Did it Mesh You Up?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Couldn't have said it better myself Ishtara. I agree with your sentiments and frustrations 100%. It would be a shame to lose another longtime contributor like you but, I understand if you decide to bail. I've been thinking the same. It appears that those of us who've been here so long supporting this platform and this company are the least valued.

ETA: I had written a lengthy response to the people who never have any problems with the viewer or LL's poor decisions, those who think we "just need a break" and the meshies but, meh. Not worth it. 

If you all hang around long enough and are as involved with SL as we have been (assuming this ship stays afloat another 5 or so years, which is questionable) you'll understand. In the meantime, enjoy the kool-aid.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the Daz 3d weekly emails. I am not affilliated with them, just interested in watching developments in 3d clothing etc. Look them up and subscribe perhaps? It's very interesting.

Marianne & Charo, thank you so much for posting those pictures. I think as mesh develops it will end up being fantastic. I have begun to have a fiddle myself. Oh you too Keli! as always, hot on the heels of the latest information 8^)

Take 3 to 6 months away from SL Ishtara. We do need someone like you, both in the forums and inworld. please? & thank you:)

Mayalily wrote:

I don't see how that is easy, as I've seen shapes from A to Z.  All different kinds of shapes so I don't see how just an A, B and C would work at all?  That limits the creativity to about three shapes. 

Don't take it too literally. It didn't mean actually only three.

Creators who design for plus size, shorter, or otherwise out of the 'norm' shapes would probably either partner with another designer for the clothes/avs, or, make it themselves. Built in market.

Hayley Spore wrote:

On the down side, how the hell am I going to find clothing that fits anymore?

Snapshot_221_closeup.png

Same way you do now I'd imagine.

Designers will have to keep up. It will be a bear for a while, but then it will be normal, just as with flexi, sculpts and more.

"I agree, there is no getting around the fact that the V2 UI sucks & is designed to be unmoddable. FS has done an excellent job of putting in options to make it more user friendly & adding back V1 features that LL took out, such as the pie menu & conversations box, but as the saying goes, you can`t make silk purse out of a sow`s ear."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I agree completely. I am now one of the significant percentage of residents who no longer even pay attention to the LLV2 development program. I continue to use Phoenix because of its intelligent design (though Firestorm is slowly getting better). I think it's a shame LL refused to scrap V2 and begin cooperative development work on V3 the moment the poop hit the fan, but I guess we are all used to LL living on another planet when it comes to human factors engineering, economics, politics, sociology, anthropology, organizational management, business finance and, well, most aspects of human behavior. LL are under-the-hood, nuts and bolts engineers for whom humans are an annoying nuisance.

The point is that the technological innovation of mesh in SL is greatly undermined by the decoherence of viewer development streams into three main branches:

• LL1.23/Snowglobe/Phoenix
  • LLV2
  • Firestorm and other redesigned versions of SLV2

For this reason, it will probably take years before the full benefits of mesh are utilized by residents. Even if Firestorm produces a mesh version next week, few people are going to walk around looking like idiots to 1/3 of the population. The time has come for LL to sit down with residents and developers to construct an intelligent and useful viewer. By solving the viewer problem, LL could begin to reap the full benefits of new technologies such as mesh.

Ceera Murakami wrote:

Keli Kyrie wrote:

This is what it looks like to a person on Firestorm.

And that is why I won't be purchasing any Mesh clothes or even attempting to create any Mesh items for sale for quite a while. Until the majority of Viewers support Mesh, using it can make you look like a fool to others.

The designers should not hold back their mesh designs for some unforeseen future "untill the majority use mesh enabled viewers". If there are only very few mesh items in the grid, lots of users might not see any reason to upgrade their viewers.

