Delayed and failed deliveries during the early hours...

Sybil Hallison

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

The Magic Box scripts haven't been updated for years, and certainly not since the creation of SLM.

You'd need LSL coders for that.

Uhmmm I didnt think we could play around with the LL Magicbox Script.  LSL coder or not, playing around with how the magicbox sends a "product has been delivered for order # xxx" would not be possible or I assume allowed.

PS... I am not one of those "Smarter than the average Merchant LL SCRIPTERS" so even if tampering with the magicbox code were possible I surely would not be tinkering with this.

I don't always see failures either, but I do see delays like Zanara documented every night. With that said, IMO any delivery that takes more than a few minutes is inherently a failure.

We've demonstrated that the delivery slowdowns are related to a server lag issue on LL's end. It's not a fault of the Magic Boxes; they're sitting there idle waiting for commands for SLM. The Sims are not lagged, many first-person observations of their own magic boxes during the slowdown proves this.

So we are receiving Direct Delivery as a solution to an overtasked server computer.

/me scratches head ...

Well, it's not the MOST expensive Server Upgrade I've ever seen, but it's damn close.

(Pssst ... not to feed Josh or anything, but what you wanna bet they delay llTransferInventory() until after DD is released. If they released llTransferInventory that worked like the new validated transfer money function, there would be no reason not to design a new Magic Box .. in about 2 days. And THAT would spell the end of DD altogether.)

Josh? You didn't read this. These are not the Conspiracy Theories you're looking for. Now .. move along ... 

*wink*

Agreed .. or they've got the time slice on that machine set WAY wrong. ROFL!

But no matter what is consuming the machine, whether it be a rude greedy task with bad table manners or a coalition of smaller but equally greedy sub-tasks ... that computer is overtasked and needs to be load balanced better.

If it turns out to be a DBMS Maintenance issue .. OMFG!! (beats forehead on nearest tape drive ... )

Darrius Gothly wrote:

I don't always see failures either, but I do see delays like Zanara documented every night. With that said, IMO any delivery that takes more than a few minutes is inherently a failure.

We've demonstrated that the delivery slowdowns are related to a server lag issue on LL's end. It's not a fault of the Magic Boxes; they're sitting there idle waiting for commands for SLM. The Sims are not lagged, many first-person observations of their own magic boxes during the slowdown proves this.

So we are receiving Direct Delivery as a solution to an overtasked server computer.

/me scratches head ...

Well, it's not the MOST expensive Server Upgrade I've ever seen, but it's damn close.

LOL Darrius.... you posted exactly what was in my head !

So this set of testing from Zanara and others make it very clear the "ALL EVIL" Magicboxes are not so evil and are moreso the Scapegoats of delivery delays / failures that are being caused by LL servers.

And since LL could not perform their own diagnostic set of tests on the root cause to these long standing delivery complaints, they decide instead to develop a high priced, LL resource intensive, and very likely Merchant disruptive DD solution.

All they had to do was upgrade a server or change a backend system process.

And if it is a Server / backend process problem, DD will likely be impacted by the same resource constraints.

That is the LL that we know and love !

Chances are that LL wanted to play and experiment with DD and just used the delivery failures complaints as the excuse to PLAY.   This is not the first time LL Commerce has devised a crazy development solution and blamed its need on a problem they promoted....  Remember the FREEBIES / CLUTTER REDUCTION TAXES and the system that was gonna be developed around that before they realized themselves it was technically impossible to build with XSTREET (what we all told them on day 1)?

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

/me scratches head ...

LOL Darrius.... you posted exactly what was in my head !

So this set of testing from Zanara and others make it very clear the "ALL EVIL" Magicboxes are not so evil and are moreso the Scapegoats of delivery delays / failures that are being caused by LL servers.

Oh Darrius - you went and woke the other one up - now we'll never get them down...

Toy - I don't think everyone thought the MBs in themselves were a problem - they weren't the thing that changed. MBs still have the same problems (as I mentioned) that they had back in SLX days (and pretty much the same scripts ;p).. But yes the slm "team" from the days of the Great Migration liked to blame a bit on them and it's escalated from there.

Where it all went pear-shaped was the attempt the merge them with spree - shopping cart, convoluted communication procedures, and why a delivery system that required less back and forth would fit with the current website better... Perhaps since enough time was being wasted elsewhere?

