Find Your Friends By Email Address

SweetFurry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SL hails itself as a social media networking kind of place - i guess not much different to say facebook twitter or the like cept its a little more indepth than just text on a screen ... so why can we not have a search for friends by email so we can get together within SL -> just like facebook can search for your friends by email makes things so much faster and easier

SweetFurry wrote:

SL hails itself as a social media networking kind of place - i guess not much different to say facebook twitter or the like cept its a little more indepth than just text on a screen ... so why can we not have a search for friends by email so we can get together within SL -> just like facebook can search for your friends by email makes things so much faster and easier

Mostly because people want their privacy. I don't give out my email address to anyone except my close SL friends..don't need someone I just met stalking me to find out my personal information...or visa versa.

SL is NOT facebook and many are glad for the privacy they can have here. For quite many people SL is not just a chatbox with some nice graphics, its a social and creative tool. Most people I know use it as a little stressfree escape form their real life they don't want to handle Second Life like a second facebook. Or do you post your last vacation photots on your profile feed?

Also it would be a useless feature, because of SL being a program which is not used by many. It is quite rare someone has friends which are also in Second Life. Even is they had them here...some people are exploring and exposing sites of their personality here which they don't want to show to people from their rl.

SweetFurry wrote:

SL hails itself as a social media networking kind of place - I guess not much different to say facebook twitter or the like cept its a little more indepth than just text on a screen ... so why can we not have a search for friends by email so we can get together within SL -> just like facebook can search for your friends by email makes things so much faster and easier

Because I really don't need or want to find out that the sexy woman I was with last night was really my second cousin named Joe.

This place values its privacy. It lets people be a lot more self expressive and free in how and who they represent themselves as - thereby giving us much truer pictures of each other. That's a lot more useful than getting all up in someone else's business...

The suggestion would destroy all of that. It'd kill this community in an instant.

SweetFurry wrote:

Because SL is a second life and Facebook belongs to real life...

Many of us like to keep them apart or at least be in charge of who we let in this second life we got... I got seperate email for my sl aswell as i see others do, but I truly do not think its a good idea.. My dad, exboss, son, dentist (yeah even he is on my list) omg.... I could just imagen them if they got a invite to second life from me *runs to hide for a few yrs .......

------> pooofffffff I wasnt here shhhhh

Or this... *nods and agrees with Pussycat

Pussycat Catnap

This place values its privacy. It lets people be a lot more self expressive and free in how and who they represent themselves as - thereby giving us much truer pictures of each other. That's a lot more useful than getting all up in someone else's business...

The suggestion would destroy all of that. It'd kill this community in an instant.

Edited to add pussycats answer ;)

madam Martian wrote:

SweetFurry wrote:

Because
SL is a second life
and
Facebook belongs to real life

Many of us like to keep them apart or at least be in charge of who we let in this second life we got... I got seperate email for my sl aswell as i see others do, but I truly do not think its a good idea.. My dad, exboss, son, dentist (yeah even he is on my list) omg.... I could just imagen them if they got a invite to second life from me *runs to hide for a few yrs .......

------> pooofffffff I wasnt here shhhhh

Or this...
*nods and agrees with Pussycat

Edited to add pussycats answer
;)

Absolutely!  The last thing I want people to know is that I play a gender confused bisexual furry rodent who thinks he's from Mars.

madam Martian wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Absolutely!  The last thing I want people to know is that I play a gender confused bisexual furry rodent who thinks he's from Mars.

You must come from the upper eastcoast of Mars
:P
  Im from the westside, but shh dont tell anyone... *giggless

Employers can already find a lot of information about someone in their social media activity.

"We do appreciate your interest in our company Miss Jones... or shall we say Miss Resident, but your propensity in the Second Life forums for casting aspersions on others based upon their lifestyle choices is not a quality we would value here at Company X."

I am aware that, for many people, especially most recent users, SL it’s only a social networking to chat and socialize. But for most of us, it is much more than that. It’s rather a place where one can do, be and have all those things we can’t be, do and have in RL. (BTW; some of those things might be strongly frowned upon by our family,  friends, coworkers or  employers)

To each their own, but IMO, to see SL only like some kind of FB or twitter is missing the best of it…I really miss the good old days in which SL  and FB and “RealLifers” were  opposite terms

Definitely; Not. I would be strongly against any option to  be found in SL without my expressed consent

Can't they just put their email in their profile or give it out when they want to?

If I were forced to expose my email in connection with my avatar, I would delete every single one of my accounts in a flash. The internet as it is, is one of the last places that has some semblance of freedom. We lose that, it is not a good sign.

I do realize that's illusory since TPTB can always do stuff that figures ya out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.