On the other hand if the grid is flooded with mesh items then the users surely have a good reason to upgrade their viewers. Unless they are satisfied just seeing strange silly objects with their old viewers. :smileytongue:

Here is a mesh long skirt. The difference between prim skirts and mesh is obvious?

mesh skirt collage.jpg

Of course nothing is perfect in all poses. In the middle, you can see a small edge where the pose deforms my hip. So it will be a cycling through poses to find those who work best. But I could not wear a slim fit long prim skirt and stand with my legs far apart like this without one leg poking through. Same with sitting poses, the mesh tries to cover better than prims, where the skirt would fall through the ground and only legs in glitchpants would be visible. Skirt from Jane.

mesh skirt collage sitting.jpg 

Marianne Little wrote:

I just want to add that the Jeans from Slink is free, so go and try it all who are curious. All sizes is in one box on the floor in the clothes building, right side of the landing point. 

Thank you Marianne I just got them. I love them. :)

Jeans_001.jpg

Jeans_002.jpg

Jeans_003.jpg

Pencil skirt! The left pose is mesh, the right pose is system skirt.

I will just say thet I forgot to take off my skirt shape when I was wearing the mesh skirt! I don't like so thin hips normally, but I had to use the skirt shape to show the system skirt as best as possible, and I was in a hurry and didn't put on the shape with hips in the pictures to the right. The reason why the system skirt is highwaisted, is because it has to use the glitch pants, and they are highwaisted. The mesh skirt is as high as the creator made it, also from Jane. If I wanted the highwaist look with the mesh skirt, I could easy wear a wide belt on jacket layer or the system pants part of another highwaist skirt with the mesh skirt. Yay for mix'n match! This is what I like, not full outfits with mesh.

Mesh pencilsystem skirt collage.jpg 

Deltango Vale wrote:

For this reason, it will probably take years before the full benefits of mesh are utilized by residents. Even if Firestorm produces a mesh version next week, few people are going to walk around looking like idiots to 1/3 of the population.

There are third-party viewers based on Linden Lab's Snowglobe 1.x (i.e. with the old UI) which are capable of rendering mesh (e.g. Astra Viewer).

I never modify my shape to fit the clothes; I modify the clothes to fit my shape.

As far as the first dresses in this thread the fit is bad and there is no way it would look good unless one has to modify their shape which I never do, so it's not silly at all.  It's my avatar, I paid for it, so my shape stays the way I make it since I am the one paying for it.

I also live in the land of sun dresses and I've tried sun dresses on in that style in real life, and if it's loose fitting in the bust area, just reaching for something in the grocery store exposes my breasts with just a very slight lean.  The only way a woman could wear a dress like the first two shown is to wear a tank top under the dress.  A longer hipper maxi type dress with a tank top underneath and a hip belt would look cuter and more realistic to me, and I'd probably wear something like that. 

I like the prim stuff, it has a better fit, and will continue to enjoy my wardrobe of cute prim clothes. 

@  Marianne, I like the clothes in the latest photos you are showing; those are cute, but I won't modify my shape to wear them nor put on another shape just to wear them even though they are cute.  If I change my shape, there goes "Your world, your imagination" as I'd have to look like a clone of someone else's shape, and I'm not doing that. 

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

Deltango Vale wrote:

For this reason, it will probably take years before the full benefits of mesh are utilized by residents. Even if Firestorm produces a mesh version next week, few people are going to walk around looking like idiots to 1/3 of the population.

There are third-party viewers based on Linden Lab's Snowglobe 1.x (i.e. with the old UI) which are capable of rendering mesh (e.g. Astra Viewer).

Astra is not on the approved TPV list & appears to be based on Imprudence, do you know for a fact that it supports mesh?

Mayalily wrote:

I never modify my shape to fit the clothes; I modify the clothes to fit my shape.

I agree, and I'm sort of in the same boat.

