I've finally read the TOS fine print.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11.1 You may terminate your Accounts at any time.

You may terminate this Agreement by closing your Accounts at any time for any reason. In such event, Linden Lab shall have no further obligation or liability to you under this Agreement or otherwise, and you shall be entitled to no compensation or other payment, remedy, recourse or refund.

.....good grief!  This time they have gone to far!  Now I'm really mad!......when did they slip this little gem in there?

The nerve!!!

That has always been in the TOS. But it sounds more drastic than it is.  If you cancel your account, just be sure to sell any land you have and cash out your L's,  You can give away any transferable things you have in inventory or even sell them as long as they aren't full perm with a no sell license.

If you cancel it then come back you can reactivate it for a fee of $9.95US but there is no guarantee that any or all  your inventory will still be there  However, there really is no need to cancel an account anymore.  Just don't log in.  That way if you ever decide to come back your avatar and its L's and inventory are waiting for you.

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

You may terminate this Agreement by closing your Accounts at any time for any reason. In such event, Linden Lab shall have no further obligation or liability to you under this Agreement or otherwise, and you shall be entitled to no compensation or other payment, remedy, recourse or refund.

.....good grief!  This time they have gone to far!  Now I'm really mad!......when did they slip this little gem in there?

The nerve!!!

A.  This has been there since I signed up (2007).

B.  Apparently you have not read many contracts that you have signed and especially agreements on the Internet you have "accepted."  This is pretty standard legalese.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

The nerve!!!

B.  Apparently you have not read many contracts that you have signed and especially agreements on the Internet you have "accepted."  This is pretty standard legalese.

Ditto!

Perrie Juran wrote:

I never realised that I cannot get rid of an account anymore when there is not stated in the TOS that you have the right to cancel your account. Not all virtual worlds use this standard.

For example, once you take an account on Avination, you are not allowed to cancel it. Because, according to Avination: Actually deleting an account would destroy creator information on any items created and in world. For reasons of accountability, we can not do this.

Also, by the same token, we need to retain the email address, since it could turn out an item is stolen and we may have to provide the email to law enforcement to aid in investigating a complaint.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

The nerve!!!

Ditto!

To use a serious RL example, if you ever have surgery you will sign a release.  There are two things in that release.

1.  If your Insurance fails to pay YOU are still responsible for the bill.

2.  The Surgeon DOES NOT guarantee the outcome of the surgery.

For better or for worse, this is simply the way that it is. 

delete.jpg

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I never realized that I cannot get rid of an account anymore when there is not stated in the TOS that you have the right to cancel your account. Not all virtual worlds use this standard.

For example, once you take an account on Avination, you are not allowed to cancel it. Because, according to Avination:
Actually deleting an account would destroy creator information on any items created and in world. For reasons of accountability, we can not do this.

Also, by the same token, we need to retain the email address, since it could turn out an item is stolen and we may have to provide the email to law enforcement to aid in investigating a complaint.

There is a bit of 'mumbo jumbo' on the account deletion page.  Note the phrase on the bottom:

"If you still wish to cancel, and understand that Cancellation can be a complete and permanent loss of access to all aspects of Second Life associated with this account, please click the Cancel Account button below."   (my bolding)

Details, details, details. My understanding is that accounts actually are not "deleted" because of associated inventory.  When SL first started, deleting accounts was breaking things built with stuff from the deleted account.  So cancelled accounts exist in some kind of "limbo."  What you have done in actuality is cancelled access to that account.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

The nerve!!!

A.  Yes.  I know.

B.  Just a reminder for all those getting their panties in a twist over the TOS......there happens to be an exit strategy.  Go figure.

note to self:  ...add winky smiles at the end of sarcastic posts to avoid future confusion.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

note to self:  ...add winky smiles at the end of sarcastic posts to avoid future confusion.

Even that doesn't work all the time, but it can help.:smileywink:

Martians have a dificult time understanding when they are being teased.

Winking on Mars means someting very different than it does on Earth.  ;)  ;)  ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Martians have a dificult time understanding when they are being teased.

Winking on Mars means someting very different than it does on Earth. 
;)

;)

;)

re: being teased. If you recall the visit of Bugs Bunny, you can safely assume he was representative of Earthlings in general. If an Earthling is interacting with you, you are probably being teased.

I'll not inquire about the meaning of winks for fear of inspiring another attempt at the ESK.

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

The nerve!!!

about 10 years ago :)

when following the section 11.1 of the TOS..

always remember rule number 2  The Double Tap..

or in delete button  cases..The Double Click :matte-motes-nerdy:

there have been lots of cases of deleted residents getting that second wind.and coming back to life  :matte-motes-evil:

hehehehe

• 3 weeks later...

Ceka Cianci wrote:

when following the section 11.1 of the TOS..

always remember rule number 2  
The Double Tap..

or in delete button  cases..The Double Click :matte-motes-nerdy:

there have been lots of cases of deleted residents getting that second wind.and coming back to life 

:matte-motes-evil:

hehehehe

Double tap the heart or the head?

.....some of those somamabishes have more lives that a cat.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.