Nobody use viewer 3 - meshes doom

MaxTux Wonder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm going around with a mesh avie and on 100 people only 1 can see me.

Nobody use viewer 3, most of people use phoenix viewer.

Lindens, you have two choices, or you close the access to all the viewer 1 based, or you support the phoenix/firestorm development. (or other viewers)

It's about money, if we sell -> we rent a land. if we rent a land -> you get money.

You worked hard for the mesh development, but actually only few people can see meshes (most mesh builders lol).

I guess you are interested to the mesh incoming in SL, if so, make a choice. Becouse mesh is inworld but nobody see it.

Firestorm's full release is said to be no more than a week or two away, and it will support mesh.  Rosey's right.... newbies are using V3 because they don't know anything else is available.  (Of course, they don't see many mesh objects either, so it really doesn't make much difference right now.)  Sooner or later, LL will get some of the bugs out of V3, or a lot more people will be using Firestorm.  Either way, your mesh objects are probably not doomed.

Thing is will people use firestorm ? its v2 based and people seem to have trouble with it just like veiwer 3.0. .LL just need to  Man-up and kill v1 and  deal with what happens, we are on veiwer 3 all ready.Set a date and say all veiwers need to include all features current. Sl is becomeing like a bad patch job.

Firestorm is working fine, and it already has as many users as the current LL viewer. We'll see about the newly-released Firestorm Beta-Mesh.  It does have to deal with some of the bugs that LL built into its V3 server code, but the FS viewer itself seems stable. In the end, LL won't ever need to kil V1. Mesh isn't all that exciting, but there are enough other interesting features in the newer viewers that people will migrate to them without being forced.  Until then, V1 is the only option for SL residents with older computers that can't handle the higher demands of the V2/V3 codebase.

There are at least two V1 viewers which can render Mesh (No mesh upload). Cool VL Viewer v1.26.1 and Astra Viewer.

If those can render mesh, it would be cool the Phoenix team would implement it in the Phoenix viewer.

But I think it's just a matter of time. Mesh will become the ultimate building tool. That's out of question for me. People will switch to mesh viewers sooner or later.

I doubt that mesh will be THE building tool. Not everyone needs/wants or have the time for that and alot things still look pretty enough with the systemclothes or basic prims.

At one part i agree to the OP. Lindens should set a date where all viewers have to be at a certain level. We know how bad windows can be because carrying the old stuff with.

Monti

I agree, Monti.  I create an occasional sculpty when I need an organic shape, but 95% of the time I use basic, native prims to build with.  They're fast and easy to work with, and a sculpty is overkill most of the time.  I think the same thing is going to happen with mesh.  The mesh clothing I've seen so far -- and the pics I've seen posted in this forum -- is underwhelming.  IMO, mesh is a nice addition to the toolbox, but not the world-changing technology that it's hyped to be.  I'm in no great rush to start making mesh components, but when I do, I expect them to be a minor portion of my work. 

Well, knowing that a cube prim is 118 triangles in Hi LOD and a similar looking mesh cube is just 12 tris, I will hardly build anything based on prims anymore. Even more when I'm able to save prims with mesh over prims. Except for large organic shapes maybe, where sculpts still have advantage in prim counts. But to keep my place as renderfriendly as possible, I will probably use as many meshes as I can.

But that's another topic and not viewer related.

• Like 1

arton Rotaru wrote:

Well, knowing that a cube prim is 118 triangles in Hi LOD and a similar looking mesh cube is just 12 tris, I will hardly build anything based on prims anymore. Even more when I'm able to save prims with mesh over prims. Except for large organic shapes maybe, where sculpts still have advantage in prim counts. But to keep my place as renderfriendly as possible, I will probably use as many meshes as I can.

But that's another topic and not viewer related.

I'm with you Arton. As soon as around 50% of users are using a viewer that can render mesh, I'm going to rebuild my buildings in mesh, which will save prims.

I was a doggedly stubborn V2 user, and am now a V3 mesh-enabled user, so I am happy enough. :matte-motes-smile:

Mesh is here to stay, regardless of what people say about it. Sooner or later mesh-enabled TPVs will kick into gear, and mesh will be visible to the majority of residents. It's just a waiting game for now.

I'm just quietly building my little mesh inventory, having heaps of fun doing so, and when I feel ready, will consider offering it to other residents via the marketplace and inworld. If they sell, great.... if not, well, I'm having fun, so that's all that matters.

:matte-motes-smile:

• 1 month later...

I however still use viewer 1 and will continue to for as long as i can.. i gave V2 a try and it was horrible.. the interface is so darn small and way too many things on screeen.. the ease of viewer 1 .. its just simple.. YES i cant see any mesh.. i suppse oneday all of SL wil be invisible to me but i for one wont change ..:matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

I was a super stubborn V1 (Phoenix and Imprudence) user for quite a while till I finally gave FireFox a try.  Though beta I've had next to no problems with FireFox and everything I've seen in mesh is far better then their sculpty conterparts, the mesh loads far quicker and shows far less defects.  I'm not too worried about the numbers of people holding out against mesh enabled viewers, for every stubborn old fart like me who switches to a mesh enabled viewer there must be a ton of others that have already switched.  ;)

Brooke Portilo wrote:

.. the ease of viewer 1 .. its just simple.. YES i cant see any mesh.. i suppse oneday all of SL wil be invisible to me but i for one wont change ..:matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Once the SL invisible thing happens to you, please do post some photos for the rest of us to see how it looks. Thanks :smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:

Phoenix WILL have a mesh based version, you can read about it on their website. Last time I checked they will release a mesh enabled one and a non-mesh one for some reason. Also on the forum here I read it's a matter of weeks before they are done with it (They make it using the code from Henri Beauchamps who makes the mesh Coolviewer.

btw, you only need the full Firestorm or V3 if you want to upload mesh, you don't need it to see them.

Sorry for the lack of links...

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Phoenix WILL have a mesh based version, you can read about it on their website. Last time I checked they will release a mesh enabled one and a non-mesh one for some reason.

The reason why they will do mesh enabled version and non-mesh enabled version of Phoenix is that some people still  have antiquated computers having only SSE capability. Mesh code requires SSE2 enabled computer. Computers having only SSE cannot run mesh enabled viewer. Thus anybody using those ancient computers cannot see mesh.

Click this link to see more info about SSE2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

"SSE2, Streaming SIMD Extensions 2, is one of the Intel SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) processor supplementary instruction sets first introduced by Intel with the initial version of the Pentium 4 in 2001."

As SSE2 was first introduced in 2001 it clearly shows how outdated the computers having only SSE are.

(Please folks, no complaints about "but I cannot afford to upgrade yet". Thank you. It leads nowhere but to useless arguments. Usable computer lifetime is rather limited, especially in graphics intensive 3D programs. It's an unfortunate fact but nothing can be done about it.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.