Ooo they gave me a boat!

Eloise Baily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tini Jewell wrote:the real point is that LL should be concerned about giving out something that others can't or don't already provide - why compete with your own customer base?

That's what I always think of (since I am a merchant) -- what about all the boat merchants who are selling something similar?  Ouch.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pamela Galli wrote:

Tini Jewell wrote:the real point is that LL should be concerned about giving out something that others can't or don't already provide - why compete with your own customer base?

That's what I always think of (since I am a merchant) -- what about all the boat merchants who are selling something similar?  Ouch.

What about all the Vampire wannabes they just recruited; it's pretty hard to sail at night.  Isn't it?  

Storm Clarence wrote:

What about all the Vampire wannabes they just recruited; it's pretty hard to sail at night.  Isn't it?  

It's perfectly easy to sail at night Storm. I'm sure you know that.

I have no idea why you're singling out vampires. I mean, Vikings can't sail it because it isn't a longboat, aliens from zooss can't because it doesn't havce a nitrogen hull, Goreans can't because it's not entirely made of slaves...I could go on.

But hey, what's a no complaint op without complaints huh? ;)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

God i wanna freakin parrot now too!!! for my boat YO!!!

Animania sells parrots. I've got one sitting on the railing of my house boat.

They have shoulder birds too. But not sure if the parrot can be a shoulder bird. Nonetheless - the maker of them knows how to make parrots and knows how to make shoulder birds that can fly away and return. So asking him/her to put the two together would not be too much of a stretch if not already available.
:)

oh i am getting one for sure now!! =) thank you for the tip =)

Pamela Galli wrote:

That's my point: The boat is nice enough to sail and wet the appetite for those who might be interested in that kind of thing. But there are WAY better freebie sailboats out there. The point? Most people don't even know about these free boats. The professionally made boats in SL on the other hand are in an entirely different league than the little (nice) premium gift.

The only merchants this might hurt is merchants who try to pass off cheaply made freebie-scripted boats for big bucks. Quality products will always sell, as long as people know they're there.

How many people know about the many, many small romantic islands on LL water sims? How many people know that there's lots of underwater scenery to explore? Ever seen the sim(s) where someone pulled the drain and water swirls down? The sunken submarine? The mer army recruitment center? No? Well, let me show you what's all available in linden waters... things most residents (premium or not) will never see.

Underwater Landscaping_001.jpg

Some of the typical underwater stuff

Water Drain_001.jpg

One of a few water drains. Near some of them there's drain plugs on the ocean floor..

Shipwreck_001.jpg

One of many shipwrecks littered over the ocean floors. There's sunken submarines, frigates, buoys, anchors, chests, junk of all sorts...

Mer-Corps Recruitment Center_001.jpg

Th mer corps recruitment center... apparently they really really don't like humans.

Mer-Corps Recruitment Center_002.jpg

It seems they, too, have problems with griefers. Not sure what the blurb about the steampunk community is about though... :)

Mermaid Tomb_001.jpg

The entrance to one of many mer places. In this case, it's a mer tomb. Some entrances are quite well hidden though and not easy to find unless you know what you're looking for.

Lone Island_001.jpg

Then of course there's a number of small little islands scattered all throughout. The ones dotting Blake Sea are often not very private. If you look around other bodies of water you can usually find quiet private hangouts. As far as I can tell most do not have rez enabled. Some few do.

That's just a little taste of what's out there. I'd take a bet that even most of the sailors in SL do not know about the underwater scenery that's in place in many, many sims. Since water in most sims is only about 20m deep it's easy to explore.

SL is fairly diverse. The oldbies probably know that. The newbies don't. So, a freebie boat, halfway well made and easy to use can certainly get them interested in more sophisticated products.

Well said Jenni.

I'd never even visited the Blake Sea before I got my boat.

I bought a hat, a blouse, a scarf and a parrot (all from other creators) and I went exploring and found a whole new area of SL.

I read a quote once that said, "Those people who are bored are boring". I'm beginning to see where they came from.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Oh come on Pamela. You know as well as I do that anyone charging for a boat as good as the Lindens are giving out is ripping us off. There are SO many better boats out there. 

Has your shop died because of freebies or Linden gifts? No, so I don't see your point.

What  I see is an easy introduction into sailing. Anyone who REALLY likes it will want a better boat. That person may have not ever even noticed his new hobby without that Linden freebie kickstart.

