Whats smart an what aint

PserenDikity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It really gets my goat when I see people who pretend to have some brains.  What are some of your favorite wannabe smarty pants sayings?  I like "It's 'It's' not 'its'."  Why are so many people obsessed with grahammar?  I mean, I like them for pie crusts.   My mama always said "People who want to look smart use more words."  My experience taught me they talk a lot louder two! 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's "who" there, not "whom." :matte-motes-wink:

To be honest, I can be a little bit of a grammar freak. Incorrect grammar CAN actually make a sentence difficult to read or understand when there's a lot of incorrect grammar in the sentence. Am I always right? No. Do I understand that some people are either not native English speakers, or simply are not that great at grammar? Yes. I often bite my tongue (and sit on my hands) to keep from pointing out incorrect grammar in the forums. But you're right, it's really not THAT important in many cases. Certainly not important enough to call someone out for and make them feel bad. (Although in the context of this thread, doing so is more joking that serious.)

Edited because my fingers go faster than my brain sometimes...

Unlike French or Spanish, English has a descriptive not a proscriptive grammar. There's no English language academy in London or somewhere dictating what comprises 'correct' vs 'incorrect' grammar. What's correct is what conveys meaning. Being proscriptive, English is free to evolve. French & Spanish evolve too, it's just that English evolves more rapidly & naturally withouta bunchuv conservative grammar Nazis trying to prevent or control linguistic evolution.

Jeanne

BabyStormC wrote:

Okay my gramma ain't that hot two. But I cans get der drift of whats sad when I looks hard. You can get just as lost with the big words when no bodys understands them as you cans witd the small ones in da wrong place.

The ideal is da KISS thingy.

What do you want too kiss?

JeanneAnne wrote:

Unlike French or Spanish, English has a descriptive not a proscriptive grammar. There's no English language academy in London or somewhere dictating what comprises 'correct' vs 'incorrect' grammar. What's correct is what conveys meaning. Being proscriptive, English is free to evolve. French & Spanish evolve too, it's just that English evolves more rapidly & naturally withouta bunchuv conservative grammar Nazis trying to prevent or control linguistic evolution.

Jeanne

If I need a proscriptive grammer I go to my physician.

There is no way I'm letting a lay person insert medical things in my nether regions

Back to the topic oh here is one,

(I am assuming you meant to say "they're" rather than "there"  which is incorrect and will provide miscommunication. So your dumb cause I pointed that out.)

Now I figure if you knew what it was suppose to mean then why are you commenting at all, obviously no miscommunication. Just a smart ass'd comment based in one upmanship attempting to seek superiority by making those around them look less in status...

"(I am assuming you meant to say "they're" rather than "there"  which is incorrect and will provide miscommunication. So your dumb cause I pointed that out.)"

Ther = there, their & they're.. Meaning is coveyed via context.

"Now I figure if you knew what it was suppose to mean then why are you commenting at all, obviously no miscommunication. Just a smart ass'd comment based in one upmanship attempting to seek superiority by making those around them look less in status..."

Well... yeah! but that's just what people do ...

Jeanne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.