Do you think employees should give a disclosure with replying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have to admit when I do start a thread in the forums its sometimes is a moan or a dig or a complaint, but I have also given advice too in my threads , but sometimes what I tend to find if its a dig at SL or the 3th party viewers, I find some replies very suspiciously could be persons with a vested interest or employee my question is " should these person when reply disclose if they have a vested interest.

Certainly anyone that suggests the use of or promotes a product they make money off of should note that, however I don't think it is needed if they are responding to a dig you made about SL or a 3rd party viewer, especially when your comments are misinformed .  After all 3rd party viewers are not sold and no one is making money from them.  Developers do it voluntarily. 

No one on the forums has a vested interest in SL unless they are a Linden, which is obvious by their name. I doubt any one here is invested in SL either since LL is a PRIVATE company with no publicly traded stock. 

So my answer is no.  They may do so voluntarily though if it lends authority to their replies where facts are involved or they are correcting misinformation. 

Since I don't agree with you , you probably will accuse me of having some kind of interest, so I will categorically state I have no vested interest in any TPV or LL.

Well you answered the question yourself, you tone is in your statement " especially when your comments are misinformed"the question is simple"Do you think employees should give a disclosure with replying "and as for your other statement, I said Vested interested not invested two diff meanings , and as you don't agree with my question and have thought I will endeavour to accuse you of being some way having a vested interest tell me you are not interested in the debate but more of an aggressive reply. I let others judge you as to if you have any vested intestests

So, let's see, you moan and complain about something but if someone disagrees with you, you suspect the responder has a vested interest in whatever you were complaining about and should declare it rather than you thinking that maybe your opinion is not the be all and end all and people are entitled to voice differing opinions to yours. Have I got that right? You need a big dose of humility.

Should people finding fault with SL/LL/TPVs be required to disclose any affiliations they may have with competing interests?

So long as we are allowed to be anonymous here, I see no way to achieve what you are considering. Nor does my BS detector feel particularly deprived as a result.

greek Wingtips wrote:

Wikipedia not mine

"A key factor to consider with vested interest is the level/type of involvement the individual has with a particular attitude object"

Basically, you just said "A key factor to consider with cats is whether they are short-haired or long-haired." Doesn't define cats in the least. Here's the definition of "vested interest."

Vested Interest

n.
1. Law A right or title, as to present or future possession of an estate, that can be conveyed to another.
2. A fixed right granted to an employee under a pension plan.
3. A special interest in protecting or promoting that which is to one's own personal advantage.
4. vested interests Those groups that seek to maintain or control an existing system or activity from which they derive private benefit.

greek Wingtips wrote:

I have to admit when I do start a thread in the forums its sometimes is a moan or a dig or a complaint, but I have also given advice too in my threads , but sometimes what I tend to find if its a dig at SL or the 3th party viewers, I find some replies very suspiciously could be persons with a vested interest or employee my question is " should these person when reply disclose if they have a vested interest.

I don't think employees do reply, but some people do feel very loyal towards their favourite viewer, be in the SL official one, or a TPV, and are compelled to defend and deflect criticism if they disagree with it.  In much the same way that people in real life will stick up for criticism made against their home town, which, in turn, does not make them employees or relatives of those who run the Town Hall.

Dear Amethyst, you make rather sweeping statements to which I like you to set the record, you said "No one on the forums has a vested interest in SL unless they are a Linden" is this something you know as a fact or guessing,and please stand corrected I never suspected or said you have or had an vested interest you implied that what I think, big differenced

I agree with you, whole heartedly , if I read something nasty lets say about my football team that I follow and have a season ticket, I don't have to disagree with the writer but i could write a nasty reply or discrete the writer just because it was against my team is that not a vested interest in some form? , this is what my debate is about, its not personal towards anyone, but I will defend myself when a reply seems personal towards me and with out foundation, one can agree or disagree as much as you want about the debate ,

greek Wingtips wrote:

I agree with you, whole heartedly , if I read something nasty lets say about my football team that I follow and have a season ticket, I don't have to disagree with the writer but i could write a nasty reply or discrete the writer just because it was against my team is that not a vested interest in some form? , this is what my debate is about, its not personal towards anyone, but I will defend myself when a reply seems personal towards me and with out foundation, one can agree or disagree as much as you want about the debate ,

I see.  My vested interest in any third party viewer or in the reputation of my home town in real life would be exactly that. A vested interest in the success of either/both.  Not as an employee, just as a happy resident who wishes everyone felt as happy about the same things as I do.

greek Wingtips wrote:

Dear Amethyst, you make rather sweeping statements to which I like you to set the record, you said "No one on the forums has a vested interest in SL unless they are a Linden" is this something you know as a fact or guessing,and please stand corrected I never suspected or said you have or had an vested interest you implied that what I think, big differenced

However, in your other thread you did explicitly say you thought Renn Toxx had a vested interest in SL when they disagreed with you.

You just about accused me of being an employee of LL or having a vested interest in another thread, " but if you have a vested interest in sl maybe an employee you would say that," when I disagreed with your assertions and you were unable to refute them.

Should I be able to sue you for defamation of character?  I am not an employee of LL nor do I have a vested interest beyond just being another Resident of SL just like you.

Ad hominem attacks are usually the last the last resort of someone who is finding themselves at the losing end of a discussion.

But to answer your specific question, I will agree IF an employee of Linden Lab is responding they should identify themselves as such.

Now can we make up and play nice nice?

First I dont think it is a stupid thread and 2nd I have no problem if an LL employee shared there thoughts in forums if anything it would be a great thing for them to share our gripes and thoughts, it would eliminate many myths, but if I have a gripe or a complaint about anything I should have the right to mention it in here without the fear of anyone attacking me or discrediting me , by all means tear my argument down, but dont get personal if one does then bites back, hope that makes sence

Qie Niangao wrote:

Come to think of it, this all assumes that Linden employees, posting under pseudonyms, would be less critical of the Lab than the rest of us. That assumption seems unwarranted. In fact, I'd expect the opposite.

It is bad juju for a company when they get caught sock puppetting their own Forums.  Can result in lots of voodoo mumbo jumbo.

I'd imagine that the employees at LL all sign NDA's as well as other terms of employment.

My son worked for a third party provider of tech support.  In his employment contract, while he was allowed to say who he worked for, he was NOT allowed to say who the support actually was for.

You took things personal when you attacked Amethyst. Maybe if you word things differently people would join your discussion instead of having to defend what you say about them. Stand by what you believe but maybe in a less rude manner would be more helpful to how you receive replies.

edit: spelling, apparently I can't spell and type today

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.