Jump to content

Should Hair be Modifiable or No Mod??


OceanIsGrey
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I think they should definitely be sold as modify.

1. Without resizer scripts it cuts down on the lag.
2. Sometimes the color looks weird and tinting it fixes it. For example, some hair stores sell a dark gray as black and if it isn't dark enough I like to be able to tint it darker to my liking.
3. For sculpted hairs, sometimes the strands clip in a weird place, or the bangs are longer than I'd like, etc.. and being able to modify the prims to either fix a clipping issue or just change the style slightly is really nice to be able to do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Jade Glazner wrote:

I think they should definitely be sold as modify.

1. Without resizer scripts it cuts down on the lag.

2. Sometimes the color looks weird and tinting it fixes it. For example, some hair stores sell a dark gray as black and if it isn't dark enough I like to be able to tint it darker to my liking.

3. For sculpted hairs, sometimes the strands clip in a weird place, or the bangs are longer than I'd like, etc.. and being able to modify the prims to either fix a clipping issue or just change the style slightly is really nice to be able to do. 

Yes, I can see that.... 

What about mesh hair? 

You can't modify them or move individual prims to change the style slightly, all it does is change color. 

And we tolerate it all because it's mesh...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mesh has other advantages and its only no-mod as long as its rigged mesh. Also I still need prim hair that is modifiable, because I have some furry avatars and there prim heads make the use of mesh hair not possible. Its good when I can adjust the hair for the head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMHO, if possible any prim should be modifiable, as long as your business model doesn't rely on modified prims. So if you sell hair, and you expect customers to pay for another color, you obviously can't sell them with mod permission, because SL's mod permission is not fine grained (i. e. modify size, but not texture or tint).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

imho, hair should be mod, bec there is always smth to set for it fit better your avatar.

For the color change i wouldnt be worry bec honnestly if someone wants to change the color just using the color tool in sl, i wish to him/her good luck. Color is not the same on the whole hair, this is why its textured and not only colored. So well, no, you cant change only the color without doing a big mess.

Regarding the mesh hair. well they cant be mod for now. Anyway i dont buy them, i dont like them bec they look plastic and not flexible at all.. i still prefer have to deal with the lil pb about flexy hair going throught my shoulders than looking like i have a plastic bag on my head. :smileywink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a customer, my personal preference is both Modify and Copy. Modify because I am fussy how the hair looks and want to be able to tweak it if necessary (and nothing ever fits me right "out of the box").

i also like it being Copy so that I can create several different versions for different purposes. For example I have some outfits that look better with a longer style, and some that look better with shorter hair. So I like being able to create variations that will go with specific outfits.

As a Merchant, I personally prefer selling items that are Mod/Copy so that my customers can make whatever tiny changes they may want ... with retexturing being a big preference for many. Since the items are copyable, customers are far less likely to accidentally ruin their only copy and thus need a replacement. It does happen, but far less often.

Again though, these are my personal preferences and I've built my business model around selling Mod/Copy products. I do understand others have different business models, but this one works best for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

imho, hair should be mod, bec there is always smth to set for it fit better your avatar.

THIS^^  I also don't like resizer scripts in hair because, as someone mentioned, I often need to just place one prim in the hair differently.  I also wear hats a lot and need to be able to delete portions of hair that are sticking out of the hat or make them transparent.

Regarding the mesh hair. well they cant be mod for now. Anyway i dont buy them, i dont like them bec they look plastic and not flexible at all.. i still prefer have to deal with the lil pb about flexy hair going throught my shoulders than looking like i have a plastic bag on my head.

Agree here as well.  IMO, most of the mesh hair I have seen looks like it was formed out of playdough or toothpaste.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Czari Zenovka wrote:

 

Agree here as well.  IMO, most of the mesh hair I have seen
looks like it was formed out of playdough or toothpaste.

(bold is mine)

hahahahhaha yes ! exactly ! ive never thought to this but now you say it, indeed ! Well, now i wont never be able to try even a demo mesh hair without laughing hard...Thanks Czari ! :smileywink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Trinity Yazimoto wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:

 

Agree here as well.  IMO, most of the mesh hair I have seen
looks like it was formed out of playdough or toothpaste.

(bold is mine)

hahahahhaha yes ! exactly ! ive never thought to this but now you say it, indeed ! Well, now i wont never be able to try even a demo mesh hair without laughing hard...Thanks Czari ! :smileywink:

Anytime ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


OceanIsGrey wrote:

 

Jade Glazner wrote:

I think they should definitely be sold as modify.

1. Without resizer scripts it cuts down on the lag.

2. Sometimes the color looks weird and tinting it fixes it. For example, some hair stores sell a dark gray as black and if it isn't dark enough I like to be able to tint it darker to my liking.

3. For sculpted hairs, sometimes the strands clip in a weird place, or the bangs are longer than I'd like, etc.. and being able to modify the prims to either fix a clipping issue or just change the style slightly is really nice to be able to do. 

Yes, I can see that.... 

What about mesh hair? 

You can't modify them or move individual prims to change the style slightly, all it does is change color. 

And we tolerate it all because it's mesh...

 

 

It isn't the merchant's choice to set rigged mesh hair to no modify. Even if it is set to modify, you cannot resize it with or without a script. That's the tradeoff for having hair that moves with the avatar. Always try the demo before buying rigged mesh hair.

 

Now hair that is mesh but not rigged should be set to modify so that the customer can resize to their liking. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love modifyable hair because very often there is one piece that sticks into my avatar's head or face. I want to edit that one piece. Or if there is a hair decoration, hairband, ponytail holder, etc., I want to recolor (or even retexture) it myself as needed.

Menus are well and good but do not always solve the above. Maybe include two hairs in the package for those less experienced with editing and label one hair 'do not edit.' Or something.

But I can understand why creators don't wish to send out modifyable prims. it's a shame it has to be that way but I do understand it. 

Just my vote as a customer is the above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


mtwtfss71 wrote:

 

It isn't the merchant's choice to set rigged mesh hair to no modify. Even if it is set to modify, you cannot resize it with or without a script. That's the tradeoff for having hair that moves with the avatar. Always try the demo before buying rigged mesh hair.

Now hair that is mesh but not rigged should be set to modify so that the customer can resize to their liking.
:)

Even rigged items can be modifiable and should be made so.  One cannot resize nor adjust the location of rigged mesh, but one can change the colour, and even the texture when the rigged mesh item is set modifiable.

What I dislike is that some designers set their rigged mesh items no mod and then sell the same item separately, with same texturing, just tinted to a different colour. Ufff... :smileymad:

When I buy something I always prefer the ones which are modifiable.  I try to avoid no mod items as a plague.

 

Mesh hair, hmm... it could work for short hairs.  Long mesh hairs have no natural liveliness in them, flexi prims are still the best method for long lively hairs.

 

Anyway, all hairs should be modifiable.  As a matter of fact: All items should be modifiable.

(I don't get what is the idea in no mod items.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...