could find people to hang with.

Her very foirst post on the forums in three years is about finding black people to hang with.. and this doesn't strike you as a bit trollish?

I think you have a mistake in your examples. Yes, there are places for Germans, French and many other forgein people. BUT they have a thing that they actually have in common: Their language and to some its impossible to communicate properly outside of that group, because their English isn't developed enough or they feel ashamed of their accent and their mistakes. They seek others who can understand them, to get help or some social contact within SL.

I'm sure many of them would enjoy being around other nationalities as well, they don't want to seperate but have to under certain circumstances. Thats different from searching for "real black people". This wording includes that people who just have a black avatar are "fake" and something that is seeked here can't be archieved with them or anybody else. While a German who finds someone from the US who speaks German as good as someone from Germany to talk to.

As already pointed out, being black doesn't give someone that "click" of having something essential in common. It is highly possible both even don't understand each other. Pigments in the skin don't give naturally commons.

i'm just gonna jump out of this thread from here on out..because this has gotten to the point of being really ridiculous..

it becomes ridiculous when people want it so bad that they have to dig and dig to find it or to turn it into other things because the first pass didn't hit anything..

seriously..this kind of effort becomes insulting to those that feel the real elements every day..

it just shows us that people do not understand what it feels like or what it is..

it's never gonna start to go away unless it is really known for what it is and not what it is not..

so i'm out..because it's just gotten way too ridiculous..

everyone have a nice day.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i'm just gonna jump out of this thread from here on out..because this has gotten to the point of being really ridiculous..

Like you honestly didn't see that coming.

...Dres

you always know it's coming..it's just you never know when..

...Cek

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.