highest hight possible in sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Racia Fiertze wrote:

stupid question, but my avatar loves to fly. and i was just wondering if, with a flight assist hud, how far if there is any limit is it possible to go in the air? if i keep flying, will i eventually hit sl space? lol

Although you can only build up to 4096m in height, you can fly up much further than that. I found out by accident when I chose to wore three parachutes at the same time just for the fun of it and I just kept going up up up.

And it can get pretty dark up there in deep space! (just be careful you don't get stuck there forever, or captured by aliens :matte-motes-tongue:)

A long time ago in a previous incarnation of these forums, someone reported on a journey to the far beyond. He put his avatar into a steady climb and left it there for some ungodly long time like a week.  I wish I could find that thread in the ancient archives, because I cannot remember the hieght he reached ultimately.  I do remember his comment, though, that the climb finally failed sponanteously when his avatar gradually faded and vanished.  He became one with the universe.

one of my tools says it can blast you a billion meters up..thier words on my notecard "yes thats right we said a billion meters" in the air..

i know i have been up so high that all these objects started to flood into my inventory..i'm not even sure what that was about..but i couldn't delete them fast enough..the higher i went the more that flooded it..

i tried to tp but couldn't even go home..

i also blasted a friend..she went so high up that it turned her avatar into a little sparkle..i could port her down..she was so freaked out that i wrecked her avatar..i have to say i was hopin gwhen she relogged that her avatar was there also..i thought .wow i sure hope i didn't wreck her..

she came back fine and a lot relieved LOL

I think rollover is max 32bit float.... so ~10e38.53 after which you start coming up from underneath the world...

for reference 1 light year is only ~10e16m... so it's far enough that you could reach the Sloan Great Wall (largest galactic super structure known), or make a few trips around the milkyway galaxy and throw in enough round trips to any particular star in it to run a courier service.

The weapons that used to knock you to billions of meters dont work anymore. LL broke them years ago. It was orginally called "blitz" but some weapon makers gave it some other name. Nowdays blitz give you a lil bump. But also lag the sim like hell. Dont use them. Get updated weapons.

Not sure if there is a limit. I've flown up to about 300,000 meters. It is dark up there, I started losing attachments and my Avatar started blinking and fading. Everything was flickering.

I've heard from other Residents who've claimed to have been 1 milllion + meters high.

It is rumored that if you fly high enough you will reach the secret Linden base. Upon your arrival one of three things may occur.

1. You will banned from SL for life.

2. You will be bestowed with honorary Lindenship.

3. You will be thrown into the great pixel recycler and your Avatar's life force will nourish the continuum.  

Awesome! I bet you are made an honorary Linden if you fly high enough *jokes* :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

I think I made it to 100,000 or something before.... leaving something resting on the fly button is a good method so you're not just sitting there bored.

Eventually all that is left is your avatar eyes if I remember right... or something weird like that.... everything gets deformed & glitchy up there

Using Phoenix cmdline options (because flying up is too boring) I tested to find out what is the highest number the counter at the top of the screen goes to & I could jump to 2,000,000,000 but any higher 10 digit number just shows that number and if you add another digit it changes to -2147483648 not sure what the relevance of that number is lol

However, if I jumped to 2,000,000,000 & then started to fly up, it starts counting higher again, so I guess you could get to 9,999,999,999 before you would run out of digits on the counter.

My avatar was inviisble eventually, apart from the voice dot, but some of the distortions that happen at different heights are hilarious, expecially when your arms go really stretched and look broken in about 4 places lolLMAO.gif

Wuss that I am, I only got up to 60,000m height and started to feel motion sick :matte-motes-sick:

Heaven only knows what you lot are going to look like when you come back down to earth, like you've been through G-force backwards no doubt!

And where is Racia???? Hopefully not lost in the ether.

When I first started SL someone gave me a jet to fly.  It had a 'turbo thrust" option.

When I used it I got a message "you have now left Linden air space" and next thing was logged out of SL.

I wonder if I still have that.  Need to log In and check.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

Using Phoenix cmdline options (because flying up is too boring) I tested to find out what is the highest number the counter at the top of the screen goes to & I could jump to 2,000,000,000 but any higher 10 digit number just shows that number and if you add another digit it changes to -2147483648 not sure what the relevance of that number is lol

However, if I jumped to 2,000,000,000 & then started to fly up, it starts counting higher again, so I guess you could get to 9,999,999,999 before you would run out of digits on the counter.

My avatar was inviisble eventually, apart from the voice dot, but some of the distortions that happen at different heights are hilarious, expecially when your arms go really stretched and look broken in about 4 places lol
LMAO.gif

the number significance is that phoenix was parsing the command line as a 32bit signed integer, but the height reported in the title bar probably uses a signed 64bit integer.

the reason that avs deform at that height is because of rounding errors in the position getting magnified by the distance from zero... eventually they'll get so bad that their positions aren't on screen (it's also why attachments tend to go first since there's an extra level of rounding errors being multiplied.

for those of you that think that ruins the fun I'd like to direct your attention here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.