Should I AR this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got a notecard from someone thanking me for a purchase and telling me that one of the items I bought was faulty and she was sending me a replacement. Now I was confused because I have never purchased the item she's talking about, or anything else from her. (I'm new and the only things I have bought so far is skin and hair, and she was talking about shoes).  So I logged in and there's an inventory offer for her, but it's not a pair of shoes, it's a junkmail notecard advertising her stuff.

Is this something that ought to be AR'd, or should I just delete the notecard and forget about it?

A couple of unsolicited notecards isn't that big a deal. The AR system has a large enough backlog without adding to it with these kinds of minor issues. If it keeps up contact the sender and ask to be removed from their spam list. If it persists then, think about filing an AR.

Well First, I would check and make sure the creator is a legit shop owner in Second Life, for example they are a known developer because sometimes Griefers like to give out stolen content claiming to be shop owners, even using Display names to fool people.

Second, I would contact them in Second Life by NoteCard, or IM and let them know you never purchased the product but got an update from them, as this could concern you for a couple of reasons, as 1. A person could have griefed in your name, or done something in your name, or 3. Your account could have been compromised while that is rare I would always look into everything just to be safe.

Third, Maybe you bought a Freebie somewhere, or a content pack with her as creations sometimes we make mistakes or forget about purchases we make in SL it happens I mean I have an inventory filled full of hundreds/thousands of items lots of purchaes, mods I have made to modifyable items etc so I forget often except for those developers that are very well known. So in other words it could be a script in your item offering you a free update such as an update checker.

Four, When you stop by some stores in SL even if you don't subscribe sometimes you will find yourself getting advertisements from their automated Kiosks, these work by logging your avatar name/avatar key then sending out an item each month or whenever they choose to your avatar, and if you find it a problem the first thing I would do is contact them and see about removing your name, or going to their store and removing yourself from their Kiosk usually there is a way, another option of course is to mute, and if that doesn't work abuse report but really I don't find these to be common issues or have any problem with getting updates from some content developers because hey I like to know about new products I may like like recently I was randomly contacted by a random content creator I never knew about some stuff, but hadn't been to a simualtor since 09 a person I dont like much really for things they have done but anyways he was advertising so I paid for some of his products because they were kinda nice.

1. When an object sends you an item it tells you where the object is located in world on your local chat, it will also tell you if it sends you a green message as well so you can simply go there and know what store sent it to you usually.

Five, Most issues are resolved simply by talking to them there really isn't any need to AR unless it is some serious griefing going on, and you can simply erase the notecard if you like but if it is an automated kiosk from a store you visited then you might have to unsubscribe from it by going there and clicking it or something even if you didn't subscribe. Think of it as going to your local grocery store and hearing them advertise their products there I consider it the same really and not that big of a deal unless it gets really spammy which none of the places I have been to spam me with stuff usually a monthly thing they send out or every couple of weeks which isn't bad.

RoderickVaughn wrote:

I got a notecard from someone thanking me for a purchase and telling me that one of the items I bought was faulty and she was sending me a replacement. Now I was confused because I have never purchased the item she's talking about, or anything else from her. (I'm new and the only things I have bought so far is skin and hair, and she was talking about shoes).  So I logged in and there's an inventory offer for her, but it's not a pair of shoes, it's a junkmail notecard advertising her stuff.

Is this something that ought to be AR'd, or should I just delete the notecard and forget about it?

Yes.

AR that.

Unsolicited spam is a violation of the TOS, and in the USA, a violation of federal law (can-spam act - which also limits many routes of prosecution against violations...).

People who spam need to be gone after.

Not only is it very poor marketing, its annoying and deceptive...

So AR away.

Personally I would AR it because I detest junk mail of any form,but then again I am probably a bit less patient about it than most people.  You might want to wait and see if she obliges with her request to take you off the mailing list, and then AR her if you get any more.

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

A couple of unsolicited notecards isn't that big a deal. The AR system has a large enough backlog without adding to it with these kinds of minor issues. If it keeps up contact the sender and ask to be removed from their spam list. If it persists then, think about filing an AR.

I would love to see stats from LL.  My guess would be there is more back log from 'non-issues,' for example, inter-resident disputes and people who thrive on self-righteous indignation than from these 'minor issues.'

i would say if it is really a big enough deal to where you feel it is something that really needs to be Ar'd..then by all means Ar it..

if it is something to Ar just because you can Ar it and not really that big of a deal..well thats really up to you..

myself i just block those things and the creator..

because i don't feel i want to waste any more time than i have to on them after they use something so cheap as those kind of tactics..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.