Goodbye Dear Feather. I Will Remember You Fondly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For any who don't follow or peruse the Technology Sub Forum there have changes been made to the server code that mean we will no longer need our feathers.

Oskar Linden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

"NOTE!: The avatar fly height will be set to 5,000m after the simulator deploy."

With the changes to the fly height functions will flight feathers and other flight assist tools be no longer needed?  What are the effects on their functions?  Is it safe to take my parachute off now when I fly?

You won't need flight feathers/assist tools anymore. Parachutes are optional.

__Oskar

Deploys For The Week Of 2012-04-16 (pops)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perrie Juran wrote:

For any who don't follow or peruse the Technology Sub Forum there have changes been made to the server code that mean we will no longer need our feathers.

Oskar Linden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

"
NOTE!
: The avatar fly height will be set to 5,000m after the simulator deploy."

With the changes to the fly height functions will flight feathers and other flight assist tools be no longer needed?  What are the effects on their functions?  Is it safe to take my parachute off now when I fly?

__Oskar

I've flown to >10K m .. & woulduv gone higher cept i got bored sitting ther holding the E key down. I use2 always wear a parachute too .. but get back down quicker w/out it so have ditched it

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Oskar Linden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

"
NOTE!
: The avatar fly height will be set to 5,000m after the simulator deploy."

__Oskar

I've flown to >10K m .. & woulduv gone higher cept i got bored sitting ther holding the E key down. I use2 always wear a parachute too .. but get back down quicker w/out it so have ditched it

Jeanne

There was a thread a while back by someone who hit like 100K.  I tried to dig it back up out a few weeks ago but couldn't find it again.  The bravery of that Avatar in ascending to that great height was epic.  If I recall correctly he kept us posted on his journey until he finally lost radio contact with us.   (perhaps someone else has that thread book marked).

Perrie Juran wrote:

There was a thread a while back by someone who hit like 100K.  I tried to dig it back up out a few weeks ago but couldn't find it again.  The bravery of that Avatar in ascending to that great height was epic.  If I recall correctly he kept us posted on his journey until he finally lost radio contact with us.   (perhaps someone else has that thread book marked).

By now he must just be a piece of frozen space junk !! :catsad:

Jeanne :catlol:

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

I went to several hundred thousand meters once.  I forgot exactly how I did it, but I somehow got my avatar to keep ascending without having to hold a key.  Then I went afk for several hours.

Do you think you may have encountered some aliens or did you just pass out.  Could the aliens have done something to block your memory during that time?  Have you tried anything to regain it?  I'd hate to have several hours of my life unaccounted for.

Innominatus Blackheart wrote:

Some of the better flight tools will still be nice to have I'm guessing, due to them having higher speed options.

When i was new to SL i wanted to attend or organize flying races .. but then i realized that the person who had the best computer would win. I have a flight accelerator but draw distance has to be set high for it to be useful .. & for that ~uv course~ you need a highend puter ..

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Innominatus Blackheart wrote:

Some of the better flight tools will still be nice to have I'm guessing, due to them having higher speed options.

When i was new to SL i wanted to attend or organize flying races .. but then i realized that the person who had the best computer would win. I have a flight accelerator but draw distance has to be set high for it to be useful .. & for that ~uv course~ you need a highend puter ..

Jeanne

I use April Heaney's Omicron multi-tool HUD that has a flight tool. It has a slider to select your desired speed. I usually have it set somewhere near the center. That is considerably faster than the standard flight speed, yet not neck breaking. As I said, some of the *better" tools I'm guessing will still be nice to have. I know that I'm glad I have my Omi's flight tool, as well as all it's other great stuff.

Irene Muni wrote:

From what I see
, I'm not
the only one that
read
"Father
" instead of
"Feather
". Perrie, these
shocks
are not
good
at this hour of
the (european) morning
:D

My apologies to all those who read my OP with blurry eyes.

I did not mean to awaken you so rudely.

Call me sentimental or what you will but the Feather truly was a dear friend.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Your are not sentimentaL. From my rezz day on January 2007 I'm using the Feather. A Mentor gave me the feather. I don't remember his/her name, but I discovered the Mentor Program :)

Perrie Juran wrote:

When the feather was given to me i thot it was the coolest gift id been given yet in SL !! The feather opened up whole new realms in the sky to me .. I was so jazzed to have received it that i was Very grateful & nice to the guy who gave it to me .. Then my sister laughed & told me its a freebie & the guy who gave it to me just got the cheapest piece he'd ever had to buy in sl .. Oh well, i didnt care .. i still thot it was very cool ..

I asked once in this forum how come newbies arent told about the feather .. Why the avvie just doesnt come with one .. & was told that it was prolly cuz ppl didnt want flocks of newbies flying up & peering in the windows of skyhouses .. guess now they'll be able too .. w/out even having to wait to be let in on the 'secret' of the feather LoL

I'm still keeping mine too .. 5K m isnt all that high

Jeanne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.