Happy 10th Birthday to SLers past and present

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Carole Franizzi wrote:

Actually, it turns out I said nothing of the sort. I did wonder. I'm not usually a name-caller. However, I was certainly very brash, but in the world of forums, brashness is not the worst you can expect. It looks like you've clocked up a good number of posts since then - almost 7,000 - congrats. That makes you waaaay more forum-savvy than me now. If our interaction was the worst you've had to put up with, then you've had a pretty good running (I've just had a PM from an old 'enemy' with a new name wishing me a lonely and painful death!), however, as I said before, if it upset you, then I apologise. You're free not to accept the apology however. At the end of the day, it's your choice. Keep well.

Thank you, that means a lot to me. I am sorry I let it bother me so but it did and your kind apology really does help a lot.

And the post count doesn't make me savvy at all, :P it just means I post a lot :D

wait, did i just say a lot a lot?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marigold Devin wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I'll have to look up Donny Osmond, but I have always liked lavenders and soft purples, my second fave is pink but that seems so cliche I don't admit to it much
:)

Donny Osmond currently presents The Pyramid Game, which seems very odd (but rather marvellous) to me. He's a grown up! And that seems very odd to me. I must go check see if he still likes purple... off to Wiki or somewhere.

The Pyramid Game is a thing?

Marigold Devin wrote:

While there seem to be phases that are common to all of us (obligatory box-on-head, being asked for da sex, falling in and out of love/friendships, getting griefed) every single person's version of what SL is would be very different. Just like if Picasso, Van Gogh and Monet all tried to paint the same thing, the finished pictures would look totally different.

The journo should just say Happy Birthday Second Life - (and many more?) :matte-motes-evil-invert::matte-motes-big-grin:

This ^ Totally. Absolutely.

No, I shan't hang around. It really would be arrogant of me to harp on and on and on and on... (well, you know how I am) about SL and how it should be if I'm no longer part of it. It'll have all moved on from a technical point of view (I hope...!) since I was last 'inside' and that would mean I'd be yammering on about stuff I have no knowledge about. 

The 10th birthday bash article I read just got me thinking about how I'd wandered off without saying goodbye. Made me feel uneasy, as I was and am genuinely fond of lots of people whose paths I crossed in here, and I just felt it would be nice to let people know that they are still in my thoughts, even with an impersonal, collective message.

I still remember my first posts in this forum. Actually they were my first posts in any forum ever. I was kinda shell-shocked, to be honest. Some of that stuff was really, really nasty. Then whatever-number of posts later, you can't even remember most of the clashes. Although in my case, that could be senile dementia setting in.

Glad we patched it up. 

And this is my first and only forums that I post to too (to too?! :matte-motes-agape::matte-motes-big-grin-wink: )

And Carole, you're right, such nasty stuff, really seriously nasty stuff, on the old forums. Even during this past year or so since you've been absent, the mods come in and remove it before it gets so bad. You got a private message from the alt of an 'enemy'?  Ohhh how jolly marvellous. You genuinely rattled someone's cage - silly bugg3rs!

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

That's it.

From what i read, of that thread, it looked to me like you were the one that cast the first stone. She wasn't replying to you. You called her out. And nowhere in that thread did she call anyone an idiot. It was 2 years ago... You really need to learn to let go. Move on, have some fun. Live and let live. Don't forget your towel. Keep calm and carry a sonic screwdriver.

Pick your catchphrase. 

Just have to say I loved your entire post, Deltango, and feel pretty much the same way, although I joined SL a year later in 2007.  I can especially relate to this paragraph:

I barely recognize SL now, with its j0nn23yyy7qwww Residents and poor fitting clothes. It takes me back to grade school rather than high school, with Teacher inspecting our desks for contraband lipsticks. I suppose SL will be renamed Kid-Grid soon. Perhaps this was always the limit of LL's ambition.

(You owe me a new monitor, btw. :) )

So many "oldbies" I miss - Trout Recreant's "S1ut Ratings," The "Undying Thread," and lots of other people that will likely pop into my mind as soon as I hit the enter key on this post.

Marigold Devin wrote:

We really were struggling to get used to the new forums software, and the addition of any new sub-forum seemed really daunting to a lot of us.

We've all got strengths and weaknesses. Let's shake hands and throw the bag of bowling balls away.

So true.  I was a regular on the old forums and a bunch of us were majorly ticked off, to say the least, when this new version, nicknamed the Blogorums, were introduced.  A large number of people from the old forums scattered to various third party forums.  I registered "over there" but decided to stick it out here.

