Did it Mesh You Up?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keli Kyrie wrote:

This is what it looks like to a person on Firestorm.

Mesh_001.jpg

Sadly, mesh enthusiasts are doomed to be seen like this by the vast majority of the SL population for months (if not years) to come, because LL refuse to develop a usable alternative interface for viewer 2.

PS: This mesh dress...

MeshK_001.jpg

...sure is pretty, but the fit not so much. It looks a bit like a maternity dress that you haven't grown into yet :) Not to mention the "one cup size fits all" aspect that will force many SL femmes to adjust their shape. If this is the best possible fit for mesh dresses, I'll happily stick with my old, skin-tight bodypaint + flex prim dresses.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

.... because LL refuse to develop a usable alternative interface for viewer 2.

I'd like to point out 2 things :

- 3rd Party viewers are implementing mesh capabilities into their respective viewers too and are hopefully released soon.

- One shouldn't discard the implementation of mesh over percieved issues with the UI.

I went and got that dress behind you, I love it, it feels more like real clothing as opposed to just an illusion ( I know its not real real )

Until the non mesh viewers are eradicated, I probably wont wear it much, but for photography and machinima it will be killer.

Mesh1.jpgMesh2.jpg

I can't wait for mesh hair and mesh avatars, this is what everyone has been waiting for, even those that think they will hate it, right? Don't we all want more realistic avatars? Less jagged edges? The ability to be a small insect or fairy or a large werewolf or dragon without all the prims? btw 64 prims are out too :)

Is this dress available in a smaller cupsize as well? It looks like my avatar would drown in it........

That's my biggest problem with mesh clothing, I'ld like to keep my own size. The jeans look ok, but what happens if your legs are shorter or longer? 

I don't want to change into a "standard" avatar, I love the way people can create their own special shape and size :(

It is only the first (now second) day that mesh has been made available to the grid at large, I am sure creators will make every option imaginable available. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but uniqueness and individuality is definitely of great concern among those who don't want to get lost in the crowd. Do you remember system shoes? I don't, I have known prim heels all my life, but I think once upon a time they were new too, so don't worry, it will happen.

WilhiamMeshTest wrote:

- 3rd Party viewers are implementing mesh capabilities into their respective viewers too and are hopefully released soon.  

I wish. As far as I know, there are no plans to backport mesh from Snowstorm to viewer 1-based third party clients, and I doubt that this is even possible. I've tried to get used to Firestorm, but it has too many flaws of viewer 2 and isn't anything like Phoenix. I've also tried Kirsten's and other v2 viewers, but none of them works for me.

If Phoenix users are supposed to use mesh, we need a mesh viewer with the Phoenix UI, or alternatively LL's v1.2 interface. It should be easy enough to implement as an option. Unless viewer 2 is an out-house development (it sure has the look and feel of third party software developed by a company that never bothered to use SL), which would be the worst decision in the history of SL.

Anita61 Anatine wrote:

Is this dress available in a smaller cupsize as well? It looks like my avatar would drown in it........

That's my biggest problem with mesh clothing, I'ld like to keep my own size. The jeans look ok, but what happens if your legs are shorter or longer? 

I don't want to change into a "standard" avatar, I love the way people can create their own special shape and size
:(

Mesh clothing will adjust to the height of your avatar skeleton. But other than that, you have to adjust your shape to fit into it afaik.

Hi, Venus.

From what I understand, there wont be mesh skins per se, but there will be mesh shapes and therefore skins probably to go specifically for certain mesh shapes. Our shape is already mesh, but a poor one. 

The new mesh is supposed to allow us to have a more realistic, or unrealistic, form available to us. For example, with the current methods, if we wanted to be a faun, we would have to wear leg attachments and hide our 'real' legs, with the new mesh faun avatars, the mesh body will be that of a faun. So no more ear attachments for elves, shape compressors for fae or whatever it is they do for centaurs, the mesh shape is no longer reliant upon the default male or female shape.

I have no idea how they are going to get skins to stretch over all that, but then again I just learned how to make a cube :)

edit: oh I just saw your edit. Do you really think the uniqueness of our avatars will be lost? How so? Right now there are only two mesh options available, male or female. Now limitless possibilities are being made available, so if anything, uniqueness and customization will only be increased. Is this what you meant?

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

edit: oh I just saw your edit. Do you really think the uniqueness of our avatars will be lost? How so? Right now there are only two mesh options available, male or female. Now limitless possibilities are being made available, so if anything, uniqueness and customization will only be increased. Is this what you meant?

Well, if there are mesh shapes in limited sizes and clothing cannot be adjusted to fit the shapes...then what?  So, for example, I buy a custom mesh shape (I dream) and I cannot find clothes that fit properly?  Sounds like a big mesh up.  LOL

I don't understand this mesh thing.  I'm not changing my shape or putting on another shape just to have a dress or outfit fit.  That would be like having to morph my avatar into another avatar just to wear the clothes then, not to mention that all the shapes would look alike.  As far as mesh for scenery, I'm sure that will be interesting to see.  But no, I'm not changing my shape into a pre-made one for each clothes I buy. 

.  But no, I'm not changing my shape into a pre-made one for each clothes I buy..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maya, i could not agree more, perhaps been in sl to long, or just happy with what I have.. but see no need to change what I am happy with

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

WilhiamMeshTest wrote:

I wish. As far as I know, there are no plans to backport mesh from Snowstorm to viewer 1-based third party clients, and I doubt that this is even possible. I've tried to get used to Firestorm, but it has too many flaws of viewer 2 and isn't anything like Phoenix. I've also tried Kirsten's and other v2 viewers, but none of them works for me.

If Phoenix users are supposed to use mesh, we need a mesh viewer with the Phoenix UI, or alternatively LL's v1.2 interface. It should be easy enough to implement as an option. Unless viewer 2 is an out-house development (it sure has the look and feel of third party software developed by a company that never bothered to use SL), which would be the worst decision in the history of SL.

Firestorm should be mesh enabled very soon (hopefully a week or 2), Jessica explained what is happening with Firestorm & also that some TPVs are trying to add mesh to v1s, on  The Phoenix Hour  yesterday.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.