This forum over SLU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

He is not commited to Second Life, he hates it here and it is apparent by his posts and actions. When do we get a new leader?

we dont need a new "leader" !!!

we need to take SL over & run it as a non-profit user owned cooperative

this dom/sub mindset must be so deeply ingrained in the heads of people .. or are they sheep? .. that they cant even think beyond it

~sheesh~

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

He is not commited to Second Life, he hates it here and it is apparent by his posts and actions. When do we get a new leader?

we dont need a new "leader" !!!

we need to take SL over & run it as a non-profit user owned cooperative

this dom/sub mindset must be so deeply ingrained in the heads of people .. or are they sheep? .. that they cant even think beyond it

~sheesh~

Jeanne

I'm just too busy at the moment admiring  Echo's t1ts to do much thinking.

Linden Lab is a private company - unless you'd like to form your own corporation, amass a small fortune and outright buy out their board of directors ...

Then the notion of general users "taking over" the company and their software is nothing more than an idle pipe dream, thought up by those who actually believe that customers have a real say in the direction of private software companies.

I appreciate both forums, and visit each one, daily. Both have their trolls, all avoidable, and both also have some great people who are very helpful.

SLU is a lot more active than this forum, and retains more older SL residents with a huge knowledge pool. It's a real asset to have.

Sometimes, less moderation makes for free-er and more valuble discussion. And those at the SLU who aren't there for genuine reasons will often be sniffed out pretty quickly and played with a bit. People there have memories, I guess. I can't really comment on your post there or here, Boudicca, as I generally keep out of politics. Nor can I comment on whether or not you stand out like you claim and are particularly disliked...as I have never noticed, to be entirely honest. Heheh perhaps that does count as a comment :P

Anyway, I'm one you'll find in both forums, and like others, I'm the same maturity in both. You won't find me being ruder or politer in one or the other. Hopefully I'm more the latter.

Solar Legion wrote:

Linden Lab is a private company - unless you'd like to form your own corporation, amass a small fortune and outright buy out their board of directors ...

Then the notion of general users "taking over" the company and their software is nothing more than an idle pipe dream, thought up by those who actually believe that customers have a real say in the direction of private software companies.

if we organized a tier strike we would have LL by the ballz .. theyd either sell SL to us for a song or give it to us .. they might as well since we'd drive em bankrupt if they didnt :catwink:

but then i guess youd rather just bend over to your corporate overlords ...

Jeanne

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

What you speak of is rubbish, in a fantasy reality, maybe. This is real life, and in the real world, companies make money, there are no free lunches. Please go away and make a virtual world that conforms to your communist ideals.

the fantasy reality is in your head Charolotte .. how much did you get for your soul?

im not going away .. why dont you?

Jeanne

Darren Scorpio wrote:

A few months ago, I recall there was a thread over there where Rod Humble or whatever name likes to go by, popped in and asked the question "what would residents like to see to make SL better?" or something of the sort. I cannot begin to tell you how upset I was to see that there rather than here. How hard is it to start a thread here and ask that question? Or is this forum software too confusing for him to start a thread?

The reason for Rod not posting here is clear to me.  Anything that he might post on the "official forum" would and should be taken as company policy.  He can post on outside forums and social venues without fear of every idea he floats being taken as policy and thrown back in his face.  It is the same reason you don't see other Linden's posting unless it involves official communication.  The only exception has been the feeds.  Take the debacle that was Zindra.  There were open discussions held with a Linden team in the forums trying to define and discuss the new rules concerning adult content.  It was a cluster**** because policy cannot be discussed in such a manner, it will be misconstrued at every turn.  Pink Linden tried joining discussions in the forums at XStreet SL right after it was sold to LL and she did more harm than good.  Rod is just playing smart, while at the same time trying to actually have a discourse with users. 

(Commenting before reading other responses.)

Many regulars from the old forums, maybe two forums ago now...lol...I've lost track, were so disgusted that LL was shutting down the previous forums and went to SLU, many never to return.  I get that and really miss some of them.

