A House...Package? Taking House With All Things Inside To Rez Again Later

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like to hang out in a few very low traffic sandboxes with my friends and a lot of times I get out my house for it. If I put any furniture inside it, I always have to do this every single time. It's time consuming. Is there a way for me to put everything just the way I want it in my house and then sort of...take all of it to rez again later? It's sort of hard for me to explain. Sometimes people buy whole houses that are fully furnished when they rez it out of the box. I basically want to do the same thing but for myself. I want to be able to take my house out and have everything inside it where I left it. Is this possible? If it is, how would I do this?

Sandboxes are not THERE to squat. They're there for people to build and to open up boxes.

What you are doing is squatting and banned by every single sandbox. It's rude as all hell, too. Your house and furniture are taking up the prims of said sandbox that the owner offers for free to BUILDERS.

You should be ashamed.

Each time you enter a sandbox you will get a notecard with the rules. In every single one of them squatting is banned.

These individuals pay up to $295 and that is REAL LIFE CASH per month to offer this sandbox service to builders. And what do you do? You put your house down and squat there without paying rent while a) the rest of us pay rent to our landlord b) you are using up prims that others NEED.

You should still feel ashamed, and I wasn't rude, I was telling you the truth.

You are taking advantage of nice folks without a single care about it, and even when called out on it you snippishly respond with 'oh I didn't know!' Ignorance is NOT bliss. If you murdered someone in real life, or stole something and got caught by the cops, do you think that excuse would fly? No. That is ignorant and utterly childish as a defense.

I have zero tolerance for people who abuse the good will of others and pretend it isn't a wrong thing to do.

You should feel really ashamed.

• Like 1

@ Viper --  OK.  Now I feel like the other half of Good cop, Bad cop.  You learned a lesson.  Second Life is not a game.  It's as real as RL is and we're all real people.  Every bit of land in SL is owned by somebody.  If it's not owned by Linden Lab, it's owned by someone who shells out hundreds of dollars in land fees to Linden Lab every month.  Occasionally you'll find a landowner who is pretty laid back (or who isn't paying attention) and will let you squat on his land for a while.  Maybe you'll find a friend who will let you stay with her.  Most of the time, though, landowners get very upset when they find you using their land to build on.  You've just had a mild taste of the kind of reaction you might get.  So ..... don't do it.

Maybe I should stay out of this but for the 12 years of past experience as a community manager I don't find this acceptable.

@ViperElle, lacking information from your profile I'll assume you are a woman for simplicity.

@iCade, I think you'd make a better service to ViperElle if you explained to her how things work wthout chastising her. The post she made was her first one here and she joined the forum the very same day. It is obvious that she is not aware of the squatting rule, else she would not post here asking about her house. And, frankly, I didn't know there was an explicit rule myself even if I joined SL more than 5 years ago. To my excuse, I never use sandboxes. And, just to be precise, unless things have changed and I didn't notice, not all sandboxes are paid for. Several of them are on Linden land. There is still the issue of using prims but new users are not necessarily aware of how things work or if there is any money involved.

@iCade, it is clear that your intentions are good but when dealing with matters such as this as a rule of thumb it is better to assume for the best. A user with good intentions will be informed and thank you, anyone else can be handled accordingly.

Oh right, I forgot americans must have political correctness and sugar coating at all times.
I wasn't being rude, I was being blunt, that's the way we are over here. Sugar coating helps no one, put down the facts, tell people what they are doing is wrong without cooing at them at the same time and they are more likely to get the hint.

Being new is no excuse, as I said before, ignorance is not bliss. If she would squat a piece of land in real life, the excuse of 'I didn't know' wouldn't fly either.

Just because I did not sugar coat, nor conformed to the american coddling form of speech does not make my post less valid.

It might be possible to select the furniture objects together as a group  and take into you inventory. then they would be in the same position and rotation in regards to each other when you take them out again and put in your house. I am  builder so I am not sure that items placed in a rez-faux/rez-foo packager need to be full perms. you could try that. That way you just take out the rez-faux box and things will be rezzed according to the position and rotation relative to the box. Then you just move the box around to get the furniture where you want it. Dunno about the permissions thing though.