Software discussion? Google is your friend :)

Was originally hoping for a re-write to be a fully integrated system, products being locked to an object. Something centralized like a web based system using Capabilities.

Writing a shopping cart on top of that from scratch would have been more trivial and products could have been used/displayed anywhere ... in the viewer, external websites and basically be able to be mashed up with other SL stuff.

Indicates that part of the problem is approaching design piecemeal as opposed to global integrated product.

Scaling those product/CAPs servers would have been easier in the long run, besides the benefits.

Maybe Direct Delivery will get one side of that done once that's in place and the Spree shopping cart can go in favor of a more custom solution that's a proper part of the whole SL system.

"They need to move the midnight chores OFF that machine and put them on one of the empty Sim servers they have .. unless they aren't powerful enough to handle the job." Well, clearly they aren't :) They aren't powerful enough to handle a typical region now! I can't find any hard documentation on the hardware used, but the class 5 servers (which my sim was on when I bought it) were old AMD dual CPU dual core boxes with 4G ram and a SATA drive. I've read some articles that suggest that sims are now virtualized on much beefier boxes but many more to a physical server and thus performance is even worse than it used to be. But as I said, no hard facts on this. I would love to know. For the amount of money I'm spending on my full region, I could rent a fairly high-end server in a datacenter. with lots of bandwidth.

>not to feed Josh or anything 

Actually, I've finally realized that my only problem, ever, has been just not trusting everybody enough.

Now I'm quite confident that Direct Delivery will mesh-enlarge my br3a5ts and p3n1s, and finally allow me to help Prince Kako get his inheritance out that deposit box on the Nigeria sim.

Bumping this.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-4260

Well established now that deliveries between midnight and 5am are consistantly delayed every morning as in the following data collection:

Order number / Purchase / Deliver / Paid (Conf email) / Total

1284395735 09:10 pm / 09:11 pm / 09:11 pm / Total = 1 minute
1284397710 10:04 pm / 10:05 pm / 10:05 pm / Total = 1 minute
1284399661 11:04 pm / 11:05 pm / 11:06 pm / Total = 2 minutes
1284401622 12:13 am / 12:24 am / 12:28 am / Total = 15 minutes
1284403905 01:46 am / 02:24 am / 02:49 am / Total = 63 minutes
1284403566 02:24 am / 03:02 am / 03:28 am / Total = 64 minutes
1284405308 02:42 am / 03:28 am / 03:45 am / Total = 63 minutes
1284407032 03:47 am / 04:44 am / 04:50 am / Total = 63 minutes
1284408679 04:43 am / 05:02 am / 05:15 am / Total = 32 minutes
1284410120 05:30 am / 05:31 am / 05:31 am / Total = 1 minute
1284411290 06:04 am / 06:05 am / 06:05 am / Total = 1 minute

Please vote/watch on this jira and add any comments/data you can (voting in iteself doesn't count much any more)

To get your own data on delays, check the difference between the time on the SLM order history (under reports >orders)...

November 16, 2011 02:24 am PST 1284403566
ArtiZan Friends List Export - Order Item ID: 44721389
SKU: Az-F1
Buyer name 190 Delivered 10 0 180

and your payment from the SL transaction records (or confirmation email):

11/16/2011 03:28:02 f7f31380 Source: Commerce Linden
MKT2 Item Sale 
Description: Order #1284403566, Item #392904 (Buyer name) 
  L$180

Sorry, had to shout the change of subject.  It might be early hours US but this impacts the European morning, every single day which means it impacts the further East during their afternoon peak shopping times and ever further East during their evenings.

Not really acceptable is it MP staff?

I get failed deliveries at night  but everytime its a failure its cus the customer has used the rusty broken  3 wheeled SHOPPING cart its always multiple items and always always when they have used this stupid piece of junk shopping cart that lindens know is broken knows that second life scripting speeds cannot handle this fast of deliveries at one time..........please stop delaying our shopping and round file the damn shopping cart!!..everytime i have had a failure its cus they used shopping cart...when i am shopping myself its always delayed delivery after midnight ,,before that its usualy fast (i always use the buy now button) one item at a time

• 5 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.