As you said, not only the architecture of the forums took a bit of getting used to but, from my point of view, a ton of people began posting that I had never seen before.  Not that I know everyone but after years on the old forums, I had at least a passing knowledge of names, especially those who posted a lot.  I was scratching my head over, "Where did all these new posters come from and why didn't they post on the old forums."

My first several posts on these forums netted me the "left foot of fellowship."  I was even more confused by the perceived "Us" (posters on the new forums) and "Them" (posters from the old forums).

Finally, a regular poster on the old forums and dear friend, clued me in.  Apparently there was a forum connected to Xstreet or whatever name it went by prior to being purchased by SL.  That forum was closed probably around the same time as the old SL forums so people who used to post on the Xstreet forum came to the new one.

At any rate, I'm glad I stayed here.  In addition to some old names that I still recognized, I have met new people, some of whom I count as friends in world as well. :)

Carole Franizzi wrote:

No, I shan't hang around. It really would be arrogant of me to harp on and on and on and on... (well, you know how I am) about SL and how it should be if I'm no longer part of it. It'll have all moved on from a technical point of view (I hope...!) since I was last 'inside' and that would mean I'd be yammering on about stuff I have no knowledge about. 

There are quite a few of us who admit to spending more time on the forums than actually in world, and likely many more who don't admit it. *Grins*  You'd fit right in!!

As far as the technology...pfft.  I'd be happy to roll SL back to 2007.  I'd even take 2008. (And before the flame throwers chime in, I thought I was alone in that regard but I keep running into people from that era who also would like to "turn the clock back."  I even met someone earlier this year who had only been in SL for five months at the time and he worked in a small club where the owner & majority of patrons joined SL around 2006-2008.  Even HE said he is sad he never got to see *that* SL.)

Pull up a chair...sit a spell...stay a while. :)

Marigold Devin wrote:

And this is my first and only forums that I post to too (to too?! :matte-motes-agape::matte-motes-big-grin-wink: )

And Carole, you're right, such nasty stuff, really seriously nasty stuff, on the old forums. Even during this past year or so since you've been absent, the mods come in and remove it before it gets so bad. You got a private message from the alt of an 'enemy'?  Ohhh how jolly marvellous. You genuinely rattled someone's cage - silly bugg3rs!

I must be the only person who has been on forums since the mid-80's - back in the PC DOS days.  I began on RP forums linked to IRC then the Everquest forums when I began playing; over the years I have posted on forums about cat-owners sharing tips, forums dedicated to certain illnesses, etc., etc.

Come on - I know some of you MUD/MUSH/MOO afficionados are still out there. ;)

Carole Franizzi wrote:

Not sure about the wit and wisdom, little green one. How's life on Mars, Perrie? Nasa photographed something on Mars this week which some are saying is a lizard-like life form (others think it's just a funny shaped rock). It wasn't you, was it?

Peace to you too.

Right now there is a huge investigation on my planet trying to find who didn't use their pooper scooper.

I'm really glad I have a sound alibi.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Keep calm and carry a sonic screwdriver.

Screwdriver!!!! That made me think of the State's closing argument in the recent Jodi Arias trial (yes I'm talking about that...again) when the prosecutor, Juan Martinez, was using sarcasm to poke holes in Jodi's version of events.  Jodi was stopped by police for the license plate on her rented car being upside down.  Jodi stated on the witness stand that it must have happened when she stopped for a Strawberry Frappacino at a Starbuck's in Pasadena, CA and when returning to her car she noticed some skateboarders leaving that area and laughing.  (Of course the real story was that Jodi had taken great pains to "disguise" herself and the car and flipping the license plate over was part of that.)

There you are! I'm another who's wondered where you wandered off to.  I'm happy you're doing well, and thrilled to see your name pop up once again, with your smiling face glaring out of your badge at me :D

I was just a newbie and you helped make me feel welcome here, so, you'll always be remembered fondly by this forum lurker :matte-motes-little-laugh:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I'll have to look up Donny Osmond, but I have always liked lavenders and soft purples, my second fave is pink but that seems so cliche I don't admit to it much

Donny Osmond currently presents The Pyramid Game, which seems very odd (but rather marvellous) to me. He's a grown up! And that seems very odd to me. I must go check see if he still likes purple... off to Wiki or somewhere.

The Pyramid Game is a thing?

My brother in RL thinks it embarrasses me to tell people I used to have posters of Donnie Osmond on my bedroom wall ... 

...  but I guess I was a regular 8 year old, and its probably the equivalent of - (dare I say this?) - 8 year old girls who now have Justin Bieber on their walls.  (Currently - if I wasn't perceived to be too old to even have posters on my wall, I'd probably have Justin on my wall too, Justin Hawkins though, from The Darkness)

But dear Susan Boyle, a seemingly unlikely star, she probably had posters of Donny Osmond on her wall too, and here she is getting all her childhood dreams come true (I actually felt myself tear up by the time I got to the end of this video)

Pyramid game...

