Rodvik Shares 2011 Highlights & His 2012 Outlook

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went looking lastnight into the official linden lab KB and it's still showing that users outside of the U.S. can't use pay pal..it's in a few spots..

i'm wondering what they use now? is it just like visa's and banks now..

let me see if i can find these links hehehehe i'm just curious if this is up to date..

this is what i find when i look it up. there is one more place that mentions it but i can't remember the search term for that one lol

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Local_Payments_FAQ

This page was last modified on 14 June 2011, at 16:11.

What payment methods are available?

Residents in the US will continue to have the same payment methods available as they have had historically. For Residents outside the US, the local payments system provides the following payment methods:
Credit cards:

VISA
    MasterCard
    Diners
    JCB

Debit cards:

Maestro (Switch)
    Visa Electron
    Solo
    Laser
    Pre-paid Italian cards

Online bank transfers:

POLi *
    Online Instant Banking
    Sofortuberweisung
    iDeal
    P24 (Prezelawy)
    e-Konto
    Abaqoos
    Swedbank

eWallets:

Click & Buy
    eWire
    Moneta
    Electronic Check (InstaDebit)
    Moneybookers

Other:

Citadel (eCheck)
    Ukash (prepaid card)

It's out of date in one regard, the beta is finished, people on local payments should have received an email similar to this:

"Dear Ciaran

This email contains important information that affects your Second Life account and requires action in order to continue any payment transactions with Second Life.

Due to the conclusion of the Second Life local payments beta program, it is required that you add a new credit card or PayPal account by going to your billing information page on Secondlife.com.

Best Wishes,

Linden Lab and the Second Life Team"

Ciaran Laval wrote:

It's out of date in one regard, the beta is finished, people on local payments should have received an email similar to this:

"
Dear Ciaran

This email contains important information that affects your Second Life account and requires action in order to continue any payment transactions with Second Life.

Due to the conclusion of the Second Life local payments beta program, it is required that you add a new credit card or PayPal account by going to your billing information page on Secondlife.com.

Best Wishes,

Linden Lab and the Second Life Team"

oh so maybe they can use pay pal now..

ya they really need to update their KB..they should update itas they make the changes..there is nothing worse than that kind of stuff building up and causing confusion..lol

One of the recent converts to THE Cult was involved with the LL product development team until he recently saw the light and decided he was better off making a commitment to a community which believed in each other, one in which the goals were transparent and SMART, and one which believed in truth, not truespeak.

He, or was it a she, suggested that these novel products were in the design process:

• an electronic car, available in any color you like as long as it is grey; it moves at 20mph and doesn't work on Thursday evenings
  • an automated help-line service, which repeats the message that it works fine in our office and perhaps you should clear your cache, upgrade your computer, or ask someone in the forums, if they haven't left the building
  • a textual comprehension aid for the semi-literate, which automatically deletes all words with more than two syllables, inserts typos and mis-spellings at random throughout the remainder of the text and sends preformatted responses saying "Grammar Nazi! Language is a living thing. Throw away your dictionaries now!"
  • a HomeScout Personal Body attachment, which allows an individual to simultaneously change a diaper, stir the grits, watch reruns of Oprah and answer the phone using standard phrases such as "I don't have the authority to do that", "Reinstall! Reinstall! Reinstall!" and "Thank you for participating. Pease read the Community Guidelines before your ban ends in 2013"

There were other potential products considered but rejected as being insufficiently innovative, being such mundane things as a reliable product delivery mechanism, development tools that produced products that don't make you look topless with a tire around your waist, and a facility to categorise your friends.

Our recent recruit is now relaxing in a darkened room, and will be allowed out when he stops muttering "games means gains".

Father "the future is so bright that you have to wear shades - to remain incognito" Jim

Jo Yardley wrote:

I'm outside the USA and I've been using paypal since I joined, about 3 years ago.

I don't have (or want) a credit card.

ya i think if you never changed your payment info that it would still work fine..but that was when they were having problems with it..

i'm wondering if new users from outside of the U.S. could go right to it and it still work for them..that or people that change from something  and then use pay pal..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Ann Otoole wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

All I read is:

... recently launched 
, the Lab's first-ever game prototype
 this will make the polished creation of full MMORPG’s or people/animal simulators within Second Life easier and of high quality.

