Simple mesh pillow - 13 prims?

hellclad

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The default physics shape is the convex hull of the low LOD mesh. This can be quite expensive for a convex object where lots of the detail atays in the hull. You need to specify a simpler physics shape. The easiest way to do that here would be to select the lowest LOD instead, but a costom mesh wou;d be better (pics to follow, maybe).

However, your download weight is also too high, so reducing the physics only will just reduce the weight to that and no further, The real anwer then is that you have far too many polys in your high LOD cushion. Cut that right down, and you will solve both problems at once. There is no good reason a little cushion like this needs to have a LI more than 1 (or even more than 0.5 when it's part of a linkset).

• Like 1

Just a guess but you may have used the sub-surf modifier a little too much? You can simplify your pillow by removing edgeloops.

We can't see what SIZE your pillow is. Any chance it is five meters square or something like that. Easy to do if you aren't paying attention to size in your 3D program? That would make a big difference.

Since your pillow is cubelike and physics aren't going to matter much for a pillow anyway, you could use a simple cube as the physics model. That will get rid of the high physics number.

Taking out some of those edges will no doubt get the pillow down to a much better size. I agree 1LI should be the max for this.

• Like 1

In response - Size isn't an issue.

http://i.imgur.com/PgtSiDJ.jpg

It's only that small, poly count is reduced to 1600. Its not that big in Blender either. Will get a screenshot of that if I have to.

Also, I use Blender as stated above.

There's no resizing done, that's imported and dropped in.

Edit 2

Changing physics shape to a simple cube got the prim count / LI down to 2, but it should be one. Is 2 atleast acceptable?

I made this set of five pillows and applied various textures in world.  They each average about the same poly count as yours and come in at a L.I. of between 0.5 and 1.0.  You might try reducing the count on your lowest LOD to zero, since you're never going to be looking at a pillow from 100m away anyway.

Pillows_1.png

• Like 2

Rolig Loon wrote:

I made this set of five pillows and applied various textures in world.  They each average about the same poly count as yours and come in at a L.I. of between 0.5 and 1.0.  You might try reducing the count on your lowest LOD to zero, since you're never going to be looking at a pillow from 100m away anyway.

Pillows_1.png

Is your RL home that messy? Where the hell do people sit?

• 2 years later...

Drongle McMahon wrote:

Roligf's cishions make the point, but here is the picture I promised anyway; LOD & physics meshes; inworld with test texture and nice material (0.5m square); upload triangle counts.

Hello Drongle and other kind people,

I learned a method of making a pillow by using cloth collision to poof up a loop cut plane. I can get results which look like the first three LODs, although somehow with more triangles (approx 1300 for the high, 448 for the med, etc). But I cannot figure out how to achieve the set up used for the lowest. Removing that last set of loops very near the edge leads to strange distortions which are unusable in SL (some of the corners flatten out) and every way I've tried to duplicate the pictured lowest LoD from scratch leads to "Invalid region to join boundary faces" errors. What's going on with the distortions is a question I'm curious about, but right now the help I'd appreciate most is suggestions on how to achieve what Drongle has done here. I've completely run out of ideas on things to try.

This is all in the name of learning to make the best most efficient geometry for SL, so many thanks to all of the people whose archived posts have helped so much.

Oh wow. That is really cool. :) My object looks fine, just like yours, but the UV is messed up. It's less messed up when I don't check UVs than when I do.

Went to the beta grid and download is an unhappy 1.7.

Triangle and Vertice counts are 1246, 744; 448, 296; 168, 128; 42, 48, so I have managed to end up with a hunk of unneeded vertices. (One more example of how important the lowest LoD is for LI here, as was talked about earlier.)

I started with a plane, loop cut 15 vertically and horizontally, then extruded. I stopped my cloth collision animation a click after you did, I think; my pillow is a bit more indented at the sides and poofed up in the middle. But that doesn't change numbers, at least in blender. And since my numbers are higher than yours from the start, it seems my less efficient technique happened early and carried through all of the LoDs. I just can't figure out where.

Letting the mesh uploader generate a lowest LoD gets me a good LI, but the corners disappear when camming out. It's a small thing, I just want to learn best practice.

Thank you for your help. You and a couple others have had a hand in pretty much every mesh piece I've made, both directly and through your replies to others in the archives. It is very much appreciated. :)

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

Oh wow. That is really cool.
:)
My object looks fine, just like yours, but the UV is messed up. It's less messed up when I don't check UVs than when I do.

Went to the beta grid and download is an unhappy 1.7.

Triangle and Vertice counts are 1246, 744; 448, 296; 168, 128; 42, 48, so I have managed to end up with a hunk of unneeded vertices. (One more example of how important the lowest LoD is for LI here, as was talked about earlier.)

I started with a plane, loop cut 15 vertically and horizontally, then extruded. I stopped my cloth collision animation a click after you did, I think; my pillow is a bit more indented at the sides and poofed up in the middle. But that doesn't change numbers, at least in blender. And since my numbers are higher than yours from the start, it seems my less efficient technique happened early and carried through all of the LoDs. I just can't figure out where.

Letting the mesh uploader generate a lowest LoD gets me a good LI, but the corners disappear when camming out. It's a small thing, I just want to learn best practice.

Thank you for your help. You and a couple others have had a hand in pretty much every mesh piece I've made, both directly and through your replies to others in the archives. It is very much appreciated.
:)

Remove Doubles after merging vertices. 

• Like 1

Pamela Galli wrote:

[.... ]

Remove Doubles after merging vertices. 

Just to be sure that's clear .....

1. In Edit mode, select all (A)

2. Then W >>> Remove Doubles

If you're lucky, there shouldn't be any doubles if all you did was merge vertices, but it's always good to have that on your "Face Palm" checklist along with Display Backface Culling and Align Scale and Rotation. ;)

• Like 1

is A W >>> Remove Doubles the same as clicking on the box in the Tools window? I tried the latter method there and got a none to be removed notice.

Now that I know how to merge vertices, I was able to fabricate that lowest LoD setup from scratch and it has 20 tris, so I think we may have sorted this or at least gotten good enough for a pillow. Except that pillows have this way of wanting to add themselves to more complicated projects.

So do I head back into the time vortex that is beta grid so soon before bed or not....? ;)

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

is A W >>> Remove Doubles the same as clicking on the box in the Tools window? I tried the latter method there and got a none to be removed notice.
[ .... ]

Yup.  As I said, you shouldn't expect to have any double vertices if all you did was merge, but that's one of those "idiot mitten" things that you do before you save and export a project, just in case. The one time that you decide to take a shortcut and ignore your checklist of "Things That Can't Possibly Go Wrong", they will.  ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.