All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Interesting, from this I realized that the Mobile development may in fact be something LL plans to sell for others to use, also!
  3. What they sell or keep is an exercise in portfolio management. I'm sure they sold Tilia at the very peak of its potential value as a semi-standalone Linden subsidiary, and sold it to somebody who can take it beyond that peak by integrating it with other products and services they offer. That will apply to Second Life, too: if it gets to be more valuable sold than kept, it'll become somebody else's asset to manage as part of that new owner's portfolio. At the moment it's pretty difficult (for me) to tell if the substantial investments they're making in Second Life is to gussy it up for sale or to maintain and expand its ongoing earnings potential. Either way, if the virtual reality metaverse weren't in a stagnant backwater of the hype cycle, they'd target (re-)development of that instead of mobile and industry-compatible content creation (glTF, viewer-side LUA, …). But a new owner, with other related products, would have different development priorities. So if you don't like mobile, pray SL sells to… oh, why not? Salesforce! (One minor point: There is zero chance they'll retire debt they took on a few years ago. They may redirect that capital in arbitrary ways, but they could make a profit just buying T-bills with those old loans.)
  4. Forget one major point: EU laws aren't laws, they are guidlines and adaptable by each member of the union. EU rules on the other hand are the law and are the same in each territory of the EU. I know, it confuses most of the people in the EU. So, in your case, if a hinge broke of because you opened or closed your laptop under normal use and you lived in my country (even if you bought that laptop in an other member of the union), it will become harder for the manufacturor to deny you a repair under warranty for mishandling the device due to the fact that the manual was missing and that we expect that the descent lifetime of minimum 2 years under normal use. First rule as costumer in my country is still: RTFM, and if the manual is missing, return the product back to the retailer and demand one, so that manufactorers can't claim that you have mishandled your the product.
  5. Ultima Online launched in 1997.... 27 ish years ago, give or take a couple of months. It's by no means what I would consider a commercial bonanza or cash cow. Yet it It's still got active development and must make enough to pay for it's underlying infrastructure (rent, servers, electric, comms, salaries, etc) to justify it's continue presence in the world of Online Entertainment. Not wholly apples to oranges, but a realistic take is that so long as Second Life has enough income to balance the sheets and then some for a modest profit to.... whomever, it's going to stick around. Ultima has been sold a couple of times I think, and the current owners being Broadsword Online Games who gives it enough love and attention to keep the heartbeat alive. So, will Second Life ultimately get sold? It's a possibility to be sure. That's just a cold reality. But the real kickers is is that we as residents really don't know what the balance sheets for Linden Lab are in regards this IP nor what projects they are piggy backing off of Second LIfe. For example, they are developing a new voice service to bring that tech in house and using Second Life as the test bed for it. That project may end up getting packaged up and sold to other interested parties down the line. So while for the residents Second Life is an online social platform, for Linden Lab, it that and maybe a little or a lot more. Whatever their plans are, keeping it as a test bed, keeping as just a virtual social space, or selling it off to a third party, so long as it's paying it's way and making someone money somewhere, I really don't see it going away for a long time. But then, I'm ever an optimist. I prefer to not live in a world of perpetual shadows.
  6. Yep, hinges and blown input mosfets/diodes are 99% of laptop repair. Sometimes people completely fry them by not replacing their power adapters soon enough when they get frayed and then shooting 19v up a sense pin too. Everything else usually just works, very rare to see failures outside of these.
  7. it totally depends on who buys it. My vote is for Elon Musk. 😁 Selling Sansar totally worked out for Sansar, right? ..right..?
  8. I've followed one particular refrigerator "restorer" on TikTok, who also showed that not only are the really old models "indestructible" (still work with minor repairs), that are MORE efficient (cheaper to run) than new models. I find this confusing, and figure it must be due to using bigger (more expensive) compressors, better (heavier) insulation/shielding, etc. If I find and dig into their page, I'm sure I will find the answers. Anyway, I thought about getting a vintage model a few years ago and bought 3 "dorm" models instead - fridge, freezer, and a second smaller fridge *for "meats" for the dogs). I trashed my "new fridge" so make space in my kitchen. They run quietly at the opposite end of the house, so I no longer hear kitchen fridge noises from my bedroom.
  9. it totally depends on who buys it. My vote is for Elon Musk. 😁
  10. wanna “play” Second Life less seriously? Then take a line from my profile: ”I’ll accept everything that you tell me, but at the same time, I won’t believe a word of what you say” That is all, carry on 😂
  11. When I recently had my laptop in the shop, the owner mentioned that a large portion of his business is repairing hinges on laptops. He made the same comment as the OP. Use 2 hands, one holding the base in the center and the other opening the top from the center. Just like most anything made, things are pretty much designed to fail. Why is it that there are still refrigerators from the 60s working while we've had to buy 2 in less than 20 years?
  12. I was going to suggest, that one way to "play less seriously" is to create an avatar intentionally "bland" or "unattractive" (by some standards). That way, some people may see you as either "fun" or "trolling" (it's on them, not you), and your focus won't be on something "serious" like making your avatar look a certain way. Instead, you may find yourself focusing on exploring, doing other things, and you'll learn a lot about people from how they treat you.
  13. LOL - yeah - what's wrong with that? Seriously though... it entirely depends what aspects of SL you enjoy most. For me, it's mostly about the visuals. A big, high-pixel screen and long draw distance, all graphics sliders ramped up to the max, is what I'm after in SL. My £1500 HP mini, the latest available, can't run SL worth a dime for what I want.
  14. Unfortunately a lot of people in sl have bought into the idea that having a nice avi somehow makes them amazing and they get quite snooty about who they talk to. Don't take it personally. It's hilarious when you think about what's probably behind the avatar.
  15. Well then, if you are correct, "selling it off" means it should still "exist" after the sale, right? That's good news!
  16. Today
  17. Based on what I've learned of the owners, they are going to want to sell I think. But there is little value in a dry cow and I think they will attempt to sell the platform sooner rather than later, before it becomes an udder failure.
  1. Load more activity