For those LL deems should have such privs.

i didn't see that part in there..where was it that they said only the select may have this?

Here's the quote from Rodvik's message;

“we will be releasing new tools used to develop Linden Realms, which will allow Residents to create even richer original experiences in Second Life.  To prevent abuse of these tools, we will introduce a “creators” program in which verified members will be given access to these very powerful capabilities.”

Thanks for posting this Keli, I believe we should be able to respond to Rodvik’s post, so this is a wonderful way of being able to do that.

I agree with Prokofy, “It stratifies the world further, and creates an even more remote and privileged dev class that gets special access and tools.”

I have zero interest in Linden Realms or in SL as a game.

Basically, I’ve seen LL take SL farther away from the world I love and want it to be, but it’s their baby and they get to make the choices. 

Doesn’t seem to me that they are listening all that much to residents about what we want.  The Forums are filled with complaints, and the jira with long unfixed issues, while LL moves along a path to create new things.

If they don't want to just slide further into commercial irrelevance, I don't see that the Lindens have much choice but to move beyond the already saturated market of virtual world artists.

Indeed, if they manage to make SL a thriving platform from which to launch gaming experiences, it will provide opportunities for all but the most stuck-up and stuck-in-the-mud "artistes" -- of which, admittedly, SL has more than a few.

Even those who don't fully subscribe to the "game as art form" premise surely recognize in games the more traditional graphic art forms (not to mention music--which may itself be too restrictive a term for the art of interactive installation sound).

"In 2012, the primary engineering focus of Q1 will be server side performance and fixing bugs." from Rodvik's post.

There are loads of jiras on things that haven't been fixed, some for years.  The new search hasn't worked since its inception, the hard work of creators is still being stolen and sold by those who have no right to it, just to mention a couple of things that need attention.

So I hope in this, that they do choose to listen to users, and that there are a few people assigned to really take a look at the jiras going back a few years.

one of the things is that when LL doesnt fix the thing that we want them to fix bc its the thing we want/need for them to fix the most for us then can seem like they not doing anything

they do fix things tho. everytime new server and new viewer then is a heap of fixed things

like the biggest fix has been v3 from v2. was monsta complaints about v2 so they done that. it not perfect for everyone, but v3 is way better than v2. even if i personally would like to have sidebar back bc i liked that way. it ok tho that it not and i can live without it

has also been lots of small fixes as well. like boaties are really happy now that when random person clicks on their yatch then it keeps going now and not stop like it used to. thats a good fix.

even fixing tiny things that they broke just bc. like Sun \ Region Settings menu item. is back now. should never have be taken out, but they fix and put back. so thats good as well

parcel visibility also pretty good as well. that not a fix. is new feature but is one i like. the new fast ways to change properties of hair a good fix. and so on so on

search a killer biggie still. mostly bc it return dif results for same search string sometimes. that inconsistent. so makes hard to use when search is a large part of ur own requirement. marketplace delivery suxs for me at moment as well. so is not all peaches and cream on sl yet. prob never will be for everyone everytime tho, same like any other program

i think they got the blend mix right at the moment. is some new features been coming out as well but like i say already is heaps of fixes been done in last year and ll going to stay on that path for 2012 seems like. so overall i am quite happy about where we going  

Eio Tuqiri wrote:

"In 2012, the primary engineering focus of Q1 will be server side performance and fixing bugs." from Rodvik's post.

There are loads of jiras on things that haven't been fixed, some for years.  The new search hasn't worked since its inception, the hard work of creators is still being stolen and sold by those who have no right to it, just to mention a couple of things that need attention.

What Rod said may be new to him whilst he's been at LL, but it's not new for LL to make such a statement. So I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for everything to get fixed. It's never happened before, and it won;t happen in the future. Sure, they'll deal with a few things - they are always dealing with a few things.

