Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Typically with any culture, there will be the most popular forum, and then there will be the second most popular which is the one people go to when they get kicked off the main one. That is why "second choice" forums tend to be filled with immaturity.


Sometimes the admin(s) of the second most popular forum are also refugees/bannees of the "first choice"

 

I once did peek around SLU and yeah, it seems kind of cheezy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic


Boudicca Littlebird wrote:

 "you should provide conclusive evidence" is a bit extreme don't you think.

"The young only want to shoot things" is a bit extreme, don't you think? If your statement doesn't apply in 100% of cases, then you're insulting young people by diminishing their value here and elsewhere. Which is fine, if you want to keep it as your personal opinion (and accept that it's untrue as a statement, ergo that your opinion is either biased or prejudiced, and you accept that internally), but as soon as you present it in public you open your personal opinion up for criticism. In any case, I would understand why young people would take offence at your comments.

False assumptions and sweeping generalisations don't help anyone, and presenting an argument with inherent prejudice is unlikely to convince many people that they should take you seriously, regardless of where you choose to spend your time posting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have over 4 years of experience of combat sims in sl, i make combat systems, over 5000 people have mine, no not extreme, I am telling you that the old want to stage battles, the young just want to shoot things up, now go and look at all the ban list in the combat sims, I think you will find the proof you seem to need to have an opinion

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea how combat sims got involved.

Weren't you talking about forums?

ETA: Right, I see.

You made two baseless assumptions about young people; the first being that they only want to blow stuff up [when in combat sims], the second being that they don't think before posting [in forums]. I see no reason to take either seriously without proof. Pretty sure confusing the issue doesn't help either.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Boudicca Littlebird wrote:

yes, but the young only know how to do that, like in the combat sims, the older ones want to enact battles, the younger ones just want to shoot every thing, it is like that here, the older ones construct what they are saying, the young it is the first silly thing in their head.

 

I get what you mean - life experience counts for a lot when it comes to attitudes generally. Maybe saying "young" and "older" was incorrect (!) - some young people are, for sure, more mature than some older people BUT generally speaking, it does follow that younger = less experienced in certain aspects of life.

This is just splitting hairs though on my part - and on the part of Freya.

The young also have more energy, and will argue more - although again, it depends what people spend their energy on, and how much they have got left when they visit the forums :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Link to post
Share on other sites


Darren Scorpio wrote:


Echo Hermit wrote:

Occasionally, I have thought I must be missing something by not participating in the SLU forums, but whenever I've popped in, there have been more childish and counter-productive threads that have driven me back here, to the official Second Life forums. 

However, it is bad form that the CEO would rather tweet on Twitter than use the Second Life feeds, and it is bad form also that he would prefer to participate on SLU than here, even if SLU has been in existence for longer. 

 

This^

I have said it before myself. It is a real shame that a CEO of any company would rather socialize with people who are using a third party forum instead of his company's official forum. I'd like to see the forums here become more lively again like they used to be, that can only happen if there is participation from the Lindens. Anybody else miss seeing Torley pop in on our threads from time to time?

 

applause 2.gif

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:

Simply put, I prefer this forum over SLU.  I can't really cite a specific reason, it's just personal preference.

It's a sad state of affairs that Linden Lab can't figure out how to manage a Forum to it's own advantage, much less the advantage of the Residents.

It's even sadder that the CEO and other LL dignitaries don't see fit to post here, and to really answer our questions and our concerns here in their own Forum.  But of course, SLU doesn't cost a penny for them to manage.

I do understand that this is the official LL forum and because they are a business in the public eye, they do need to maintain a little bit more control over what is posted here.  Regardless, I do think a lot of the censorship is overkill. 
After all, I do love my pen1s.

While only LL really sees the number of unique users and can speak authoritatively on it, it is my distinct impression that fewer and fewer people post here on a regular basis.  If someone was trying to get an idea of just how popular Second Life is by looking at the participation in this Forum, they would be left with the distinct impression that the popularity doesn't extend far beyond a few hard core users.

And I love my t1ts

t1ts.jpg

 

(groans)

Link to post
Share on other sites


Qie Niangao wrote:


Freya Mokusei wrote:

Pretty sure confusing the issue doesn't help either.

It does if you're testing how people react to confusion.

 


Echo Hermit wrote:

This is just splitting hairs though on my part - and on the part of Freya.


Duely noted, and this was mostly my larger point: No-one likes taking part in rigged games, instead of spontaneous (and entertaining) discussion.

I find it to be a recurring theme however, and posted in this thread despite my better judgement.