As for me, the main reason I don't post on SLU is I simply don't like spreading myself out into too many venues.  It is just how I'm wired.  I'm a "uni-tasker" (did I just coin a new word?) and put full concentration into what I am doing at any given moment.  Even trying to field two IMs in world can stress me a bit.

I honestly have no opinion one way or the other re: the type of posts or type of people posting in SLU.  I just prefer to be here. :)

Darren Scorpio wrote:

Echo Hermit wrote:

Occasionally, I have thought I must be missing something by not participating in the SLU forums, but whenever I've popped in, there have been more childish and counter-productive threads that have driven me back here, to the official Second Life forums. 

However, it is bad form that the CEO would rather tweet on Twitter than use the Second Life feeds, and it is bad form also that he would prefer to participate on SLU than here, even if SLU has been in existence for longer. 

Anybody else miss seeing Torley pop in on our threads from time to time?

*Raises my hand and waves it wildly.* Torley is a true original, and was beloved largely due to that!

Friendly greetings....

Solar Legion wrote:

Nope - I'd rather live in reality where any such "tier stricke" would cause 
an actual corporation
to buy them out.

Keep dreaming.

well .. even if that was the outcome .. it couldnt be any worse than the way things now stand

i will keep dreaming tyvm .. sorry that youve lost the ability :catsad:

Jeanne

Lest I come off sounding like I agree with the Linden's silence, I do not.  The lack of communication frustrates me also.  I just don't believe it is possible for them to "participate" in the forums.  Torley posts mutliple times on the feeds daily (whether or not you agree with/like the feeds) and he can get away with it because he is liked by most and not controversial.  Rod tried to particpate in the feeds and was very shortly inundated with remarks off topic to what he was trying to discuss.  It just did not work, the kids will not play nice.  They wouldn't play nice here either.  Nonetheless, there could easily be more official communications from the lab, heck, there could be any.... (hears a pin drop).  But at the same time I am glad that at least we hear something from Rod occasionally echoing from the hallway.  

JeanneAnne wrote:

if we organized a tier strike we would have LL by the ballz .. theyd either sell SL to us for a song or give it to us .. they might as well since we'd drive em bankrupt if they didnt :catwink:

but then i guess youd rather just bend over to your corporate overlords ...

Jeanne

Who's this "We", whiteman? You happily spend nothing in SL, (as is rightfully your wont), and so pay no tier and have nothing to lose, having contributed nothing materially. But the people you are telling to 'strike' are those who have made SL the place that you enjoy today, and they have much to lose. As would you if this were to happen. Get real.

Darren Scorpio wrote:

A few months ago, I recall there was a thread over there where Rod Humble or whatever name likes to go by, popped in and asked the question "what would residents like to see to make SL better?" or something of the sort. I cannot begin to tell you how upset I was to see that there rather than here. How hard is it to start a thread here and ask that question? Or is this forum software too confusing for him to start a thread?

I don' think Rodvik has ever started a thread at SLU. What happened was someone else -- just one of the ordinary SL residents over at SLU -- had started a thread by posing the question, 

Imagine that you had a chance to work for Linden Lab, using the skills and talents that you possess. Which department would you want to work in, or what job title? What goals would you most want to accomplish? If you had the opportunity, would you actually want to be a Linden?

and after a bit, Rodvik joined the thread and asked, 

Actually I do have a question for folks here. Assuming SL improved performance enormously, from region crossings to lag to render times. (big assumption I know but roll with me here) What would you do to insure new users "stuck"?

Right now after performance our biggest issue is not getting new signups or even people to experience SL for a bit, its turning them into long term users.

Any thoughts on what you would do? We have some ideas but before pulling the trigger I would be curious what folks thoughts are here. The more varied the better.

People have complained before, of course, about Rodvik posting at SLU rather than here. To my mind, though, it's in many ways a lot easier if he posts as Rodivk, a member of SLU, on Cristiano's forum, than if he posts here as the CEO on a forum belonging to his company.    Plus, of course, SLU is, and has been at least since the death of the old Resident Answers (and probably before), a larger and more active forum than this one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.