It doesn't change much, iCade. The difference between blunt and rude is really thin and neither are necessary when someone new just ask a question in good faith. You make improbable comparisons with RL, what you don't realize is that she was not aware she was squatting. Either way, a polite answer will take you that extra mile and you can reserve the bluntness to serial offenders, where it is deserved.

For the record, I am not American. I am Italian. And I think that treating people properly is an universal value.. :)

• Like 1

Indigo Mertel wrote:

It doesn't change much, iCade. The difference between blunt and rude is really thin and neither are necessary when someone new just ask a question in good faith. You make improbable comparisons with RL, what you don't realize is that she was not aware she was squatting. Either way, a polite answer will take you that extra mile and you can reserve the bluntness to serial offenders, where it is deserved.

For the record, I am not American. I am Italian. And I think that treating people properly is an universal value..
:)

You know what the proper treatment for squatting in SL is? ARing them for:

Land> Abuse of Sandbox resources

Just as i would do in RL, call the cops. in this case LL. i was at a sandbox with one other person who had a three story house rezzed so they had a place to stay while they tested their scripts... there were 250 prims left for anyone else to use.

Hmm... @Drake, where did I say squatting should be condoned? I ARed my share of squatters. Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. I expressed my opinion about the way this specific case was handled, not about squatting in general.

Since everyone here enjoys making comparisons to RL, do you think that in RL a squatter would go to the city hall to ask to have power attached?

No more improbable comparisons with RL, please. They only derail the conversation. The matter is simple: one person who is new to Second Life asks in good faith something that is not legitimate. A simple, polite explanation sets the matter, period. If the same person is caught squatting again, then you have all the reasons to AR him/her.

@Indigo Mertel: Thank you for not joining in on the chastising. I appreciate it a lot. 

@Everyone else: I know the land owner of the main sandbox I go to. Also, you're all making it sound like I take out a giant house and leave it there. I go to a far corner of the sandbox if there's only one or two other people there and I see that they're not building and take out a tiny house. Then I go in and change clothes to save outfits, unpack stuff, and try out things I've made. A lot of times I tell a couple of my IRL friends to keep me company while I'm there. I'm there for 30 minutes tops if I'm not making outfits for quick changing. I mean where else am I supposed to do something like that? I can't just get naked in a public place. Not that I'm saying doing the stuff I just meantioned is perfectly fine (if it isn't) now that I know the rule, but I'm just saying it could be a lot worse. I've seen people do worse in the amount of time I've been playing the game. I try really hard to leave nothing behind and am courteous to the other people in the sandbox. You're making me sound like a complete **bleep**.

Pardon me for wanting to learn how to build something (you know, what sandboxes are for, right?) and have it ready made with stuff inside of it. What if I wanted to build something like that to put in the Marketplace? I get it, squatting is severely frowned upon and banned. But there's a difference between "Squatting is banned in every sandbox so don't do that if you want to keep going there. Ect, ect, ect people pay for it every month, ect, ect." And "You should be ashamed of yourself, ect, ect, ect." Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not ashamed of myself. My account has been active for about a year but I've probably played for a month and a half of that time if that. I'm still pretty new. I read the rules on the sandboxes I go to and I've never seen "No rezzing houses" anywhere. So thanks for informing me of the rule but being flat out rude wasn't necessary. It's rude people that ruin the game for everyone else, to be honest. Like fantastic, you know what you're talking about. You could have just been firm but respectful about it though. 

I don't see how it's the pot calling the kettle black when I wasn't rude to you in my first reply. I didn't start to get kind of rude until you called my true defense (because I really didn't know) childish. It's not sugar coating anything to just say things in a non-condescending way. People are much more receptive to what's said when they don't feel like they're being talked down to. Maybe it's your culture or maybe not but how you were talking to me really did come off abrasively. It's the sort of thing that causes flame wars. You can think that the world is against you and how you speak and everyone is just a bunch of crybabies, or you can realize that telling people that they should be ashamed of themselves for doing something that they didn't know is against the rules probably won't solve anything. 