Leopards and spots, I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perrie Juran wrote: it is my distinct impression that fewer and fewer people post here on a regular basis.  If someone was trying to get an idea of just how popular Second Life is by looking at the participation in this Forum, they would be left with the distinct impression that the popularity doesn't extend far beyond a few hard core users.

my impression isnt that fewer ppl post on here .. theres still lotsuv posts about selling land or announcing events or newbies asking for advice .. my impression is that fewer & fewer ppl post anything of interest or substance or humor

its only been a ltl over a year that iv been aware of this forum & already iv seen so many cool ppl drop out .. Carole & Void to name but a couple of them .. i like ppl who disagree & even fite w/ me & others .. so long as theyre interesting .. i dont think the forum has a short supply of posters .. it has a short supply of interesting posters .. & i think the censorship is the primary reason for that

Jeanne

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boudicca Littlebird wrote:

On the 17th of august I created a thread about the big bang

 http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Is-the-big-bang-fact-or-fiction/m-p/1638349#M74321

 at the same time I put the exact copy of it on SLU

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/politics-religion-society/75407-big-bang-fact-fiction.html

I wanted to see the difference between the 2, the replies here were more science based, wheres the replies in SLU were mostly very childish,

 

(snipped for brevity and I'm going to ignore the rest of the comments)

 


Boudicca Littlebird wrote:

I was not testing people, I was testing my abilty to fit and I failed, read the post that stands out to.


 

Make your mind up which it is.  From your posting style on there I'd say the first.

So they made fun of you, I had sympathy until I looked at your posting history (http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/search.php?searchid=4216195).

I've checked out the posts you made and you came across as a drive by troll - slu seems to attract those kind of people -  you kept making unsubstantiated statements and then never came back to answer questions or support your argument.  It's hard to take someone seriously when they don't actually want to have a conversation or attempt to back up their claims.  I notice you haven't gone back into that thread of yours to provide the details that were requested, enough people who do have crediblity there for knowing stuff weren't really impressed with what you'd written - unsurprising really since you didn't even bother to back it up with evidence.

Also your very first post after joining was saying none of them appeared to know what they were talking about, it doesn't really give the impression of someone who was serious about "fitting in" with the community.  I'm sure there are communities where you can go in and insult them in the first breath and then make statements without any facts to back them up and you'll be welcomed - I just can't think of any at the moment.

pro tip:  don't bother going back unless you actually do want to participate - the people there (and here for that matter) are not things for you to experiment with and the SLU community takes a dim view of it. Along with surveys, trolls and other timewasters. When they don't think you're serious they'll lolcat you from the outset and saying you've got a better theory than the big bang with no academic references to support it doesn't really come across as someone who wants to be taken seriously.

just my tuppence

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just joined SL a few days ago. At the suggestion of a relative I also joined SLU.


So far I am just lurking there and getting a feeling for the place. My observation so far is that if you want to avoid contention there are certain subfora to avoid. Politics and Religion being a biggie. Both are charged topic and can devolve into ugliness fast no  matter WHERE they are discussed.

The content creation forum there however is marvelous. From what I have been told it isn't at all unnusual to find a novice question answered by some of the top notch talent in SL.. That is the sort of help that is priceless to a newbie like myself that wants to start making things. I have not yet had the chance to spend much time on hte content creation forums here but I suspect they also have good information..

As for people I see several folks on this forum(even this thread) that post over at SLU. So lumping all the folks over there into one basket is probably a bad idea. Pick and choose who's words you wish to read and let ignore handle the truly offensive is my motto.

There is a great deal of truth to the idea that every Forum on the internet has its own characteristics. It is up to the user to find forums that meet thier needs in those characteristics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few months ago, I recall there was a thread over there where Rod Humble or whatever name likes to go by, popped in and asked the question "what would residents like to see to make SL better?" or something of the sort. I cannot begin to tell you how upset I was to see that there rather than here. How hard is it to start a thread here and ask that question? Or is this forum software too confusing for him to start a thread?

Link to post
Share on other sites

What you will learn about me is when I put forward a theory is that it is not up for discussion, if I allowed others to have an input then it would not be my theory would it, the fact that I reply shows I am allowing another to have input so corrupting my original thought.

 

The difference between a theory of mine and a discussion is this, it is about the diff views and attitudes of a theory, you post both I see, you should see both are the same, so what does that tell you, it is cast in stone, the discussion is about the reactions to that.

If it is a theory you wish to talk about, then put your own theory that is in opposition to that, as long as it is not the one currently seen as valid, no point talking about that as that is cast in stone to.

 

What I have noticed about so called academics is they don't like their theory cast in stone, they like to be able to adjust and change it, but most of all they like to take credit for it from day one even though they edit it later, you will find that I am not able to be that dishonest.

So put an opposing theory and I will comment if I can, if you think the current one is right then just say so but that don't need a reply from me does it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...