The sky is NOT falling. It never has been and I've never seen LL do anything other than kickstart a stagnant economy.

That's cool. There is an underwater art community near my home in Mormo, on the Heterocera Atoll (mainland, for those who don't know). 

Once, I went exploring the underwaters surrounding one of the premium sandbox sites, there are fish that will try to eat you, lots of vegetation and sometimes weird patterns of random persons all staring in the same direction.

very nice places to check out..thank you  for showing them =)

i never really sailed before until now..i may go and get a cooler boat..the short sail i did have was a lot of fun..=)

and to sail in places like what you have shown ..that only makes me want to try it even more =0 thank you =)

Eloise Baily wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

It's perfectly easy to sail at night Storm. I'm sure you know that.

I have no idea why you're singling out vampires. I mean, Vikings can't sail it because it isn't a longboat, aliens from zooss can't because it doesn't havce a nitrogen hull, Goreans can't because it's not entirely made of slaves...I could go on.

But hey, what's a no complaint op without complaints huh?
;)

I lol'ed.

Tini Jewell wrote:

nothing was said about holding back anyone or anything...but would it be that difficult for LL to provide a non-mesh version or similar gift for those who don't wish to or can't use a mesh-enabled viewer?  if the 'world as we know it' will soon be mesh all over, yeah, i probably will delete my account 

Personally I don't think mesh is being brought about in an ideal manner - with all the problems it has with clothing and body shapes (but go visit Bare Rose and try out the 'christmass wrapping' mesh bikini - resizable on individual sides, not just stretching, and not scripted, so I was able to make it perfectly match my shape)...

I'm also highly concerned that it will knock amatuer makers out of the 'market'...

But Mesh pretty much is the future around here.

Even older machines can run it.

Some points about sailing in SL.

- No, the LL gift will not harm the market. Most SL sailors want better stuff and are prepared to pay for well-built and well-scripted boats.

- The LL gift boat isn't very well made and powered by a rather crude script. In the SL sailing community we're looking to make SL a real saling simulation, not just something that looks cute. We use "real" wind to power our boats, we're recreating real physical sailing. We are using our boats for quite long cruises and explorations, and for racing on a quite high level as well. Did you know there are ranking lists and even world cup events being held in SL?

- As recent tests have shown mesh isn't reallly the next big thing. Not for vehicles. At least not in the way as implemented by LL. The weight of most mesh builds is disconcerningly high, even higher than with sculptie builds, more in the region of oldschool prim builds. A friend showed my a mesh hull she just made; just the basic hull, no rig, no cockpit, no instruments, nothing. As a sculptie it would've been exactly 1 prim. Her mesh hull weighs in at the prim equivalent of 11 :smileysurprised: As you might now the prim limit for rideable vehicles is 32, so wasting 11 already on the hull is disheartening when there is stilll so much more to add to the boat to make it a real sailer.

- Yes, the gift boat will hopefully get more residents interested in the world of boating. And once they are clued up a little and had their negative experiences (sinking, flying, crashing at sim borders, getting tossed over board, getting stuck in melasse water, getting stuck in  banlines, hitting full parcels, hitting no script parcels etc) and are still interested, they will toss that LL boat into the garbage and get something better.

- With more questions, for a list of sailing resource centers, freebie boats, commercial boatwrights, sailing schools, yacht clubs, rezz zones, websites, blogs and so on please contact me inworld.

And please DON'T ask me about powerboats! They are just too boring.

This boat is like the sampler they give you in a coffee shop. Its get people interested. But then once interested. And once aware that there actually is water in SL that can be used for something other than a backdrop for your tiki-house... people will start shopping.

SL sailing community is very vigorous and active. Witness the post above me. Unfortunately they're a little too geeked out (again witness the post above me - kinda so hardcore that its intimidating to join). But there's a scene out there - but it could be larger, and maybe things like this boat can help bridge that gap.

Orca Flotta wrote:

- As recent tests have shown mesh isn't reallly the next big thing. Not for vehicles. At least not in the way as implemented by LL. The weight of most mesh builds is disconcerningly high, even higher than with sculptie builds, more in the region of oldschool prim builds. A friend showed my a mesh hull she just made; just the basic hull, no rig, no cockpit, no instruments, nothing. As a sculptie it would've been exactly 1 prim. Her mesh hull weighs in at the prim equivalent of 11 :smileysurprised: As you might now the prim limit for rideable vehicles is 32, so wasting 11 already on the hull is disheartening when there is stilll so much more to add to the boat to make it a real sailer.

