Invisible Avs: What are they?

WADE1 Jya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At my sim, I see two avs on my map. They only appear on map, not mini-map.

I can push the invisible avs around, so they are not ghosted. They don't respond to local chat.

I can't click on them, or see their names, so I can not IM them.

They aren't detectable through any Advanced Tools or Region Tools.

What are they? Is it just a glitch or are they people who want to be in SL completely undetectable? Are they likely up to no good or is this some random wierdness, nothing to worry about?

Never seen something like that before.

I'm guessing, or probably talking out of my anus, but reading your post made me remember something I recently read about an Avatar Visibility project on BlueSteel sims ...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/11

(about a third of the way down the screen "Avatar Visibility" comes up.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

.... Could be Lindens
:D

Ooooh Wade, what have you done this time? In some places Crocodiles are endangered species.. have you been skinning is an illegal place lately? 

@Marigold: I doubt Avatar Invisibility is the case here. Wade could push those avatars around but not able to see them or see their tags. The Avatar Invisibility will only work if you are standing in a different parcel as the avatar is standing on. . 

Ooh I didn't think of that! I was thinking some weird new kind of greifer or bot.

I guess they could have been Lindens!

I have heard Lindens can travel the grid undetected.... oh oh maybe I shouldn't have pushed them around :matte-motes-bashful:

@Sylvia: hehe that would be so cool if it was ninjas :matte-motes-big-grin:

@Willow: LOL nobody better be skinning my crocodiles :smileymad: That might be it though.... somebody was aiming to make boots or purses out of 'em & Linden was investigating the illegal hunting!    ...and then I came along and messed up the whole operation :matte-motes-crying:

• 2 months later...

11.07.12.235430 "Avatar Visibility" project. deployed 2011-07-13 Avatar Visibility This new feature adds the ability to control if residents on a parcel are visible to others outside that parcel, as well as the ability to see them. In other words, if TheFirst Resident is on one parcel and TheSecond Resident is on another, while this feature is enabled on either parcel, they will not see each other. Text chat on channel zero is blocked following the same rules. While this feature works with all viewer, a new version is required to change these options. In the version 2.8 viewer, the About Land / Options dialog will have a new checkbox. The llGetParcelDetails() function will now accept a new parameter PARCEL_DETAILS_SEE_AVATARS that may be passed into the function, and it will return an integer flag indicating if the setting is on or off. Both the large map and mini map work as before. Green dots will indicate the approximate location of an avatar, regardless of this new parcel setting. LSL sensors will function normally, and can detect the presence of avatars on parcels with this setting enabled. Text chat on channels other than zero are not blocked by this setting. If an avatar is on a vehicle with this feature enabled, the entire vehicle will not be seen. All existing parcels in Second Life default to the old behavior (showing residents on the parcel). To enable this feature on your parcel, you must have the new viewer with appropriate permissions, and then turn off the checkbox above. If the new viewer is used on an older simulator, the option will be checked and disabled. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetParcelDetails http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/PARCEL_DETAILS_SEE_AVATARS

• 4 months later...

It could either be people using an invisibility tool or Lindens. If it's an invisibility tool, you could easily highlight their dot on the minimap to see their names. There are also huds that can "tag" invisible avatars. For example, if an avatar named MrGriefer is sneaking around with an invisibility tool and causing trouble, the hud will put something like [DETECTED <MrGriefer>] above his head. If you enable "Highlight Transparent" you can see invisible avatars or in some cases you will see a cube or cylinder around the person. If there are invisible Lindens you may be able to find a working hud that can detect them. Just don't get caught with them since Linden-proof invisibility detectors may be considered an attempt to interfere with their moderator/developer tools.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I came across one.  I was in a place with no one else around but noticed a dot on the mini map.  When I looked, nobody was there.  I was curious so I bumped into him/her.  He/she asked who I was but before I could answer they said "you're nice" and skipped off.  I thought something was wrong on my end and I just couldn't see other AVs.  But, it seems there really are invisibility cloaks in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.