How will Y2K affect SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My SL seems to be lagging more and more slowly. I think part of it is cause my computer is probably biting the dust. Mesh, pathfinding, etc in SL probably isn't helping my cause.

So I am stuck with V1 or early versions of V2. I just stick with phoenix cause it allows megaprim resizing.

I am concerned though that maybe either my computer (built in 2007) or V1 might not be Y2K compliant.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Shelby Silverspar wrote:

am I the only one scratching my head here? Y2K? Didn't that happen over a decade ago?

Nah, I was staring at the title too, it's been a while someone mentioned Y2K. The lights would go out and all? I remember waiting at midnight, the lights stayed on....

At sunset that year I closed all my shades. turned out all my lights, unplugged all my telephones, etc, etc, and said to my gal, if we're gonna go we're gonna go the way everyone says they'd wanna go.

Got in bed and we didn't crawl out of it till the next morning.  And when I said crawled, I mean crawled.

What a night.

That's my plans for the Mayan Calender this year too.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Shelby Silverspar wrote:

am I the only one scratching my head here? Y2K? Didn't that happen over a decade ago?

Nah, I was staring at the title too, it's been a while someone mentioned Y2K. The lights would go out and all? I remember waiting at midnight, the lights stayed on....

At sunset that year I closed all my shades. turned out all my lights, unplugged all my telephones, etc, etc, and said to my gal, if we're gonna go we're gonna go the way everyone says they'd wanna go.

Got in bed and we didn't crawl out of it till the next morning.  And when I said crawled, I mean crawled.

What a night.

That's my plans for the Mayan Calender this year too.

LOL and you knew all the time nothing would happen.you sneaky lil devil hehehe

i was in yahoo listening to everyone tell us to get off the net before it's too late lol

i was saying things like..

i heard you shoudl turn everything on so i turned on the other computers also..

noo noo turn them off what are you insain!! \o/

ok turned them off and back on again..now what?

Noo keep them off!!

why would i want to keep all my computers off..especially this one..how am i sposed to keep getting advice if i have you turned off?

omg 3 minutes left you guys..turn them off now!!!

brb gonna go get some hot pockets made and see you in a few minutes guys..

The whole deal with Y2K was the date format used for computers.........that xx/xx/xx where only the last two digits were used for the year.  The theory was that once the date changed from 99 to 00 at midnight Jan 31 the world as we know it would end.  Everything would stop working since everything depended on computers.............the whole world would crash and burn.  A lot of work was put into business applications to correct the date format (I know a contract programmer who make a lot of money digging through Cobal code for months and months making those corrections).  I don't know if the world would have ended had all that work not been done but I do believe the whole thing was over-hyped..........practically no problems arose and with the sheer number of lines of code that had to be gone through there were surely a significant number of businesses (and private users) who did not spend the money to correct the code.  My thinking is not much would have happened that would have caused the issues that were hyped back in 1999.......but that's my opinion based on a gut feeling (take it or leave it).

But I must admit to confusion at the title (and the text) of this thread.  Y2K (short of year 2000) was 12 years ago.  12 years ago SL didn't exist (2001 is when the beta release was introduced, I believe) so what does SL and Y2K have in common?  Nothing.........absolutely nothing at all.

hahahaha y2k! I remember all that hype! It's like everyone in the whole world forgot that in 1900 we didn't even have computers. So if every computer went down... So what? Worst case scenario: A little inconvenience.

Just like the world is going to end now because some overachieving Mayan finally got writers cramp!

solstyse wrote:

hahahaha y2k! I remember all that hype! It's like everyone in the whole world forgot that in 1900 we didn't even have computers. So if every computer went down... So what? Worst case scenario: A little inconvenience.

Just like the world is going to end now because some overachieving Mayan finally got writers cramp!

In 1900 the world in general wasn't run on a power grid via computers; that was the issue - if the power grid went down, all the services that we depend on that are dependent on the grid, which is pretty much everything, would have put us back to living life in the 1900s.

I personally didn't think anything was going to happen but I did get a solar/crank powered radio, a stash of MRE's, stored water as well as purchasing a snazzy water purifier from England, stocked up on batteries, candles, and waterproof matches, made sure I had medical supplies, etc.  Always a good idea to be prepared. ;)

What good was the crank powered radio?  All the stations would be off the air..........well they would be after their diesel tanks ran dry from the standby generators :)  And that stock pile of batteries might have gotten you shot.......such a valuable commodity when there's no power (for flash lights only)  :)

I went to bed Dec 31/Jan 1 at my normal time on New Years.........about 5 minutes after midnight.  My TV was working since I watched Dick Clark ring in New Years.  :)  I knew then all was safe on the home front.  :)

VRprofessor wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i think it was just a parody of another thread in the forums with a simlar title.. hehehe

^^ this is what I was thinking.  

I had considered the possibility that the OP was confusing Y2K with IPv6.

All these durn aconyms.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

And that stock pile of batteries might have gotten you shot.......such a valuable commodity when there's no power (for flash lights only) 
:)

Oh I was prepared for that too and ummmm, I'll leave it at that. ;)

Like I said, I honestly didn't have any fear at all that anything was going to happen re: Y2K but, since I live in an area thas is known for "weather-related emergencies" that have taken the power out for days at a time, I needed to have that stuff on hand anyway and it was a good time to get off my butt and do a bit of preparedness.

I've used the crank-powered radio quite bit during power outages. Used the batteries as needed over the years.  Ate the MREs - they actually weren't too bad.  It's recommended to keep extra water on hand at all times in my area due to our storms.  Really, nothing I purchased or stocked up on went to waste.

Y2K was funny. I had to pick up a friend from work about midnight... I had the radio going in my car and the DJ's were like, "I figured we would be alright, if the b*****d 3rd world countries crossed over OK I knew we were good".

I had this old 1988 K car at the time and IT didnt even die. But it wanted to. That's another story.

Y2K was a classic case of people failing to understand both the problem and the solution. The media scared the whole thing up to a ridiculous degree and a lot of people bought into the panic. Meanwhile, a lot of dedicated people spent many hours digging through crusty, ancient code looking at the implications of the problem.

A lot of time and expense was spent on fixing problems, and then the (majority of) people wondered why hardly anything went wrong. They felt the time and expense had been a waste, because hardly anything went wrong.

Hardly anything went wrong *BECAUSE* a lot of work went into making sure things went right. It's like thinking all the money you spend on engine oil is a waste because your car engine doesn't seize up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.