But ah well. Thank you for informing me of the rule. I'm not going to continue arguing and all that anymore.  You can have the last word if you like. I realize some people would have been a lot meaner so thanks...I guess.

Viper, try to ignore the rude ones. I applaude you for coming back here and staying civil. You don't have to link everything together in order to take it into your inventory as one object, just set your select tool to "select by surrounding," and draw a box around the things you want to select and when everything you want is highlighted, take it into your inventory. The icon will look like a rubiks cube with a piece missing in your inventory, instead of the usual square box for a linked object.

I really can't believe how rude people get over something like this. Easy enough to just explain, especially to a newbie, what the rules are instead of jumping down their throat to chastise them.

Oh wow, that's so easy. I never would have thought of that haha. And thank you. 

And yeah, I don't get to have the full experience of SL because I don't have money to rent but I love to decorate and stuff. I see SL as grown up barbies really. So I figure I'd decorate my cute little freebie charm's house and then take it all back into my inventory and redecorate it later sometime when I get bored of it. And when I go to unpack and change and make outfits, I can use my little decorated home (if nobody is in the sandbox). That's the closest I'll ever get to having a house. If that's still not good to do then I just won't do it anymore >.<

Don't worry too much about not being able to rent land for a house.  Houses are nice, but not truly necessary.  I spent my first year in SL with my "home" set on top of a library building and was a nomad for at least another year.  Even now, although I have a house and a skybox on my parcel, I rarely spend much time in either one. If I'm working on a project, I usually rez a temporary platform high in the sky for that.  If I had to work in a sandbox instead of my parcel, that's what I would still do.  Who needs a building? 

BTW, SL is so sparsely settled that it's never hard to find somewhere quiet to change.  After a while it finally dawns on you anyway that you can change in public with no trouble at all, since you never need to take things off before you put other things on. 

@ViperElle, everyone should feel welcome to SL, unless proved to be a jerk. Unfortunately there are many who behave as jerks and exploit SL without any regard to other users. It seems clear to me that you make a genuine attempt at understanding how things work and that is to be appreciated. There are many things to learn in SL and it's easy to do something wrong without being aware of it. In your case coming to the forum and asking was the right thing to do.

@iCade, your intentions were good, you answered and said what you thought because you care. Nothing serious happened here, this is just a minor incident and I don't think you should be chastized either. You just need to work a bit on your form and assume for the best. Unless people prove to be jerks, of course. Call it sugar-coating or cultural upbringing, but I have no doubt that you are a nice person and you'll take into account other people's views on better ways to deal with matters. As far as I am concerned, I just wish to close this with a virtual handshake.

Now, for funny anecdotes on wrong things to do: a couple of years ago, back at the time when we had mega-prims, I was checking the size of some of the mega-prims I had in my inventory by rezzing them one by one. There was one with a strange name that included the word CAREFUL! I rezzed it, and... the thing was humongous, spanning several regions! Every avatar in range must have thought what the heck was going on. I deleted the prim as fast as I could, sweating cold as I imagined the Lindens on a chase already... :)

Indigo Mertel wrote:

Since everyone here enjoys making comparisons to RL, do you think that in RL a squatter would go to the city hall to ask to have power attached?

Very much so yes, here in the Netherlands squatters have the right to have gas/light/water attached to their home of choice:)

Other than that I agree.

Just wanted to comment: I don't think we should assume that because something is "as big as a house" that it is going to be causing a sandbox to lag. I've been working on a house for a 512 parcel and I've taken it to a sandbox so that I have room to move around. Even when I tried adding a fourth floor it was less than 40 prims and five scripts.  I often see people working on much larger houses.

I don't see taking your house with you and rezzing it for a while on a sandbox as a capitol offense....In fact, I think it shows a certain ingenuity.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.