Online status

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to check if a friend is online if they've checked there offline staus so as not tobe seen in friends list> I was thinking that there may be some script which will show them still online. I checked in their group but it only shows  when they were last online. Thanks :)

There are scripts and scripted items that allow that...not sure of their legality.  One of the things Phoenix/Firestorm was required to remove from their viewers per LL was the "True Online Status" feature.  LL stated that was an invasion of privacy.

That being said, there really is no way to totally "hide" in SL, short of creating an alt AV and telling NO ONE the name.  The easiest way to legally find out if someone is online is if you are in a group with that person; groups will show a person online even if the person has show online off.  Although, recently I have noticed an issue of "ghosting" in groups - a person will truly be offline but shows online in groups for hours.  Not sure how prevalent that is.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Hm? As far as I know you can't hide that you are online towards your friends (as long as you are not online with an alt). A person will always show up as online unless there is some bug going on.

I checked this out awhile back out of curiosity:  If you uncheck the ability to see if you are online to specific people on your friends list AND uncheck "Only my friends and groups can see when I'm online" in Preferences -> Communication, the unchecked friends will see you as offline in their friends group and when they pull up your profile.  Checked this out with an alt and both had to be done to appear offline to friends.

garey Solo wrote:

It doesnt show if theyre currently online in a group. Only that they were online that day

I see people showing online in every group I've been in.  It does also show the last time a person logged on. 

ETA: Just went online to double check.  Could be a viewer thing, but I don't think so.

if a group shows when they were last online ..then they are offline..if they are online the group will show online..

if you are in the same group.

as far as scripts and things to find out if your friends are online..

really..if they want to be seen as offline..it's kind of respectful to let them be seen how they want..

garey Solo wrote:

Is it possible to check if a friend is online if they've checked there offline staus so as not tobe seen in friends list> I was thinking that there may be some script which will show them still online. I checked in their group but it only shows  when they were last online. Thanks
:)

LL removed the ability to find out if someone is online using a script by breaking the script calls that are needed.  It is now illegal to use any device to by pass this privacy feature and why TPV's that had the feature built in were forced to remove it.

If this friend wants you to know that they are online they wouldn't have checked the 'show offline' for you.  My question to you is why can't you respect their wish for privacy?  Why do you feel you have a right to be nosey and violate it this way?  Sounds like you are stalking them to me.

garey Solo wrote:

It doesnt show if theyre currently online in a group. Only that they were online that day

That means they are currently offline.  If they are online the group status will report "Online" with no date-stamp.  If there is no-one in that group listed as online, it means that you are the only member of the group that is currently online.

It is impossible to hide your online status from other members of groups you belong to, even if you are invisible to friends and everyone else.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

LL removed the ability to find out if someone is online using a script by breaking the script calls that are needed.  It is now illegal to use any device to by pass this privacy feature and why TPV's that had the feature built in were forced to remove it.

Not quite.   LL forbade TPVs to include this functionality.   They also said they were going to investigate ways of restricting llRequestAgentData(id,DATA_ONLINE) to prevent its abuse, but, after many complaints about the number of perfectly legitmate uses there are for this function, and the amount of perfectly legimate content that restricting it would break, that's gone on the back burner.

While the question of whether or not you should use this function must depend on who you're using it on and why you're using it, LL certainly has no objection to people using it in scripts.   You just can't release a viewer that purports to show "true online status".

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

i believe a calling card will always show true online status.

That too, which is why the whole "not online" thing is kind of a moot issue, imo.

Just got done retesting functionality.

Calling cards do not reveal true online status when marked offline.

Groups (the members list) still does.  Even when the highest privacy settings are all enabled.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Calling cards do
not
reveal true online status when marked offline.

Groups (the members list) still does.  Even when the highest privacy settings are all enabled.

I guess that when Linden Lab prohibited the feature "Show true online status" in TPV viewers, they did not examine things well enough beforehand. If the did they would have known that enabling hiding true online status would break many things.

Now we are stuck with have baked feature. :smileyindifferent:

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Calling cards do
not

I guess that when Linden Lab prohibited the feature "Show true online status" in TPV viewers, they did not examine things well enough beforehand. If the did they would have known that enabling hiding true online status would break many things.

The LSL call works the same as it always did.  So do the various online indicators in the Official Viewer (which I think were borked by some change LL made in the first year or so -- before my time, anyway).   

All that's happened is that Phoenix inherited a feature from Emerald, "Show true online status" (which i don't think any other TPV adopted).   As a result of protests, LL eventually banned TPVs from using that.   They said, at the time, they'd look into ways of altering the way llRequestAgentData(id,DATA_ONLINE), but the problem is that vast majority of scripted uses for the DATA_ONLINE are completely legitimate, and changing it would break so much stuff.

If people are interested, the whole matter was argued at length in https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-4823  

I don't think anything has changed over the last 18 months or so.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Calling cards do
not

The LSL call works the same as it always did.  So do the various online indicators in the Official Viewer (which I think were borked by some change LL made in the first year or so -- before my time, anyway).   

All that's happened is that Phoenix inherited a feature from Emerald, "Show true online status" (which i don't think any other TPV adopted).   As a result of protests, LL eventually banned TPVs from using that.   They said, at the time, they'd look into ways of altering the way llRequestAgentData(id,DATA_ONLINE), but the problem is that vast majority of scripted uses for the DATA_ONLINE are completely legitimate, and changing it would break so much stuff.

If people are interested, the whole matter was argued at length in 

It just about been a non or dead issue for a long time.  But I sure do remember when it was the hot button topic.

Until LL fixes the one quirk in Groups and the one on the Dashboard's Friends List, if someone wants to know your true status, they can and will find out.  So any other action by LL would be moot until those are resolved.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Calling cards do
not

If people are interested, the whole matter was argued at length in 

It just about been a non or dead issue for a long time.  But I sure do remember when it was the hot button topic.

Until LL fixes the one quirk in Groups and the one on the Dashboard's Friends List, if someone wants to know your true status, they can and will find out.  So any other action by LL would be moot until those are resolved.

i really wish they would at least just add online status options for those on each of those areas on the users end and be done with it..

something would be better than what they have now..

if it's a problem having them all trigger from one place then give as many triggeres as there are places..

i can't see that being too hard to do at all..

i just really think they either don't want to do it or just don't think it's a big a deal as some people that use their service do..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.