A few corrections: You can build and ride vehicles with way more than 32 prims. If one would be nuts enough you can very well build a physical vehicle with 256 prims. All that matters for a vehicle is the physics weight, that has to stay at or below 64 (or 63, forgot). Look at the Linden boat. It weighs in at a land impact of 62.

Usually the mesh vs. sculpts debate brings up so much misinformation and outright FUD, it's not even funny. No comment from me on 11 land impact (PE) just for a common boat hull. I'll leave that to the handful of builders who actually know how to build mesh properly.

1 – I like the boat.
2 – I wish I could tweak the scripts.
3 – I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it, but plan on trying it more.
4 – It won't harm boat makers – that's silly.  (It's nice but, no, they didn't GOM the boating industry, LOL)
5 – It won't be offered in non-mesh form – that's silly. (Linden Lab “recently” rolled out mesh so, no, they're not going to cater to those who can't/won't use a mesh viewer)

SL sailing community is very vigorous and active. Witness the post above me. Unfortunately they're a little too geeked out (again witness the post above me - kinda so hardcore that its intimidating to join). But there's a scene out there - but it could be larger, and maybe things like this boat can help bridge that gap.

Oh, please believe me, I'm one of the most ungeeky sailors, I don't build and I can'r script neither. As you see in another answer it was stated that I wasn't correct in my assumptions. Of course I know you can use up to 256 prims for a vehicle, if you wear part of it. But who wants to carry around so many prims? In 2007 I used to sail bald to save on prims. Fortunately the servercode became better over the years and it's not the prims killing us anymore. Nowadays it's the impact of scripts.

And most sailors are like me. We just wanna have our races and care about sailing, not about SL technicalities. But after you crashed for the umpteenth time during a race or cruise you begin to wonder and start asking questions. And then slowly you clue up and you find out why you are crashing. And then you try to avoid the crashy situations. I think that's just normal human behaviour and far from hardcore geekyness. This is SL, a virtual world, where you need to be a litle bit of a nerd in the first place if you wanna survive. So to a certain point we're all geeks in here.

Yeah I saw a bunch of starships a few months back (ended up with a lot of land and was window shopping ideas for a build) advertising that they could move - and had several hundred prims - and I was just sitting there thinking to myself: Ok... that's going to be a nightmare when something crashes and my prims get scattered all over half of Bay City a heights ranging from 0 to 4000... o.O

I'm in several of the SL sailing groups now, but I never quite know where to 'start' with everyone. It always seems like there's a race and I'm still at 'how do I get this thing to move again?' :D

Orca Flotta wrote:

Oh, please believe me, I'm one of the most ungeeky sailors, I don't build and I can'r script neither. As you see in another answer it was stated that I wasn't correct in my assumptions. Of course I know you can use up to 256 prims for a vehicle, if you wear part of it. But who wants to carry around so many prims? In 2007 I used to sail bald to save on prims. Fortunately the servercode became better over the years and it's not the prims killing us anymore. Nowadays it's the impact of scripts.

And most sailors are like me. We just wanna have our races and care about sailing, not about SL technicalities. But after you crashed for the umpteenth time during a race or cruise you begin to wonder and start asking questions. And then slowly you clue up and you find out why you are crashing
And then you try to avoid the crashy situations. I think that's just normal human behaviour and far from hardcore geekyness. This is SL, a virtual world, where you need to be a litle bit of a nerd in the first place if you wanna survive. So to a certain point we're all geeks in here.

Not _wearing_... just a regular sit vehicle :) If you want I'll send you one that's >64 prims and still a regular sit vehicle. You're right though, it's fairly impractical for anything but boats. You'd run into more full-parcel issues with any high prim boat.

I just wish sim crossings would be more stable... anything fast is almost impossible to use without crashing after a few sim crossings. Though with my own boat I do occasionally cross 100+ sims without going poof. Rare but happens. Banlines and prims blocking public waterways are the worst.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

I just wish sim crossings would be more stable... anything fast is almost impossible to use without crashing after a few sim crossings. Though with my own boat I do occasionally cross 100+ sims without going poof. Rare but happens. Banlines and prims blocking public waterways are the worst.

I really truly would love to know how you manage it!!!!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.