A big problem, of course, is that users and LL don't always agree on what needs to be fixed, so there will always be major things to users that don't get fixed because LL doesn't see them as being all that important. And the views of users/customers have never been of interest to LL unless, by pure chance, they coincide, in which case LL does it and claims to have listened to the users.

what i like to know is about the developers program.  at one time, it was going to have client and server.  the server never happened of course. the client is too much specific for one version and locked in. we have a snowstorm which look like v3. there is nothing new in snowstorm that you dont get from v3. the script language still is LSL and if there is c#, i cant find it. what about animations? 

as far as realms goes, what does that mean for developers?  is that part of the server side npcs and pathfinding or some other part. i went to one part of realms and got lost.

some of the stuff for meshes is good, but not enough.  i get more by listening in to the meshes volunteers like how to have double box so you cant see the transparencies.

and sandboxes.  they should have more than a few hours limit. some of this stuff take some time to develop.  a standalone sandbox for $99 wouild be ok for me especially if you can transferred you work. or even $299 if it was a megaregion.

The rendering speed of Singularity, the fantastic ease of use of Imprudence's interface and  mesh code = a viewer worth having. The viewer 3 interface sucks real bad and sticking "lipstick on a pig" doesn't help especially if you are a newbie and don't even KNOW what you want and  where etc. If the interface was genuinely USER FRIENDLY from the outset it wouldn't need all the extra tweaking tools!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Keli for giving us a space to comment. Shame on Rod for not doing so, but that LL's way of doing things.

A few things stood out to me:

I kind of like the "game within SL" approach. You can do everything else in SL, why not be able to play immersive games? Besides, SL is a platform, not a game itself. If this helps make people understand that, that'd be awesome to me.

Thats about the only good thing, though.

The creators program - yet another way LL is stroking the egos of certain users who call themselves "advanced" or "power" users, while leaving new users without the tools that put them on a level playing field. What a joke.

The 16 (yes, SIXTEEN) percent adoption rate of Mesh - Rod BRAGGED about this number. Seriously. I couldn't make this up. Read it again.

About the bug fixes, Rod says, and I quote: "this makes for a poor headline". No Rod, it does not. The bug fixes that are not out yet, or that didn't work, do however.

"For landowners, existing land tier pricing will not go up in 2012" - A nice way of telling us a price decrease is nowhere in sight. Thanks for nothing. Less really is more. Slash the prices and you'll figure that out.

Pathfinding: might be cool, but then so were the sim tours and hot air balloon rides ive been on for years.

SLAddict Allen wrote:

About the bug fixes, Rod says, and I quote: "this makes for a poor headline". No Rod, it does not. The bug fixes that are not out yet, or that didn't work, do however.

Good point SLAddict.  When I read that line I remember thinking, a poor headline in whose estimation?  Because I've been hearing SL residents complaining on the Forums and jira for a long time about Linden Lab adding new features when there are still so many bugs to be fixed.

"
One of the key goals of Linden Realms was to learn more about what tools Residents could use to develop richer experiences in Second Life — and boy, did we learn a lot! In Q1 2012 , we will be releasing new tools used to develop Linden Realms, which will allow Residents to create even richer original experiences in Second Life.
To prevent abuse of these tools, we will introduce a "creators" program in which verified members will be given access to these very powerful capabilities
"

This is the part that worries me. Cutting off casual creators.

Gadget Portal wrote:

"
One of the key goals of Linden Realms was to learn more about what tools Residents could use to develop richer experiences in Second Life — and boy, did we learn a lot! In Q1 2012 , we will be releasing new tools used to develop Linden Realms, which will allow Residents to create even richer original experiences in Second Life.
To prevent abuse of these tools, we will introduce a "creators" program in which verified members will be given access to these very powerful capabilities
"

This is the part that worries me. Cutting off casual creators.

I don't see it that way. If the new capabilites were simply additional features for building objects, e.g. in the Edit box, then I would agree with you. But, as far as I can tell, they are completely different, and could be used buy idiot kiddies to mess other people about. If that's the case, LL has three choices - (1) make it so that everyone can use them, (2) don't let anyone use them, and (3) be nice and let users use them but control who, so that idiots can't use them against other people. I prefer the third of those.

For instance, if we didn't have flexiprims, and a new capability was flexiprims, then I would agree. It's just a building feature that everyone should be able to make use of, and I would be against it being restricted to some people but not others. But the new stuff was described as "powerful", which I take to mean something quite different to a mere building feature like flexiprims.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.