For me, mesh clothing is no more useful then no modify prim skirts or belts with a scripted resize in them. Every single one of them is purposely made to fit the standard pasty white chick with an unnaturally large bubble butt. One can easily get the hip width correct on the item, then look from the side and the stupid thing is 1/3 (one third!) too large front to back, and no way to fix it. The exact same thing happens with mesh clothing.. no options to adjust for individuality.. and so I'm absolutely not wasting any money on someone elses mesh clothing creations. It's not just about the shape, it's also about what one conveys when using these supposedly "form fitting" mesh clothing items. Yeah sure, I could probably get items like popular name mesh pants to contain my lower half, but then I too would be a white chick walking around with an unrealistic, and quite laughable wannabe ghetto booty... because it's built into the clothing. I'll pass and instead not settle for mediocrity, thanks anyway. Boots and shoes? you bet.. Clothing? not even a chance...

Good news for all who will not use V2: Cool viewer releases 1.26.1.0 wil mesh rendering features: http://sldev.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=540

Mayalily and you others: I wear an alpha layer for those skirts. I am not sure if you have worn a system skirt from the olde days? That skirt require that you make a system skirt shape, with butt set to 0 or 1-5, reduce hip width and love handles. People have been doing this for years, because the system skirts was floating a bit from the shape. I don't see much difference in wearing an alpha layer. FYI, I have not modified my shape in any picture posted here, only wearing the system skirt shape that I had before mesh was released.

To wear a mesh clothing will work best when the creator used a shape close to your own. So I am sure that I will not use all sort of mesh clothing, I will have stores that I prefer. I have already discovered that I need to look close on the demos. The jeans here looked amazing from the front, but my heels show through and the back pockets is blurry. As long as a demo is provided, I have no one else to blame than myself, I get too exited. I better calm down and look twice, yes?

6079367516_f201ae62ea.jpg

Oh they do provide demos. It was only me beeing overenthusiastic. The finger hoovering over "buy" and it is easily triggered these days, mind you! :D I feel a bit guilty for complaining, hehe.

Still a good buy, I would say. I have spent so much time trying to edit sculpted leg prims, if they look good from one side, the side seam would be off on the other side. I have often changed style or shoes just to get a look to work, so it's nothing new. Even if mesh isn't modifiable, it is possible to pull the shoes a bit. I am thrilled that mesh clothing does not cost more than other clothes. It will be hard for those who release mesh now to demand skyhigh prices, We have already seen mesh done well and reasonably priced.

It will be interesting to see how Bethesdas characters and clothing have advanced when Skyrim comes out, 11/11/11 (omg its almost here), since oblivion wiped everything off the radar way back in 2002. I hope we can make clothes for it too. The concensus is that the yukky Steam platform might restrict its modability which will make Beth a bit of a laughing stock :( 

The new morphs for poser and daz 3d are just awesome and yes, this should definately have been the default standard.

Informative thread, thanks to everyone for the input. I still cling to Phoenix for the maximum enjoyment factor and I don't think Keli wearing an innertube will change that (I kind of like the look, could you turn around so I can see the back?). But I keep trying V2 and Firestorm, I'm guessing that by the time mesh becomes widespread I'll be ready for the switch. I'm curious about other changes mesh will bring about aside from clothing, anybody got building or object pics to share?

And as I said in another mesh thread, if this brings about the demise of the pleated miniskirt I'm all for it.

Ps, don't all women have different buttsize shapes for different skirts?

Oh, I see, okay, an alpha layer to hide our custom made shape that we have created ourselves, still kind of "clonish" though in theory and kind of kills "your world, your imagination".    

However, I'm sure I'll try it at some point, but I'd rather the clothes fit to whatever shape I make.  So, mesh is just a wait n see thing for me. 

I have two mesh sample dresses and I'll try them eventually. 

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

LL should have spent more time on mesh development and released it sometime in 2012 with morph support and Poser style adjustment sliders for breast size, hip width etc. Without morph options, mesh clothes are quite useless. It's just as half-baked a solution as sculpties were.

Here's the post I'm referring to that Ishtara wrote.  Can what Keli and Ishtara posed be done? 

Archived