Are you using Pinterest yet?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh no not another social network sort of nonsense thing...

Well yes, exactly that.

But I like it.

It is more about sharing pictures and links and less about all the facebook messages, games, blabla, etc.

Anyway, not trying to sell it or looking for a discussion on how good or bad or boring it is.

Just wondering if you're using it.

If you do, share your url!

Here is me;

http://pinterest.com/1920sberlin/

Jo Yardley wrote:

Just wondering if you're using it.

In theory, I have a Pintrest from their beta, but I've never much used it. Too much social media already, and was concerned a bit about the way they handle copyright.

But you bring up an interesting notion: using Pintrest to post images indicative of your area's "theme" to provide inspiration.

Technically the copyrights issues are the same with pinterest as they are with facebook, except pinterest gets a little more interest at the moment because people are worried about it.

Websites can ban pinterest from using their pictures (you can even do this with flickr).

But in the end, you are mostly posting pictures that are links, click them and you go to the original site.

So it is more directing people in stead of stealing images.

Generally, as with everything you do on the internet; don't use someone elses pictures if you're not sure they allow it.

The responsibility is with the person posting.

Either way, for Second Life it is perfect.

No "you need to be a real person" nonsense like we see with the other social network sites and it is more about images and links then all the other stuff.

Yes, you simply 'pin' a url to one of your boards and pinterest takes it over from there.

It works perfectly with flickr, your or other people their accounts.

But you can pretty much pin anything.

That is all it is, a pinboard with stuff you want to share.

I didn't expect to like it as much as I do so all I can say is; it is worth giving a try.

I don't mind to use twitter or facebook to get to pinterest, mainly because those accounts are all about SL, not my RL stuff.

Anyway, I did not know you couldn't join without those, sorry.

A friend of mine joined twitter, joined pinterest and then deleted his twitter account.

Worked for him.

Damn. I put up a pic of one of my houses and in 5 min had a bunch of pins.  Apparently ppl who pin house pics don't care if they are real or virtual. 

I am thinking Pinterest could be an excellent way to introduce a lot of people to Second Life.

Yes I wouldn't suggest you upload anything you make yourself that you want to have any rights to later.

But as long as you don't do that, or just share links (I don't upload images, just link to my flickr photos), there isn't much they can do with it.

It is generally a good idea to not upload any handmade artwork you don't want to share with anyone on the internet unless it is totally baked in with copyrights and so on.

• 3 years later...

I have just created my first Pinterest Board. There is a contest for new ideas in a group I belong to. How do I either import my Pinterest board into my SL inventory and/ or send it to the person in SL who is judge for idea contest.

I've already gone through several video tutorials and none I've seen covers this.  Many thanks(and maybe because I've worked in a university library for decades, I make my searches too complicated out of habit!)

Lune Shadow(thomasine.guisse)

Im NOT but I do look at others sometimes. The reason Im not is limited time getting around the places I do have. Flickr is good enough for me to post/keep photos of places Ive been and also find urls others have been...though Im not so good at posting them on my photos. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.