SL Survival Tips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Gifts.pngShare a gift with a Noob, you never know how or when it’ll pay you back.  You could think of it as SL Survival Insurance, especially if that Noob becomes fantastically wealthy or turns out to be cleverly skilled (may even be tax deductible if you save receipts). 

Hopefully you have a fond memory of how it felt when you got that wonderful outfit, first L$10’s, or some wacky bit of furniture or fun toy from a stranger.  Happiness from gifts is contagious.

Enjoy some generosity ;)

Lanas

Something it took me almost 5 years here to learn (& I'm still sometimes fooled):

Realize that most SL "big news" is usually just a bunch of meaningless nonsense -- mostly its stories began by trolls, scaremongers, crazies, & people with their own agendas -- so there is quite often little/no bearing to reality. Wild rumors & hearsay propagate like crazy here for some reason!

While seeing crowds of people freaking out, running this way & that, see that there is rarely any real reason to worry about things here.

Most of all, relax & enjoy your little corner of Second Life :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

WADE1 Jya wrote:

Most of all, relax & enjoy your little corner of Second Life :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

That's how I get through RL. It's a matter of scale. I'm just a squirrel trying to stash away a few nuts. I've got no control over who owns the park. That's the province of politicians, city officials, state bureaucrats and gods. 

@Lanas, noobs are like puppies. They let you see the world for the first time again.

@Void, the same is true for land in rl. It's yours so long as you pay the property taxes or until the city wants it for some public improvement.

@Madelaine, when you look at the sky, ask yourself if the sheep has eaten the flower? And you will see how everything changes.

@Charo,  you believe your life will be as long as it lasts? My goal is to live until I die. :matte-motes-smile:

Randall Ahren wrote:

If you get caught in someone else's home using their adult furniture, shift control h teleports you home.

@Charo: Cry at least once a week. Not because you're sad, but because the world is so beautiful and life is so short.

That almost gave me my weekly cry. Its a beautiful thing to get cleanly away after defiling someone elses furniture.

ETA @ the troll hater, why? Why do you hate trolls so much? Did one stop you from crossing an important bridge?  Or eat a pet of yours?  Stretch out your favorite shirt perhaps? I'm sure if any of those things happened, the poor troll was as upset about the whole ordeal as you were, and getting angry at it wouldnt have helped matters in the least! Trolls like honey as much as anyone else does, so the next time you see one eating your beloved puppy, I would try offering it some sweets instead. You might be suprised at how lovable trolls can end up being without the indigestion all that puppy fur can cause.

Cryptic OP. Are you going Randall or is SL? Either way don't leave us. Come back Shane.

My survival kit additions:

Never send a friendship invitation to someone you just met.

Never accept a friendship invitation from someone you just met.

Never buy Lindens outside the official website.

Rez a translator on your land.

Help anyone who needs it whenever you possibly can.

Stop the help if they become demanding, greedy, or rude.

Emotions are not virtual. If you can offer something of beauty or inspiration to another avatar, do it.

Melita Magic wrote:

Come back Shane

Strange, that's sounds like what my friend called out to me as I was being hauled off in a straight-jacket. Except I think he said come back sane. 

I did not mean to suggest I was leaving. Pre-announcements of that type are not my style as I frequently change my mind and it saves much embarrassment should I decide to return after announcing that I was leaving. If I was going to leave, I would probably just slip a sentence into my profile about being on walk-about with a promise to return should I discover the meaning of life or get really bored.

On the subject of boredom, I suspect it is the leading cause of death among residents. When they run out of things to do that interests them, they start forgetting to login until one day they disappear forever.

@Stella, the standard is danger to yourself or others. They couldn't show that so they had to let me go.

Here's my addition:

• Boredom kills. If you don't want to die, get some friends. They'll keep you alive. Fill out your profile as a conversation starter. Write something interesting. Lie if you have too. Put a photo in it for free by uploading it at https://my.secondlife.com/

Lindal,  you're right.  BTW, I very much enjoy reading your blog. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.