Carole Franizzi wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

While there seem to be phases that are common to all of us (obligatory box-on-head, being asked for da sex, falling in and out of love/friendships, getting griefed) every single person's version of what SL is would be very different. Just like if Picasso, Van Gogh and Monet all tried to paint the same thing, the finished pictures would look totally different.

The journo should just say Happy Birthday Second Life - (and many more?) :matte-motes-evil-invert::matte-motes-big-grin:

This ^ Totally. Absolutely.

The 10th birthday bash article I read just got me thinking about how I'd wandered off without saying goodbye. Made me feel uneasy, as I was and am genuinely fond of lots of people whose paths I crossed in here, and I just felt it would be nice to let people know that they are still in my thoughts, even with an impersonal, collective message.

Become a passive lurker like me then, and dip in and out just for the fun bits.

Oh, and the MASSSIVE (laggggy) party thats sure to be the SL10B celebrations - if there's cake, I'll be there. I heard there was server side baking going on currently, got to be to do with cake or cakes. :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Just have to say I loved your entire post, Deltango, and feel pretty much the same way, although I joined SL a year later in 2007.  I can especially relate to this paragraph:

I barely recognize SL now, with its j0nn23yyy7qwww Residents and poor fitting clothes
. It takes me back to grade school rather than high school, with Teacher inspecting our desks for contraband lipsticks. I suppose SL will be renamed Kid-Grid soon. Perhaps this was always the limit of LL's ambition.

(You owe me a new monitor, btw.
)

So many "oldbies" I miss - Trout Recreant's "S1ut Ratings," The "Undying Thread," and lots of other people that will likely pop into my mind as soon as I hit the enter key on this post.

Yep, bring back those halcyon days between Dec 2007 and May 2008 for me. Nothing ever was better than March 2008 for me, although it hasn't been totally downhill from there.

I miss a ton of people from the old forums, and each time another oldbie goes, the overall 'atmosphere' changes, but some of the 'newbies' - 16 for one - made their mark and became unforgettable forum folk too. So newbies became oldbies and some of them are also gone now :matte-motes-crying:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

I must be the only person who has been on forums since the mid-80's - back in the PC DOS days.  I began on RP forums linked to IRC then the Everquest forums when I began playing; over the years I have posted on forums about cat-owners sharing tips, forums dedicated to certain illnesses, etc., etc.

Come on - I know some of you MUD/MUSH/MOO afficionados are still out there.
;)

I think I started text chatting with my Dad in the early 80s, which was so very cool considering he was only 30 feet away. Then came dial-up BBS (the local computer club fellas helped me build a 300bps modem!), my college campus network, The Well and 15 minutes on Apple's eWorld. I got on the Internet in '93 via ISDN and honed my questionable argumentation skills on UseNet's science forums, IRC, Java chat rooms, Yahoo's finance boards, professional forums and finally here. I've neither gamed nor RP'ed, so MUD/MUSH/MOO escaped me and as a Mac user, DOS/Windows was reserved for my professional work.

It's hard to remember a time I wasn't staring at a glowy screen (first green, then amber, then white and now full color!) for at least an hour a day.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Come on - I know some of you MUD/MUSH/MOO afficionados are still out there.
;)

I think I started text chatting with my Dad in the early 80s, which was so very cool considering he was only 30 feet away. Then came dial-up BBS (the local computer club fellas helped me build a 300bps modem!), my college campus network, The Well and 15 minutes on Apple's eWorld. I got on the Internet in '93 via ISDN and honed my questionable argumentation skills on UseNet's science forums, IRC, Java chat rooms, Yahoo's finance boards, professional forums and finally here. I've neither gamed nor RP'ed, so MUD/MUSH/MOO escaped me and as a Mac user, DOS/Windows was reserved for my professional work.

It's hard to remember a time I wasn't staring at a glowy screen (first green, then amber, then white and now full color!) for at least an hour a day.

Ah-HA!  I knew there were others out there.  I spent a little time on a local BBS run by a friend of mine but after finding IRC I stayed with the occasional foray into AOL, Prodigy, and Yahoo chat rooms.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

That's it.

From what i read, of that thread, it looked to me like you were the one that cast the first stone. She wasn't replying to you. You called her out. And nowhere in that thread did she call anyone an idiot. It was 2 years ago... You really need to learn to let go. Move on, have some fun. Live and let live. Don't forget your towel. Keep calm and carry a sonic screwdriver.

Pick your catchphrase. 

Is this where I restrain myself from making fun of you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.