What do you love about autumn?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Six Igaly wrote:

What i do love most of autumn..ehrm..ummuh..let me think..mmm..what was it again...maybe i can't remember since it is nothing but this

bui.jpg

for weeks now. Note that the image above is sparkling green and blue which is not the case for real!

Awwww, Six...I sympathize with you :(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pamela Galli wrote:

I love fall, but it's hard to even remember what the fall is like when it's 107.  I remember there is some other feeling besides "oven blast" but can't recall what it was like.

Looking forward to the cold snap we will get on Thurs when it will only be 98. Wheeeee!

The weather broke here the last few days, low 70's...blissful, but today forcasted to be 90 and for the two days after that, 95 :(

Being practically a native Floridian, I don't have much actual experience with autumn except for four years that I spent on a picturesque New England college campus. But my whole life, I've had this crazy sort of romanticized view of autumn with foliage, apple orchards, cider, cinnamon, hot chocolate, warm colors, cozy sweaters, friends gathered 'round the fireplace, and crisp tempartures that turn your cheeks rosy.

Maybe it's because I have a fall birthday, but the idea of fall has always appealed to me, and it's always felt like the season that most "fit" my personality. Autumn feels like a time for reflection, perhaps because of shortening days, and trees shedding their leaves, and people beginning to spend more time indoors as the temperature drops; more of a family time, and a time for deeper conversations with friends and loved ones. The thought of fall, or at least the idealized version of fall that exists in my head, always makes me feel invigorated and introspective at the same time.

Quinn Morani wrote:

Being practically a native Floridian, I don't have much
actual
experience with autumn except for four years that I spent on a picturesque New England college campus. But my whole life, I've had this crazy sort of romanticized view of autumn with foliage, apple orchards, cider, cinnamon, hot chocolate, warm colors, cozy sweaters, friends gathered 'round the fireplace, and crisp tempartures that turn your cheeks rosy.

Maybe it's because I have a fall birthday, but the
idea
of fall has always appealed to me, and it's always felt like the season that most "fit" my personality. Autumn feels like a time for reflection, perhaps because of shortening days, and trees shedding their leaves, and people beginning to spend more time indoors as the temperature drops; more of a family time, and a time for deeper conversations with friends and loved ones. The thought of fall, or at least the idealized version of fall that exists in my head, always makes me feel invigorated and introspective at the same time.

Quinn...that was the main factor in my having moved from Florida back home.  I missed the change of seasons :(  Well, that and the bugs of course...:matte-motes-agape:

Void Singer wrote:

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

[...] If all you have around the house is crisp bread, pickled cucumbers [...]

that depends.... I could easily kill a whole jar or two of dill pickles at a time if I let myself... lol

Oh, Void...do you drink the juice too? :matte-motes-frown:

Quinn Morani wrote:

Being practically a native Floridian, I don't have much
actual
experience with autumn except for four years that I spent on a picturesque New England college campus. But my whole life, I've had this crazy sort of romanticized view of autumn with foliage, apple orchards, cider, cinnamon, hot chocolate, warm colors, cozy sweaters, friends gathered 'round the fireplace, and crisp tempartures that turn your cheeks rosy.

Maybe it's because I have a fall birthday, but the
idea
of fall has always appealed to me, and it's always felt like the season that most "fit" my personality. Autumn feels like a time for reflection, perhaps because of shortening days, and trees shedding their leaves, and people beginning to spend more time indoors as the temperature drops; more of a family time, and a time for deeper conversations with friends and loved ones. The thought of fall, or at least the idealized version of fall that exists in my head, always makes me feel invigorated and introspective at the same time.

Your idyllic autumn was my actual childhood. I'll still pick apples, have my own cider press and a jar full of cinnamon sticks always ready for either cider or hot chocolate. I'll carve pumpkins, but no longer for the local contest, I've won enough "Wisconsin Native Fishes" posters for a lifetime. I'll set out my spooky eyeball lights on the paths through my woods, split and stack wood for the fireplace, chase after the squirrels who are busy digging up my mulch to bury nuts and bury myself in the piles of maple leaves I drag across the lawn on a 20x20 foot tarp.

I'll crawl around my home's foundation with an old compact mirror in my hand, looking for gaps between the siding and the foundation, hoping once again to discover how the mice get into my attic to quietly unwrap christmas presents like I did long ago. I won't figure it out and so will set a dozen peanut butter laden traps to welcome them in from the approaching cold.

Autumn is a magical time, but not for everyone.

/me goes off to introspect.

... only in small amounts? =X

oddly I really don't like "bread and butter" sweet pickles at all.... they look appealing righ up till I take a bite.... I grew up with dills so I think it's a reaction to expectation not being what I wanted... like reaching into a fridge at midnight, pouring a glass of milk in the dark and taking a swig only to realize you poured OJ instead....

1. The colors... I simply adore the oranges, reds and purples.

2. The whether... living in New Orleans is hell with the heat and humidity.  Fall means a tiny bit of relief... yay!!!

3. As Void said... Halloween... my favorite holiday.  I'm having a party this year and I expect everyone to attend... it is written... lol.

New Orleans' weather is all about fronts... the first front that comes in cool (well cooler anyway) and dry will send me into heaven and leave me wishing that my life will be forever autumn...

...Dres

I am a big fan of autumn probably because I am born in october. I love rainy days if I am at home. It is so cool to be in a  warm place and listen to the raindrops and rain on the window. I always feel this times like they are mystic and pretty much "north german" where I am from.

Those days when all peoples cry "damn rain damn weather" I scream "I loveeeee it" and peoples do not understand.

I also like to take my umbrella and go outside if its rainy. Peoples cant understand but I love it. I like to nose the fresh air and the wet grass.. the wet plants and maybe streets. I just like it.

I always feel like a child on these days.. and I guess peoples just think "Look at her.. she´s singing in the rain!! Crazy?".

No I am not. Again.. I am born in october.. and those weather always show me how wonderful life can be.

When it is summer and peoples feel great... then I feel mad if its to hot.. I feel like they would feel if its rainy for them.. just mad.

Maybe peoples think it is strange. But why should everyone love summer? I love autumn :)

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Hi Dres, didn't realize y'all had a change of seasons down there.

Looks like you're in for a bit of nasty weather soon...stay safe
:)

Oh we don't, but at least we get a cold front in every now and then that will cool us off a little for a few days.

Nasty weather?... pfft.  After having gone through Katrina, this will be like a little drizzle shower.  I doubt we'll even lose power for this one *knocks on wood*, but I do appreciate your concern.

...Dres

Okay, so I'm gonna change my skybox back into autumn attire, but what I really need is a place where I can take a decent pic with an autumn atmosphere... does anyone know of one?

To give you a reference, here's the pic I took for spring...

Flower_Feast.png

So, what I'm looking for is something comparable in autumn colors (this was a place inworld, that I played around with in PS... that is what I intend to do once again).

Thanks in advance ...Dres

Eloise Baily wrote:

The end of wasps. I love that bit.

LOL, Eloise, I agree with you.  Don't know the cycle of bees/wasps, but wonder if there are good or bad years for them?  Last year was horrible, this year I hardly noticed any around the house or nesting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.